Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 04:47:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingLooking to collaborate with Writer/s for Slenderman Story+
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking to collaborate with Writer/s for Slenderman Story+  (Read 1858 times)
Kaaeden
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »

I started working on a story that revolved around the folklore "Slenderman". Not sure if I'm  one of many to attempt this or apart only a few who've tried. However, I wanted give readers a first-person perspective of the eerie and horrifying events that surrounds the appearances of "Slenderman". I'm looking for any writers that could help me out!and if things go well work on future stories.
Like many; I know a good start to the story, a great finish, and some thrilling events in between but I have trouble tying everything together without losing focus or morale. Send me message if you think you can help out; and if things go well we could work on future stories.

Here's a rough draft of the beginning.

“Where are they?...”
“But, why?”
“Oh, I see.”
“Can they see me?”
“Oh. I see”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
    “Damn, give me just one minute! I left the twenty in the car. Oh. Scratch that! It was behind my wallet.” I followed with a smirk and a muffled laugh; trying to conceal the embarrassment of being unprepared after nearly one-hundred items had been scanned. However, it was an effort to no avail. The cashier and customer behind me were no more amused or forgiving than the can of olives atop the bag of groceries. With one more attempt, I glanced from one side of the store to another with an intense look as if a more pressing concern had surfaced in my mind. They bought it; I hope.
     “That’s sad, I knew that kid.” my eyes finally set upon a poster of child that recently went missing.
     “Really? Well if you have any “information of where he may be just...” The cashier began to say in the blandest voice before I cut him off.
     “No, no. I didn’t mean it like that; I’ve just seen him around the area a few times. ” My shoulders slouched with the depressing thoughts of this information.
     “He was trying to skip pebbles across a sidewalk puddle about a week ago, actually; just a few blocks down from here.” I pondered the event; hoping that somewhere in my memory was a minuscule clue to where the kid might be. The thoughts were scattered as the cashier handed me my receipt.
    “No little bit of knowledge can hurt the situation, I suppose.” He said with a condemning tone like he knew I wasn't going to tell a single soul, nor remember by the end of my short drive home.
     “Yeah I guess not. I hope he turns up soon!”

-“So do I, the last thing this town needs is more people vanishing.”

There are three types of people in this world; those who can count and those who can't. -bumper sticker.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 12:36:08 AM »

You do a lot of describing things with descriptions of how you're describing them.  Saying someone's shoulders sunk because they are depressed is redundant.  Telling the reader that someone's tone was 'condemning' is a stretch, since it should come across in the language; but to go on and explain "like he knew I wasn't going to tell a single soul" is just being blunt.  It doesn't read well.

Doing prose in-line with dialogue is sort of weird too.  It makes the dialogue blocky and hard to follow.  Consider what you wrote compared to this:

“That’s sad, I knew that kid.”

My eyes were set upon a poster labelled "MISSING".

“Really? Well if you have any information about him...” the cashier said.

I cut him off.

"No, I didn't mean it like that.  I've just seen him around before.  Skipping stones across puddles."

My shoulders ached.  This was a heavy line of thought.

Try reading both of those out loud.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 12:40:44 AM »

Is Slenderman Story+ a game?  I came up with a name like that once.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Kaaeden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 02:22:00 AM »

No Evan its not; at least not to my knowledge. by "Slenderman story+" I just meant the slenderman story plus/possibly additional projects; some that include stories for games.

Thanks Captastic, will definitely work on cutting out those excessive details from my rough drafts. I tend to go back and weed out most of my unnecessary wording when finishing up a story; but I'll make a habit of fixing it early on.

I'm not sure what you meant by "prose in-line with dialogue", but if your talking about the way it was formatted then, this was something that was unintentionally done. I only tried to turn it from a one paragraph block of mayhem to something a tad bit more presentable as a post.

There are three types of people in this world; those who can count and those who can't. -bumper sticker.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:51:40 PM »

I mean stuff like

"Man, it sure is hot today" said Jeff, toweling off his sweat and wringing it out onto the hood of his car.  He was always doing things like that, he was such a weirdo.

"I agree" Tina responded, polishing her AK-47 with a rag not entirely unlike the one Jeff had been using to towel off his sweat.  It was, truly, a most outrageous juxtaposition.

It breaks up the flow of conversation.
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »

Is this for a game? A Slenderman game with dialogue and story would be superb.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:31:05 PM »

I mean stuff like

"Man, it sure is hot today" said Jeff, toweling off his sweat and wringing it out onto the hood of his car.  He was always doing things like that, he was such a weirdo.

"I agree" Tina responded, polishing her AK-47 with a rag not entirely unlike the one Jeff had been using to towel off his sweat.  It was, truly, a most outrageous juxtaposition.

It breaks up the flow of conversation.

"I agree" Tina responded = incorrect
"I agree," Tina responded = correct

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:51:03 PM »

That's a whole lot of effort to say I missed an apostrophe!!
Ashkin
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 12:16:58 AM »

I don't mean to be condescending or mean, but... If you have all this creative energy and you want to MAKE something, why do you just work off an existing mythos? Why not create your own creature? Slenderman is becoming almost as played out as zombies, with much less reason.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 01:12:49 AM »

That's a whole lot of effort to say I missed an apostrophe!!

Gahahahah, I hope you're trolling.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 01:40:53 AM »

If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical, go crude. I'm a very technical boy.  -Johnny Mnemonic.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 09:47:56 AM »

(Because he was pointing out a forgotten comma, not an apostrophe.  Or was it a fallen apostrophe?)

Sorry for feeding the tangent.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 09:19:32 PM »

The apostrophe response was precision crafted.
Kaaeden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 06:49:39 PM »

I don't mean to be condescending or mean, but... If you have all this creative energy and you want to MAKE something, why do you just work off an existing mythos? Why not create your own creature? Slenderman is becoming almost as played out as zombies, with much less reason.

Maybe i'm picking up the wrong message, but I never said I was full of "creative energy" nor did I say I wouldn't/couldn't create something that was an original piece of work.

I chose to write about Slenderman because there seems like a lot mystery to its background and motives; which leaves room for many concepts and theories. I happened to come up with a unique theory to the folklore that, hopefully, no one else has thought of, so I wanted to make a short story about it. -regardless of how much attention it gets.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic