Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:46:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAbundant Music: Online Procedural Music Editor
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Abundant Music: Online Procedural Music Editor  (Read 32611 times)
krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2013, 02:45:02 AM »

looks amazing! I'm looking forwards to see the "compose" part of your program
Thanks!

Do you mean the "compose" button?
It should be visible once you change any of the settings.

krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2013, 01:54:15 AM »

Update 17

* Added

. It can produce interesting and horrible harmony at the moment. I need to read more harmony theory Smiley
* Improved/varied the added harmonic content (arpeggios, block chords etc.). There is a very simple strum for example. This will later turn into a better customization of such content.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:02:30 AM by krasse » Logged

Pookaball
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2013, 04:21:59 AM »

Oh I love this music generator! I even knew of it existing before seeing it on Tigforums! Keep up the good job! ;3
pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2013, 05:02:07 AM »

How do you play the music it's generated? Also, on my export I only see MIDI as an option, can you no longer do OGG?
krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2013, 06:44:46 AM »

How do you play the music it's generated? Also, on my export I only see MIDI as an option, can you no longer do OGG?

If you have Chrome installed, you can open a "Player" window and preview the song with crappy and primitive instruments.
You can also export to Midi and play it with a Midi synth, like timidity, Gervill, Synthfont or even the Media player in windows.

I removed the Ogg and Mp3 rendering support since it required such a heavy server. The rendering was made with timidity with a large soundfont.

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2013, 06:56:09 AM »

Ah, so you can't play in Firefox, I guess that answers that then.

No worries about the OGG. Should be able to import the Midi into something like MadTracker and fiddle with instruments Smiley

Cheers
krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2013, 12:01:48 PM »

The player should actually work in Firefox Aurora, but there is an issue that makes it sound crappy at the moment Smiley

krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2013, 06:58:48 AM »

Update 18
* Added new phrase types for lengthening certain parts of the harmony. It is now possible to lengthen the dominant and the final tonic. This can give a nice variation/asymmetry/suspended feeling to phrases. This is also reflected in the default phrase domain in songs, if you press the "Set Default" button in the "Domains" tab first to reset the local storage Smiley
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:29:54 AM by krasse » Logged

Dialock
Level 0

Not dead yet.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2013, 11:26:39 AM »

I love how every random thing I change still produces 'acceptable' music.  I'll have to try harder.

@CWIPRE
pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »

The player should actually work in Firefox Aurora, but there is an issue that makes it sound crappy at the moment Smiley
Okay, thanks. I'm going to enjoy playing with this, though I don't actually understand what I'm doing Wink
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2013, 12:53:27 PM »

sorry if I missed that in the thread, but what is the legal status of the music produced with that?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »

sorry if I missed that in the thread, but what is the legal status of the music produced with that?
My knowledge about this is very limited, but I think that Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported is the license I'll go for, if it is possible with an application like this Smiley

krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2013, 03:48:04 AM »

Update 19
* Added a Midi export option that exports all chords into a new channel (as a single block chord per harmony index). This is useful when you want to import the song into another program and enhance/modify it in some way.
* Added a new Oscillating/Static procedural chromatic harmony type/phrase.

krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »

Update 20
* Allowing more root movement in harmony, but with lower likelihood. This gives more varied harmonic rythms.
* Made the harmonic fillers (arpeggios and block chords etc.) more interesting.

wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2013, 03:08:40 AM »

My knowledge about this is very limited, but I think that Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported is the license I'll go for, if it is possible with an application like this Smiley

Can you even restrict that?  It seems to me this is a tool for making music, and the music doesn't exist without human interaction. 

I must also say that even trying to restrict the license of the music in any way makes me unlikely to use it at all.  The last thing I need to be worrying about is someone trying to sue me for using a free tool.

Props to you for all the work you've done.  It's looking great!  But I can't afford a legal battle.  Not even a potential one.
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2013, 05:35:28 AM »

This is pretty neat.
I'll have to play around with this some more.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2013, 06:24:16 AM »

Can you even restrict that?  It seems to me this is a tool for making music, and the music doesn't exist without human interaction. 

I must also say that even trying to restrict the license of the music in any way makes me unlikely to use it at all.  The last thing I need to be worrying about is someone trying to sue me for using a free tool.

Props to you for all the work you've done.  It's looking great!  But I can't afford a legal battle.  Not even a potential one.
As he said, it would be almost impossible to enforce. I was asking out of politeness because I think I might use this in the future to learn to make music.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2013, 08:06:47 AM »

Ok, this is what I want to achieve:
* Maximum permissive
* No stupid disputes between users over simple seeds. I own the "Poop" song!!
* Possible to copyright a song/song parameters given enough input and/or rendering. Use it like a tool
* No worries about copyright infringement with already existing songs that you generate by mistake

Is CC0/public domain the solution here?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:45:32 AM by krasse » Logged

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »

This is... really, really cool. Knowing nothing about music or audio in genereal, I can press randomize on everything and still come out with an amazing song somehow. I can't even begin to understand how you created something like this.

edit: One thing though is that I love the 'primitive' instruments used by the web player. When I export, it sounds completely different. So, to bypass that I have to play the song in the webplayer and hit record on Audacity (recording my output). It works, but I wish there was a way to output the songs exactly as they sound in the web player.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:49:59 AM by Thomas Finch » Logged

krasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »

This is... really, really cool. Knowing nothing about music or audio in genereal, I can press randomize on everything and still come out with an amazing song somehow. I can't even begin to understand how you created something like this.

edit: One thing though is that I love the 'primitive' instruments used by the web player. When I export, it sounds completely different. So, to bypass that I have to play the song in the webplayer and hit record on Audacity (recording my output). It works, but I wish there was a way to output the songs exactly as they sound in the web player.

Thanks!
It shouldn't be a huge thing to do what you describe with the web player, since web audio now supports offline rendering.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic