Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411429 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:05:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralPacific Rim
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Pacific Rim  (Read 15241 times)
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2012, 01:06:21 AM »

This looks like a cool film. However...

Just listen to the computerised voice, you'll probably recognise it...  Cave Story

So long and thanks for all the pi
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 03:01:36 AM »

looks dumb

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 03:03:22 AM »

It would have been cooler and less stupid if the robots weren't humanoid (I mean, it's like Power Rangers!)
However, GLaDOS voice!

So long and thanks for all the pi
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 03:17:15 AM »

kaijus are awesome, cgi kaijus are the worst thing imaginable

♪ Redix ♪
Level 0

Timetraveler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 06:12:26 AM »

Glados, lol, the movie seems interesting.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:26:05 AM by ♪ Redix ♪ » Logged

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 08:08:51 AM »

this looks hella dope, its nice that someone in hollywood realizes that you can have giant robots with a good silhouette instead of just overdetailed, vague, insect transformers bullshit.

Lo
ink.inc
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 09:03:47 AM »

make evangelion instead
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 12:04:43 PM »

they are though

Lo
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 12:13:14 PM »

Live action animus are dumb.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 12:19:09 PM »

looks better than transformers
ink.inc
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 12:20:35 PM »

no Sad
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »

Live action animus are dumb.

it looked way better than that shit in the OP.

Based on how the physics look in the OP's link with the robots moving pretty slow/realistic movement, it almost makes you think they were trying to take a realism approach. Then you realize that theyre using giant humanoid robots and how fucking stupid that looks in a "realistic" setting.
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 03:09:27 PM »

idk, i kind of like when people try to give a lot of weight to giant robots, even in sillier settings. giant robo, big-o, and the rebuild movies all did that to some extent, and it just adds a great feeling of scale and immensity to everything the robots do. i mean if thats not your cup of tea, whatevs, but personally i love it.

Lo
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 03:11:57 PM »

It's because if we're talking 100% or even 90% realism, those things wouldn't even be able to move.

Note: Technology that would allow them to move that hasn't been invented yet is not realistic :p
ink.inc
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 03:12:56 PM »

rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 03:27:29 PM »

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »

The robots immediately reminded me of Big-O, but unfortunately there will most likely be a veneer of gung-ho Hollywood militarism over it that will blot out the interesting plot aspects. No robot cockpits? Laaaaame! I much prefer the animes because they always have interesting settings, but I guess Hollywood audiences can't stomach it.

kaijus are awesome, cgi kaijus are the worst thing imaginable

Agreed.

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 10:21:49 PM »

It's because if we're talking 100% or even 90% realism, those things wouldn't even be able to move.

Note: Technology that would allow them to move that hasn't been invented yet is not realistic :p
well thats kind of absolutist Tongue, there's varying degrees of realism in media. just because something has fantastical stuff like giant robots doesnt automatically mean its science fantasy like ttgl, and just because its got a tiny bit more realism, (i.e. attempting to show some weight with the mechas, or the time dilation in gunbuster) doesnt mean it has to be 100% The Hard Science either.

Lo
Bandages
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 10:44:37 PM »

I saw the trailer for this before The Hobbit last night and it was easily the movie I was most excited about from the selection of trailers (the other one being William Smith crash landing on an Earth where all life has evolved to destroy humins)

1) The GLaDOS voice actually pissed me off since it's... GLaDOS. I thought for a fucking second it was a Valve movie like some kind of crazy portal shit since the word portal is heavily implied in the trailer but nope they're just freely stealing the voice 100%. At least they're using the Portal 2 voice and not my sweet angel's voice from Portal.

2) A good big Robot movie? Yeah, like Sinclair said, this one actually looks WAY better than tranSNOREmers (original joke pls credit) since the trailer would make it seem to be pretty cool. The robot throws a punch that is powered by a huge jet, and that's badass.

3) Pacific Rim is the name of the cheap asian food station at my college. I also live in Seattle which is on the P. Rim, meaning Seattle might very well be in the movie which would be really sweet.

4) If I'm not mistaken I saw a really cute japanese/possibly mixed race girl in the trailer??? That's way neat.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 01:48:26 AM »

1) The GLaDOS voice actually pissed me off since it's... GLaDOS. I thought for a fucking second it was a Valve movie like some kind of crazy portal shit since the word portal is heavily implied in the trailer but nope they're just freely stealing the voice 100%. At least they're using the Portal 2 voice and not my sweet angel's voice from Portal.

I believe Del Toro got permission from Gabe Newell. But, yeah, having the GLaDOS voice is really fucking weird and completely takes me out of the trailer.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic