Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:24:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCapriccio! A Musical Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Capriccio! A Musical Game  (Read 749 times)
chaated
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2012, 07:54:33 AM »

Capriccio!

This is a platformer-style game fused with a virtual piano.  Here is the first screenshot / mockup:

The premise is that there is a little virtual piano that you can play (more keys to come in the future) and certain music note combinations (in sequence or together like as a chord) will perform different actions (mini speed boost, double jump, etc).  The user will have a lot of freedom to make music, play around, or just try to finish each challenge as efficiently as possible.

A lot of potential depending on how difficult I try to make it - for instance, listening to the background music for major/minor shifts (major key combinations won't work if minor key music is playing, etc...) or even key changes.  I'm just not sure, from a design perspective, if this actually pushes the game into "too hard" mode.  But I think the people who do play it will LOVE it!  Had some discussions about using music to inform the end user instead of forcing them to create the music, but I think giving them more freedom will make the experience more enjoyable.

Long term, this would work for touch-screen or keyboard.  Touch screen will be intuitive and probably more "fun", but keyboard will let you do combinations faster and respond more quickly.  I considered allowing Xbox controllers, but then notes would be limited (realistically) to 4 - one for each button - and I didn't want to compromise on that.

Right now I'm working on just the basic engine and getting my tile editor of choice working.  The handsome gentleman can run around, do a few moves.  More updates will come along the way!

Immediate to do list:
-Create tile set for levels
-Create the first 5 levels or so and make sure can seamlessly move through them
-Start to finalize list of note combinations
-Create .mp3 files for each note (right now using terrible ones)
Box99
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »

So, rhythm based combo platforming? That could be very interesting indeed. I hope you can match the art up with such a cool concept. Good luck to ya.
chaated
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »

Some concept art for it so far.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic