Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:08:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs⋙-[ Rangers ]--▶
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Author Topic: ⋙-[ Rangers ]--▶  (Read 60194 times)
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2015, 02:23:21 PM »

Hey, this looks great! It's fine if you're not sure what direction to go yet - you're doing exactly the right thing. Just keep filling in the world and details, while you figure it out!

Though personally, I liked the earlier, more open ideas of simply survival, maybe some light exploration, etc? But I'd rather it not be linear, or too much so. I think keeping it open/exploration is what this game wants to do Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2015, 02:58:59 PM »

Hi,

Are you still working on this game? I write music and would love to be a part of this. If you're interested you'll find my music here https://open.spotify.com/album/1tlOC3aSiEEDzlG9bm3dEF
https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos (I made the videos as well)
https://soundcloud.com/olasandberg

I'd be super into making more digital music towards the "bitty" sort of lo-fi stuff. But I'm still into ambient music, think the two would combine well. I'm currently studying music production and will begin my last year this fall and get my bachelors degree next year. If my grammar is a bit off I blame being from Sweden.

Get back to me if you're interested.
Best,
Ola

Just made an update post today, so yes, I am working on it.  However, I have a friend who's been doing music for the game, and has done a few tracks already.  Thank you for the offer though!

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2015, 07:35:45 PM »

New meadow-themed area.  Also, I decided to reuse the old character design/animations from Traversia.  Mostly because they look nicer, but I also came up with a new idea for the story, that will still involve the park and rangers, but you'll be playing as a tourist, with basically the same role I had for the ranger before.  Don't want to reveal too much stuff just yet.  Tongue

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2015, 07:15:05 PM »

Worked on extended gamepad support today, part of which included an in-game keyboard for file select stuff:

I was originally only going to have the keyboard for gamepad support, but I like the "classic" feel of it, and decided to keep it for actual keyboard use as well.  More fun that way.  Tongue
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:35:15 PM by Forstride » Logged

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2015, 01:06:13 AM »

Added in climbing and crawling tonight.

Climbing works 100% properly, because it's just a small modification of the normal movement code, and works properly with the collision detection (Which is separate from movement).

Crawling though, is a bit less stable.  It's working for the most part, although I've run into a few bugs with it that I've fixed kind of shoddily, so I'll probably end up having to fix things again in the future.  Also need to do an animation for it, which I'll probably end up putting off for a while.  Tongue

I also fixed some stuff with slopes.  Before, there was only proper collision detection if the player was moving up a slope, and the player would sort of "fall" down slopes awkwardly because of gravity, but I added collision detection for moving down slopes, so it's nice and smooth now.

-----------

Not exactly sure what I should work on now.  I kind of want to put off mapping for a while, until I have more of a proper direction for the game.  Might just take a break for a while until I know what I want to do.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2015, 04:10:26 AM »

I worked on rough drafts of the map layout over the past few days, and I think I'm satisfied with what I have.  Decided to draw an overworld map today, and implemented a map menu:

It'll just let you see where you are in the game, and highlight other areas you've visited.  I don't plan on doing any kind of fast travel system, aside from caverns, but you have to find/unlock them first.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 05:08:37 AM by Forstride » Logged

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2015, 04:37:49 PM »

Did some hack-y water reflections:

As much as I like them, I'm probably not going to keep them, because as far as I know, the way I'm doing it isn't really that stable.

I don't know much about surfaces and whatnot with Game Maker, so the way I'm doing it now is creating sprites from the application surface every frame (Although, it just replaces the old ones, but it's doing it every frame, which isn't good) and drawing them.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2015, 11:41:51 AM »

I spent most of today trying to fix water reflections and do them properly with surfaces (And then getting them to look nice), and I finally did it.

The new method is much more efficient compared to saving sprites from the application surface every frame, and doesn't have a risk of causing a memory leak as far as I know.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2015, 03:55:19 PM »

Spent some time last night working on the camera, and gave it a nice and smooth acceleration/deceleration, as opposed to just sticking to the player's x coordinate.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2015, 01:43:28 AM »

Reworked the bow graphics for the heck of it:

ViSpear
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2015, 03:46:05 AM »

Wow the colors and animations are beautiful! I especially like the light beams  Smiley. Is the gameplay just going to be hunting or something similar?
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2015, 10:03:25 AM »

I don't really know what I want to do honestly.  I'm thinking of something along the lines of an adventure platformer, with survival elements thrown in possibly.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2015, 04:32:17 AM »

Made some kind of promo background image thing:

I wanted to do something where it showed the range of seasons as well as time of day all in one image, so I came up with this.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2015, 04:48:38 AM »

looks really pretty :3

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2015, 04:51:28 AM »

Dang, them some pretty graphics. I'd be interested in what you plan for gameplay. Hunting cute forest animals seems kinda out of place. Looks like the game is more of a zen experience to me, but I'll be watching to see where it's headed.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2015, 05:05:10 AM »

Dang, them some pretty graphics. I'd be interested in what you plan for gameplay. Hunting cute forest animals seems kinda out of place. Looks like the game is more of a zen experience to me, but I'll be watching to see where it's headed.

Thanks!

As far as the gameplay goes, hunting isn't the sole focus.  My initial idea was to do a survival game with hunger, thirst, body temperature, etc., with a story to go with it, but I'm not really sure.  I then thought to have it focused more on adventure and puzzles than survival, but I want the game to feel open-ended in a way.

If the game was too linear, the dynamic elements of the game (Day/night cycle, seasons, weather, wildlife, etc.) wouldn't really matter much, and I want them to be an important part of the game.  But on the other hand, games that are too open-ended just get boring after a while, unless there's some kind of main goal in the game outside of just continuously playing it.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2015, 11:31:06 PM »

Made a cabin:

I was kind of dreading doing the shingles, cause I figured the perspective would just be completely off, but I think it turned out okay.

Gotta add smoke particles for the chimney, and some other decorative stuff for the outside of the cabin.  Really not looking forward to doing indoor tiles.  Tongue  I much prefer doing natural outdoor stuff.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:45:24 AM by Forstride » Logged

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2015, 04:39:45 PM »

Made a new environment test video, showing off the cabin area with full video and audio:

The audio quality is a bit crappy, but it gets the point across I guess.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2015, 06:05:02 PM »

Had to switch to a sprite-based font so I could use images in text for buttons and whatnot:

I also started reworking the HUD.  Still not sure about positioning for the item icons.  I might try out a centered HUD style, which is what a lot of games have been doing lately.  Seeing as you're going to be focused on the player in the middle of the screen, it makes sense.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:33:52 PM by Forstride » Logged

Sharif
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2015, 06:38:15 PM »

I really like the map layout for the game.  Looks really good.

Follow me @SharifGaines| Follow on Twitter Facebook| Check out The Sentient
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic