Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:59:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVoyage
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Voyage  (Read 1654 times)
RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 16, 2012, 08:59:57 PM »

Voyage

Concept
Voyage is an artistic game where you play as a 40-something year-old man/woman who gives up life in society to explore the seven seas as a sailor.

The core of the game would take place primarily on the surface of the ocean and be seen from either a side or angled frame of view. Throughout the course of the game, the player will explore the world, discovering a variety of different methods of “play”. These methods of play--things such as fishing, exploring, finding treasure and shipmates, discovering new things about the world and sea battling--will all be core to the gameplay and progress the metagame. The game will begin at a deliberately slow, relaxing pace and ultimately speed up as time goes on.

Ultimately, your goal is simply to discover everything the world has to offer to you. I don't want to pressure the player and I don't want to have them feel a constant tinge of terror. I want them to relax and enjoy nature. Through it all, the player character (PC) will become more and more like a seafarer who gains control over the seven seas. Whether or not you’re a good or a bad person is both up to you, and determined by the rules that you set for the seas and for yourself.

What Makes This Special?
I'm just looking to make a charming adventure game where you can relax, enjoy nature, solve some mysteries and explore a little. Nothing horrendously complex. Just something mildly entertaining with a relaxing atmosphere. So, special? Only if you want it to be!

I'll also be keeping somewhat of a daily log keeping you guys up-to-date on what kind of things I'm designing and arting (and what Jacques Yeates (musician) is making). The overall goal of this project is to create a game through a transparent design process. You can read in more detail about each day at my blog if you're interested.

Day 1 : Conceptual Phase
Just me and my raft, yo...and my fishing rod

So, to summarize what's posted at my blog, I came across the idea for Voyage while I was working on a game for my Game History and Development class at Champlain College. Dolphin Squadron, as it was called, is a game about dolphins. It's blue and there is the ocean and it felt nice. So nice in fact, that I though that I needed the ocean to be a big part of one of my games. I mean, the blues! I'm not an artist by trade, I'm a designer, but I just knew I had to make some concept art, so I made this stuff and I was happy.

Somewhere during the first day of development, I figured that I didn't want to be super secretive with this project. I wanted to make the development as transparent as possible. I want people to see my mistakes (and maybe my victories that I have sometimes, maybe)! To see how the game progresses! I just hope that I'm an interesting enough guy that my posts are enjoyable to read and maybe inspire newer developers (I'm somewhat new myself) ;P.

Anyway, today was the day that I conceptualized the game and fleshed it out a little more. It should be noted that this isn't my primary project (Dolphin Squadron is currently), but I wanted to log the development of this project somewhere where other developers reside. Maybe I'll learn something and get better at this whole game design thing in the process. I noticed that after my failure of a first project (City Across the Sky) I got pretty secretive with my games. NO LONGER!

Anyway, today was conceptual development day. I pretty much made some mock-ups of how I maybe, kind of, sometimes, in my head want the game to look. For motion I was thinking of limiting movement to a strictly linear, 2D path while on land (ala platformers), but open up the ocean a little, allowing the player to move towards, and away from, the camera while on water/at sea. It would be a like, metaphor for the open seas! In my head, I was messing with the possibility of a zooming mechanic where as you progress through the game and get more advanced things, the camera zooms out a little. The close camera makes the game intimate, but I think that intimacy goes away a little as you get more stuff, so the camera should maybe accommodate that.

But at the same time, maybe I'll just let the player control the camera to some extent. Give them a little freedom. Who knows? It's early development! Day 1 even! The whole point of this phase is to dream up as many ideas as possible! So that's what I'm doing.

That's all for today!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:11:59 PM by Ninjuit » Logged

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »

This seems like a cool concept, I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it.
Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »

I love the concept and the mockups, I'm following this !

wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »

That's a pretty inspiring concept!  I think if I had any art skills at all, it'd be a lot of fun to do something like it. 
RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »

@C.D Buckmaster: I'm looking forward to seeing where I take it as well. Tongue
@Geoffrey: You can follow this and my other game stuff at my blog (in signature) if you'd like!
@wccrawford: Like I said, I'm not really an artist by trade, and I've never really used colors before, so I'm kind of winging it. Haha.

Day 2: Conceptual Development
Testing a different camera distance

It's Day 2 and I've been working somewhat diligently on Voyage since yesterday. I'm glad to come here and see that I've got even 3 nice comments about the conceptual stuff I've got going! I wasn't really expecting people to like it very much, to be honest. Haha. Anyway, at my blog (signature link), I discussed how I've been improving the quality of the image in my head. Now that I kind of know what the game will probably, maybe look like and how it'll flow, I can let it settle for a little while and consider some other aspects of the game.

It should probably be noted that over the next three weeks, I'm on break and I don't really plan on doing anything past conceptual stuff. I'm hoping to focus on concepts and discussion. But, maybe if Polycode comes out this holiday season, I'll try and make a prototype of the movement engine and love the shit out of it. ;P

Anyway, I've decided to limit the recapping of information from my blog in favor of a greater focus on other things here (I don't want to write the same things twice, but I also don't want to, like, just copy and paste). At the Siifour Studios blog, I talked about the motion system a little bit as well as linked to a WIP song from Jacques Yeates.

Motion
Motion studies/example/concept

So, while I think that my image sums up my conceptual motion system pretty easily, I'll describe it briefly. I want to limit motion while you're on land, but open up movement pretty significantly while you're on the water (and have acquired a real boat). The arrows represent the potential paths of motion and the text is explaining how I'm thinking about using 2.5D and some other graphical tricks (which may or may not exist) to maybe allow for progression into the background. Assuming that this is possible with 2D or 2.5D, I'll definitely make it work. If it's not, maybe I can come up with another system or just use 3D with 2D style models?

This leads me into a discussion of art and music.

Art and Music
We have a strong, vibrant desire to incorporate a real-time (game-time) day/night system. I want to design a system where wispy, or clumpy thunder clouds fade/scroll in and out of existence and where the color of the sky dynamically changes. A system where the gradient layers "move" around and fade among other things. The sun and moon need to travel in beautifully arced paths and sometimes, like in real-life, they need to be visible at the same time! The stars, if the weather permits it, should be visible as the sun sets, and as it rises. Sunlight needs to reflect off of surfaces like water based on where it is in the sky! I'm imagining a beautiful pixel-style landscape where the atmosphere itself feels dynamic.

And there will be particle effects. A bunch of them! These can be anything from rain effects, to particle fogs and floating sparkly debris.

To this degree, I'm envisioning using a 3D engine, or something that supports a 3D camera and particle effects.

Musically, just take a listen to Jacques' concept music and you'll understand some of the "feels" I'm hoping to achieve. As far as music and art go from a coding standpoint though, I'm currently at a loss. I'm about 70% sure that once I design more of the game, specifically the nitty-gritty aspects of the dynamic-2D-weather-and-time-of-day system, I'll have a much better idea of how I'll go about coding it all! I'm hoping to also figure out dynamic music for this project, but I'm already familiar with a useful system I like to call "musical-flairs".

Musical Flairs
My non-patented, completely awesome "musical-flairs" system is very complicated. You make like five whole different song snippets for a general location or aesthetic and you play them at varying intervals with break periods in between them. Usually, these songs have something thematically similar about them. Like a motif. But the point of the system is to allow for atmospheric sounds to actually be heard and for sound effects to be important for a short period of time as well.

Secondarily, this allows for me to pick and choose which song is played based on atmospheric conditions, or where the player is currently/what he or she is doing. For a slow-paced game like Voyage probably will be, having :30-1:30 minute songs, followed by 30 seconds of awesome silence/atmospheric sound effects would be grand. With the right music, some nice timing, and some great atmosphere, I think I will be able to achieve some serious "feels".

But...that's assuming I don't suck and can figure out how to code all of this stuff.

That's all for today!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:27:20 PM by Ninjuit » Logged

Ashkin
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 07:23:41 PM »

Good concept, though rather ambitious. I hope you can achieve it.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 11:32:34 PM »

Really digging the concept!

RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 08:38:38 PM »

@Ashkin: It's definitely ambitious, but if necessary, I'll rethink the gameplay/movement system and rework it into something that is worth the effort!
@saibot216: Thanks! Follow my blog!

Day 3: Atmosphere
Witness a beautiful sunset...

Alright, so, today my post might be a little bit short because I spent the majority of my morning getting my tooth drilled (for the first time!) and working on my other project (Dolphin Squadron). I didn't really have time to do much conceptual work with Voyage other than making a mock-up or two of how I'd like the skies to look during transitional periods between day and night.

Literally 3 minutes ago, I was talking with Jacques about musical stuff and how we're going to--...I'll just let Jacques explain it.

Jacques Yeates: "ADAPTIVE MUSIC VIA VERTICAL RE-ORCHESTRATION, BABY"

So, we'll be using vertical re-orchestration as our primary method of adaptive music. The process is very simple. Pretty much you just create music as layers, then start all of the layers at the same time--but with some layers turned off--and then when you encounter a situation that calls for some crazy percussion or an awesome violin, you fade that layer in. BAM! Adaptive music. It's as simple as that. Who knew? Not me, for sure.

It allows for music to react almost naturally to the environmental conditions and to the situation that the player finds him/herself in. It's a great system and I love it. Add in my awesome musical flairs system and you've got a musical love-making process in the works. That's definitely a good way to create some "feels" and establish an atmosphere. Now, I just hope that the artistic part of the coding isn't horrendously difficult. I can deal with having to make all the art, but coding it in might be a little difficult!

Some Thoughts
The perspective on this sunrise is pretty nice I like to think.

I'm really happy with how this concept art stuff is coming along; and if I don't end up using this art-style for the game (even though I probably will), I could definitely make a point and click adventure tale in the style over a few weeks or for a game jam. As far as developing gameplay goes, I'm not really focusing on it too much at the moment. I have tons of ideas in my head and such, but they all kind of focus on some sort of story/world dynamic. The gameplay systems themselves are very simple.

In that regard, I'm kind of developing the "feels" first before I do anything else. I'm hoping to make literally everything in the game adhere to these rules of "atmosphere". I want the player to feel some of the things that you feel when you see a beautiful night sky for the first time, or when you're a child and you discover something you didn't know before and find interesting. That feeling of awe from seeing something you can't believe, the ping of discovery--these are things I want. Over the next few weeks I hope I'll figure out some basic conceptual approaches to achieving this immersion, but for now, I have concept art! Grin

Sadly, that's all I have to say here today.
More at my blog! In my sig.

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 11:30:54 AM »

I'm loving the skies and the day time and the weather. Darn good stuff.

RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 08:47:44 PM »

@saibot216: Thanks for the support. Glad you like the art! I'm hoping to maybe keep a very similar art-style. I'll probably improve a lot as I continue to make it though!

Day 4: Movement
Showing a concept of sailing behind an island

So, I ended up spending more time playing and coding Dolphin Squadron today than I spent doing much else. I've added SPACE and it's mildly exciting to me, so I didn't get too much done today with Voyage design. Regardless, I managed to find some time to shower this morning and I ended up thinking about the mechanics of movement for the game. This time in a bit more detail.

In one of my previous posts, I conceptualized a motion system where you could potentially move directly towards the background of the screen and stuff might grow and get more obviously reachable as you got closer. Today, I've determined that that's a little bit too 3D for my tastes. I prefer to play 2D games where you're motion is limited, but the scope of the world itself doesn't "feel" limited. So, about an hour ago, I started designing/conceptualizing a system of movement that takes both the foreground and the background into account. A system that, provided I can make it work (probably), will give the player a fun sense of progress through the world.

The System
This concept is a good example of the system

I don't want to make this a habit, but I would like to get some more work done tonight, so I'm going to copy and paste directly from my blog here...

Blog Excerpt
In this image you can see that there's something at least mildly interesting in the foreground (trees). So, let's say that your character has washed up onto this random island after being capsized by a storm (an idea I hope to exploit occasionally Grin). You wake up, and since the area is brand new, it'll probably stick in your mind for a few minutes longer than usual. So, you start exploring to the left of this new world (there's water to the right and your raft is kind of busted [maybe]), wondering what kind of new island you've ended up on, all the while thinking, "Maybe there might even be dragons here, or something!" Eventually, after a long enough trek, and maybe finding some things along the way, you'll end up at those triangular objects in the background (now as pyramids in the foreground). Then you'll suddenly see the trees that you left behind in the new background. A semi-circle of exploration! Something like this would add to the sense of scope in the game because it could be an indicator of some sort of progress.

I like this idea better than a purely 2.5 dimensional world where you can sail directly towards the background, maybe because I can simply imagine it working like this better in my head. And while a 3D-esque world might be nice, I think that something like this overall would just be a cooler experience for the player. Agree or disagree, it's currently just what I think is right for the game.

Not a Blog Excerpt
As far as I'm concerned, this system will work eons better than my more 3D-esque system design, though if I do end up making the game in 3D, then maybe that system will be better. Who knows.

Regardless, I don't see myself doing 3D stuff for this project beyond utilizing a 3D space to make a more dynamic/aesthetically pleasing game world.

RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 06:10:28 PM »

Day 5: A Retroactive Step
Sadly, there was very little progress today as I decided instead to work on my other project and go to the eye-doctor. When you're not actively prototyping it's a bit difficult to figure out things to discuss on a daily basis! But somehow I will manage! Regardless, I still have something I can post in here. It's a pretty raw look at how I explain/explore a concept (and it's from my blog). I do it best when I have to explain an idea to someone on the fly. The following excerpts are probably even better at describing Voyage's core feel than my premise was!

Additionally, I'm currently out of concept art. Very sad. Sad

Blog Excerpt

This here is me rationalizing (to some extent) why basic combat should be included in the game; I also kind of touch on some aspects of gameplay elements. Something interesting that I've noticed about having these conversations with Jacques is that about 90% of the time, I haven't actually considered the ideas that pop up (and then pitch to him) while I'm rationalizing things. Almost every single one of my games has been fleshed out in this way at some point or another. Even City Across the Sky went through this process! The issue with that game was just the botched production phase. The design I think was fairly solid. Anyway. Here is Part 1 of 2 (and some music to go with it [vertical re-orchestration]).

For the music, imagine just wandering around. Then you enter a slightly more wooded area. Suddenly, you're in a battle with a crab. KILL IT! You survive. Phew! Now you're walking again. You find a little town. It's quaint. There's a cool thing to inspect? What is thi--WAIT ANOTHER CRAB! KILL IT. Okay. You're safe. Let's get back to this thing. Wow, that was really interesting. EXPLORING.

I think that players will want to be able to like see a crab and let it scurry away, or murder and eat it though
Nothing serious
Maybe there's a dude on a bigger raft
or like a legit pirate ship
that one day you want to overthrow and take the crew
Or you just avoid them
and explore the world
the message bottles say something that peaks your interest
They're out of order and you piece together a little mystery
relaxing, nothing dire
you find a shipwreck and a skeleton
You wonder where such a big boat came from
since you just have a raft you can't go far
you're like, "That'll be me one day, just not dead. Hopefully."
The first night, it's cold. Your character shivers while he sleeps. You're like, "Oh, that's sad. He needs somewhere warm".
Etc
That's what I want. A game with little to no words.
at least spoken words
Just player thoughts. A player making connections with the world.
The music soothing them. The gameplay enticing them to explore more of the world.
The early game has to be filled with the character making a bunch of small discoveries that have actual meaning.
So the player knows that, in this world, things matter
You're not going to find a crashed ship for no reason.
I hope I'm explaining the idea/feels well enough

After this, I go on to try and clarify some of the problems that Jacques brought up with some of the concepts. Nothing serious, but this is a much more structured idea being explained. It also, in my opinion, almost completely describes the type of game I'm trying to create. This response was directly related to Jacques heckling me about liking science fiction as a way to describe things "different". Haha. Part 2 of 2

What I imagine is a dude who, for whatever reason, decides to abandon his life in society and explore the seven seas. He gets as far away from society as possible, builds a raft, and just goes. He ends up somewhere and yeah, you play the game. The sci-fi aspect was just a way to say, it doesn't happen on a planet where society has taken over everything.
Anyway. As you're playing the game, you explore, you find some message bottles, you uncover like, let's say, a stereotypical treasure map. In the context of the game, that's fun, but only if you establish a desirable atmosphere or something that you can be. Think megaman X, you're megaman, you're cool, but Zero, Zero is a fucking baller. You wanna be just like that guy.
Zero (as a concept) is like some benevolent, elderly pirate that maybe teaches you something at the very beginning of the game or just drops you off at your destination and sails away.
He looks cool, he acts cool, he is cool. (He says nothing)
But whatever, you want to explore and shit
You've got your raft.
So this treasure map leads you to a cool hat or something. You put on the hat. Now you're an explorer. That wasn't so hard, but it's a pretty shitty hat.
I don't want this crappy hat
The old seafarer had a dope hat
You want a hat like that
But you only have this hat
What do?
This happened the night that you realize that your character was shivering at night or something pressing, but subtle.
Now what's important is making a life for yourself, but this island is shitty
You want to go somewhere else
You travel to the end of this small island where you saw on the map that there might be something, there's nothing there, but there's nothing anywhere else. You've got to explore.
You set sail
Now the aesthetic is very important.
You're sailing and eventually you find another island
It doesn't matter which of the nearby islands it is, but it's an island
You mark it down on your map
This exploration positive cycle happens for a little while with a bunch of other cool, soothing things and then one day, while you are sailing you see another boat. It has a flag. Then suddenly, you realize, wait." I don't even have a boat..or a flag. I'm really sad aren't I." Those pirates see you floating around and they sail right past you. You don't even matter. The dude on that boat wasn't as cool as the elderly guy, but he was still cooler than you. It's like, maybe...maybe I can get cool like them, etc.
You see this whole pirate thing
is just a metaphor for growth.
When these bigger boats pass by, you see your character like, just stare at them.
You want to make him/her that cool so you explore, you discover things, maybe you even discover things that haven't been discovered before.
You're not trying to change the world. You're just trying to understand it.
You're having fun and relaxing as the player and hopefully, if done correctly, unlocking that feeling that children have
Just like the wonder of discovering something you maybe can't explain.
Imagine a game where you are the fucking dude who like discovers magic
But you don't know it
Yeah
So, if you read that
I wonder if that explains anything other than my vision for the game. haha
There aren't pirates necessarily
There are like
other people seafaring
Maybe while you are sleeping one of them steals your hat
You don't have a hat anymore
you're exploring and you see this fucker with your hat
So you follow him, but he gets away
you keep sailing in the general direction and you end up at a new island
behold
a new land
Then you find a new hat
and suddenly your old hat doesn't matter as much? Or maybe it still matters
and you get (steal) it back
and then you feel like, "Yeah fuckface, don't steal my hat"
And then you're on your merry way

Whether or not I'm going to allow the player to actually "lose" things like with the stolen hat (this is a negative experience and I'm advocating the positive), I'm unure. However, if you think about it, setting up the player with loss, and then having a quick positive reinforcement (finding the new hat or something else cool) might be even more uplifting if the loss comes first. There might be severely scripted events like this in the game, but I may try to avoid that as best as possible.

I have to look at the goals of my game--my theme, per say--and determine what kind of gameplay, or "everything in the game" as Joe says, should compliment that idea.

For now, that idea is this: "Trying to convey the feeling of discovery that you feel as a child, but lose as an adult because of science and shit." I don't think it gets much better than that!

Not Blog Excerpt

Hopefully, I can get back on track with the design of this ASAP. Having a teen social life sucks in this regard! Lots of stuff to do tomorrow. Haha.

For the rest of tonight, I think I'll be taking a look at what, where, when, and how I want to design this game now that the initial concept is pretty fleshed out. I'll discuss this in more detail tomorrow or Saturday!

RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 02:34:38 PM »

Just figured I'd update and say this. I don't think I'll be able to do a completely daily update thingy without my posts just being fluff! I work on too many projects to dedicate like 4 hours a day designing and writing and arting for Voyage! Haha. I'll update on any days I actually get a decent amount of work done!

Sorry if you actually cared about my daily updates at Tigsource. I'll probably do something closer to daily updates at my blog though!

ClayB
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »

the music is sooooo good! I really hope the game is as adventuregamey as the music sounds.
RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 04:06:39 PM »

Haha. It's not even close to development yet, but I'm sure I can pull off something that's adventuregamey enough to suit the music. Otherwise Jacques might get mad at me. >_>

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic