Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:05:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAbundant Music: Online Procedural Music Editor
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Abundant Music: Online Procedural Music Editor  (Read 32616 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »

Ok, this is what I want to achieve:
* Maximum permissive
* No stupid disputes between users over simple seeds. I own the "Poop" song!!
* Possible to copyright a song/song parameters given enough input and/or rendering. Use it like a tool
* No worries about copyright infringement with already existing songs that you generate by mistake

Is CC0/public domain the solution here?

Make human had the exact same problem:
http://makehuman.org/doc/node/makehuman_mesh_license.html
They explain their rational here

Other topic:
I was wondering if it was possible to bias the music output with "artificial ears" (basically a simple markov chain based on one or many input musics). I guess at the generation level it choose the most likely notes based on theory, but what if I want to say more like "this". Also it could be bias toward exception (where the theory break)... That's something I wanted to do until you start this project.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »

maybe krasse could setup an advanced mode that would require registration to access a more ergonomic interface and non-essential toys, without hindering the normal editing possibilities.
This is such a cool program, I wouldn't see a problem if he could monetize it a little bit

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2013, 01:40:40 PM »

Make human had the exact same problem:
http://makehuman.org/doc/node/makehuman_mesh_license.html
They explain their rational here

Other topic:
I was wondering if it was possible to bias the music output with "artificial ears" (basically a simple markov chain based on one or many input musics). I guess at the generation level it choose the most likely notes based on theory, but what if I want to say more like "this". Also it could be bias toward exception (where the theory break)... That's something I wanted to do until you start this project.

That was a really helpful link, thanks a lot Gimym TILBERT!
Nice to see that someone has gone through this confusion and settled for CC0.

The other topic: I have a lot of places where I put in "typical" musical variables like for harmony progressions, voice leading and figuration. Here it is possible to enter other values that will produce a completely different result, especially when it comes to voice leading and figuration.
Some of those variables are visible in the "Parameters" and "Domains" tabs but most of them are not accessible in the GUI yet.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2013, 03:13:46 PM »

Since Timidity can export midis to Wav and wav can be encoded to ogg, could you make ogg export for this marvelous program?

Also you should check out NTONYX sound font. It's definitely best free sound font out there and it can be easily configured for use with Timidity.

//edit: Also it'd be nice to be able to generate "looping" songs for usage in videogames, unless I am missing something (played with thing just for few minutes).

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2013, 03:41:30 AM »

Ok, this is what I want to achieve:
* Maximum permissive
* No stupid disputes between users over simple seeds. I own the "Poop" song!!
* Possible to copyright a song/song parameters given enough input and/or rendering. Use it like a tool
* No worries about copyright infringement with already existing songs that you generate by mistake

Is CC0/public domain the solution here?

I think CC0 would be fine, yeah.  I know there's a slight potential for abuse there, but I think the freedom of knowing your song is yours makes it worth it.

I think it also takes care of that last bit, where there might be copyright issues.  By using CC0 (which effectively waives your copyright claim) the onus is on the user to make sure their work doesn't violate someone else's copyright.  (Which is a whole other issue, and basically impossible to avoid if you're making music at all.)

If you've chosen that one, could you put a notice on the Help menu about it?  I'd love to use it for the next Ludum Dare, and that's just over a week away.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2013, 05:33:26 AM »

Christ. You guys are talking about this so much I might actually have to try this thing.
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2013, 06:33:35 AM »

Christ. You guys are talking about this so much I might actually have to try this thing.
I was just thinking the same thing Smiley  When GreyKnight (the guy who is helping out with the creative side of my current project) found out that this tool existed and heard a sample, he immediately suggested that we use it.  Now that the legal issues seem to be clearing up, that is looking like a viable option Coffee

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2013, 06:50:08 AM »

the secret is to let tools do all the work for you. slave away on that and life is easy-street.
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2013, 06:53:34 AM »

the secret is to let tools do all the work for you. slave away on that and life is easy-street.
Programming, after all, is the art of doing less work Grin

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2013, 07:12:40 AM »

and god invented emacs. then he totally fucked it up.  /tangent
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2013, 07:30:35 AM »

Programming, after all, is the art of doing less work Grin
Programmin is the art of doing a lot of work to do less ... forever

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2013, 07:48:13 AM »

doing 0 is the singularity. //tangent
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2013, 10:01:26 AM »

the secret in your case would be to stop the litany and actually start doing shit

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »

well, research is shit. you can't start construction of a bridge if you know it will fall down. the type of my bridge is very, very new. so there's a lot more research required. but I'm working for real now, just slowly.

///tangent
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2013, 10:21:28 AM »

start small, grow later

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »

in development yes, absolutely.

(sorry to op. we're like this sometimes)
krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2013, 10:53:18 AM »

I've put the CC0 stuff in the help menu now.

Going to use it myself for Ludum Dare Smiley

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2013, 10:53:44 AM »

Any plans on generating music into other formats than MIDI? Because MIDI always sound different, depending on soundfont and various settings and OGG or MP3 always sound same on every PC (though I prefer OGG - not for openness of format, but because better quality to filesize ratio).

I have also question about backend, seeing it is webapp. Do you use PHP, Ruby, Python or is it CGI site?

Be a computer virus!

krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »

Any plans on generating music into other formats than MIDI?

I have also question about backend, seeing it is webapp. Do you use PHP, Ruby, Python or is it CGI site?

I previously had a server running that rendered MP3s and OGGs, had user login and all that, but it was a bit heavy.

Currently, everything is done in the client and the server is just Dropbox Smiley

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »

Ah, okay. But I can't see how you can generate MIDIs in JS app Wink.

Anyway, it'd be worthwhile to reinstate that server - I'm sure people would donate for hosting.

Be a computer virus!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic