Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 11:00:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs⋙-[ Rangers ]--▶
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: ⋙-[ Rangers ]--▶  (Read 60186 times)
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »

Blink Blink

siskavard
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »

Instagram edition?
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2013, 10:14:31 AM »

Instagram edition?

This is Instagram edition;
http://i.imgur.com/FzHbxiu.jpg

Look at that beauty!
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2013, 10:39:17 AM »

The overground stuff and the map holding view are awesome! It's a huge contrast to the underground stuff which seems very uninspiring at the moment (as from a different game even). I hope you can figure out how to give the caves as much detail and life as the overground!

Also: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185894/Its_official_XNA_is_dead.php
Those underground sections are old, and were essentially just mockups.  I've been working on improving the tileset for it, with more plants, variety in architecture (Instead of just having it be comprised of blocks), etc.

They'll definitely be lush, as that's one of my biggest focuses with the game.  Most areas will be lush, and if they aren't, they'll be really dead (Like a volcanic area).

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »

Spiffy. I too, am looking forward to how this plays out. Hitting any snags, or would you like to bounce some ideas?

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2013, 10:47:30 PM »

Poe and I have been having some second thoughts about how this is all going to work.  He brought up that he's going to be going to college later this year, and that he might not even be able to work on it that much.

So I think it's just going to go back to me doing the programming and whatnot in Game Maker: Studio, and then having him step in and do certain things that I don't know how to, if needed.

I'm also having second thoughts on what I really want the game to be.  I don't know if I'm ready to take on a huge endeavor like I have planned with Traversia so far.  But on the other hand, I don't want what I've made so far to go to waste on a much smaller project.

-------------

IDK, we'll see how things turn out in the coming months.  I doubt it will turn around for the better, but it'll just go back to how it was at first if it doesn't.  And in some ways, it's probably for the better, at least for me.  I'll actually be able to work on the core of the game, and do what I want to do, without having to consult anyone else.

trurkowski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2013, 08:29:12 AM »

Just wanted to share some new music for Traversia:

http://soundcloud.com/trurkowski/breeze-traversia

Traveskyn Meadow

Sound Design & Music Composition<br />http://soundcloud.com/trurkowski
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2013, 09:15:56 AM »

Ah, wow! I've been seeing this in the screenshots thread but didn't realize it had it's own thread. Good job, this looks awesome.  Gentleman
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2013, 03:43:16 PM »

Did new animations for the grass today.  Looks really, really good.  Also added wind that affects how fast the grass sways, how fast the leaves/pine needles fall, and how fast the windmill in the background spins.

There are little gusts that happen randomly for a few seconds, and it really adds to the dynamic-ness of the environment, which is already REALLY nice.

Just waiting on siskavard to do an idle animation for the deer sprite I made last night, so I can do a video showing off the forest area, and how lively it is.

trurkowski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2013, 06:37:43 AM »

New music variation for the Forest area!

http://soundcloud.com/trurkowski/light-breeze

This one is calmer  Big Laff

Sound Design & Music Composition<br />http://soundcloud.com/trurkowski
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »

First video of Traversia:

The quality is crappy, as I didn't know what settings to export with in Adobe Premiere.  Tongue

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »

S'a little weird that the grass all has the same image index as it sways, perhaps add a random offset to their image speed on creation?

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »

S'a little weird that the grass all has the same image index as it sways, perhaps add a random offset to their image speed on creation?
I can try it to see how it looks, but I don't think it would look as nice.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »

Well not a huge one, mind you, just enough that they aren't all at the same frame.

ompuco
Level 3

oh my god whats happening

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2013, 02:32:57 PM »

Personally, I think the deer could probably use a few more frames of animation, and the grass might look good with a bit more dynamic swaying to give an idea of wind moving through, though I'm not too sure if that second suggestion would work too well. Everything else looks gorgeous in motion, though!

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2013, 03:20:08 PM »

Personally, I think the deer could probably use a few more frames of animation, and the grass might look good with a bit more dynamic swaying to give an idea of wind moving through, though I'm not too sure if that second suggestion would work too well. Everything else looks gorgeous in motion, though!
I'll see if siskavard can improve the main idle animation a bit (Tail/fluff/ear moving).  I also thought it could use a bit more to it...He's also still doing the walking animation for it, so they'll move around a bit at random times.  The grazing animation (Bending their heads down for a bit) is also random, both how long they keep their heads down, and the amount of time for when they bend their heads down again.

Also, I tried the random "image index" for the grass.  I said image index with quotes because it's not actually an animation.  The "animation" is done through code, with each grass tile having 4 frames, with different sections of it in each frame.  I don't know why I did it this way as opposed to having an actual animation, but it works, so I'm not going to change it.

Anyway, the random grass looks nice, so I'll keep it.  Thanks for the suggestion!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 03:26:01 PM by Forstride » Logged

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »

It's coming along! doesn't look/feel very natural yet though. I'd suggest being more subtle with the animations instead of having everything be in constant motion. the wilderness is often very still.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »

Yeah, you're right.  I'll see what I can do with maybe having the grass move a lot slower at times.

I still want it to feel lush and lively though, so it won't be really slow for the majority of the time.

ClayB
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2013, 07:51:15 AM »

The music (I will probably listen to this on my own time just for enjoyment) and the graphics create a great mood. I love chill levels <3

Right now you have the mood that makes people play exploration games, I look forward to seeing your take on more environments!
poe
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »

https://twitter.com/Trurkowski the musician is a genius, just sayin.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic