Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:50:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFull Bore - a puzzle adventure deep underground, PC demo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Full Bore - a puzzle adventure deep underground, PC demo  (Read 1242 times)
wodenpwn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:21:28 PM »

Hi everyone,

I would like to present the demo for the game I have been working on, Full Bore:
www.wholehog-games.com/fullbore/demo
Its a puzzle platforming adventure where you control Frederick, a young Boar who must navigate a world made up of blocks with different behaviors. Frederick can dig, run, jump and push his way through the levels to find treasure. The focus of the game is on exploration and problem solving, not conflict. It is currently PC only, but if the game does well, we want to port it to Linux and Mac.

Additional information, a trailer and screenshots can be found at
www.wholehog-games.com/fullbore
I would love to hear what everyone thinks! Don't hold back criticism, I went to art school, i can take it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:09:25 PM by wodenpwn » Logged

Lead Artist, Whole Hog Games www.wholehog-games.com
Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 08:28:24 AM »

Looks like a great game, downloading the demo now. Will get back to you with a proper review when I get the feel of the game.

// Ankmannen

Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 12:50:21 PM »

Hi!

I spent some time playing it and I love the idea and story. The rocket part was very unexpected. Smiley I also love all the animations and details, like when the clerks turn their head when you walk out of the office!

A few notes from my part. It feels jerky to play and I'm having a hard time to do stuff right, like precision jumping. It might just be something that you would get used to. Just got a feeling of low framerate.

Another thing is that I'm (also subjectively) having a hard time to spot the difference between passable blocks and non-passable blocks. Yet again it might be something you learn.

I will certainly play some more over a few days and get back to you if you find it helpful.

// AnkMannen

wodenpwn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 02:07:21 PM »

Thanks for the playtest! When you say passable vs unpassable blocks, are you referring to foreground v. background blocks or digable v. undigable blocks?

The low frame rate might be because it is running slow on your computer - what sort of display adapter are you using? We have had slowdowns on intel integrated graphics chips with the game.

The movement is such that once you start to move to the next block space, you will complete that move, so maybe that is the source of your feeling of jerkyness, but I would suspect poor graphic performance.

One trick that has worked to improve performance somewhat for some machines is to force vsync off in your graphic driver control panel. Our programmer has a plan for optimizing the game to run better on slower graphics hardware, and this is on the list for a menu toggle.

mamoniem
Level 0

making games 247

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 06:52:28 PM »

hi;
Sorry for the wrong posting early time today Smiley
i love the game & specially the control system. i have just a few questions and comments as well.
My only comment i found, on the character sprite, sometimes it overlaps the wall sprite. if it is non-destructible wall.
i want to ask you about the engine you used or you built your own engine (C++ or OpenGL) ?
Second thing, i really like this cleaned pixel art. is that done as 3d rendered and the pixelated , or drawn in high quality and then pixelated. because it looks so hard to have the same quality as pre-Pixel drawing.
thanks in advance & sorry again for the conflict Smiley

m;
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:03:55 PM by mamoniem » Logged
wodenpwn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 07:50:57 PM »

Everything has been hand-drawn with pixels in photoshop (frederick fits inside a 32-pixel box, which is the basic block unit of the game), mostly by me. All the boar animation is just sprites of key frames played back depending on what the boar is doing.  Sometimes I design something on paper first, but more often I just go straight to pixels. The game assets are zoomed 200%, so you are seeing the pixels twice as big as they should be. The lighting engine is in real pixel size, though, so the gradients caused by the lighting are twice the resolution.

As to the character overlapping the wall, he is supposed to be in fake 3d space, so he's really hitting the middle of the block - I can change the sprite to look more like he's hitting the block in the middle.

The game is built from scratch in C++, and for a while in parallel in openGL. We put the openGL version version on hold until we have the funds to port it to Linux and Mac.

Thanks so much for the play test and the comments!

wodenpwn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 12:21:05 AM »

oh, I forgot to mention that we are in the process of normal mapping all the tiles, objects and characters so that the lighting engine will interact with them as if they have depth.

wodenpwn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 10:04:54 AM »

We just hit 50% on our Kickstarter after just a week!

mamoniem
Level 0

making games 247

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »

We just hit 50% on our Kickstarter after just a week!

good luck Smiley am following it day by day in KickStarter Smiley it is a nice game and should be correctly funded  Hand Any Key
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic