Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 12:45:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralPacific Rim
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Pacific Rim  (Read 15260 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2013, 03:41:42 PM »

i guess this is the closest i'll ever get to seeing EVA units in live action
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »

You don't realize that kid in the future will see eva as a the shitty rip off of pacific rim and you will be like: "kids these days they know nothing and are arrogant"
Who, Me?

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »

You don't realize that kid in the future will see eva as a the shitty rip off of pacific rim and you will be like: "kids these days they know nothing and are arrogant"
Who, Me?

Well ,it's normal
A lot of people said that ghost in the shell is a rip off of wachowsky brothers , that departed is an american masterpiece ,  etc etc

It's always like that
Also i'm pretty sure that people will say that godzilla stole from Rim and that new battle royale remake movie will be a stealen work from hunger games.

Bandages
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »

Who, Me?

But evangelion IS shitty  Waaagh!
antoniodamala
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2013, 04:42:10 PM »

Who, Me?

overrated? yes.
shitty? now that's too much.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2013, 04:43:24 PM »

Who, Me?

I said it wasn't? I say it was? neither liquid or solid ... solidus!

ink.inc
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2013, 04:44:15 PM »

everything about evangelion (aside from the visual design) is kind of terrible (oops)
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2013, 06:09:21 PM »

everything about evangelion (aside from the visual design) is kind of terrible (oops)

agreed. the only thing that left an impression on me was the setting/visuals, and that was mostly because of how much of it they left open ended.
poe
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »

Can you even hate anime?
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2013, 06:24:08 PM »

wherein people forget the context the era during which a series was made

also if im not mistaken pacific rim had some nods towards evangelion

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Bandages
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2013, 06:29:37 PM »

Yeah the main character jerks off over his sleeping copilot
ink.inc
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2013, 07:22:19 PM »

Can you even hate anime?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2013, 02:17:08 AM »

in true anime gender bending john is a fujoshi

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2013, 04:08:17 AM »

While watching P-Rim I couldn't stop thinking how the entire movie is almost like a direct western/simplified copy of the first half of the evangelion series. Which in turn made it so much better than the transformers rubbish I was expecting going into the cinema.
A few key similarities;
  • The 2 pilots have to sinc with each other - paralleling the concept of mentally synchronizing with the eva.
  • The japanese girl has that same event as rei where she [spoiler]goes ape shit, tries to blow up the facility and the mech wont turn off after being unplugged[/spoiler]
  • After the intro the protagonist is initially reluctant to pilot - similar to shinji.
  • All the back and forth cuts between the pilots and the control room
It really is the closest thing Hollywood will ever make to an evangelion movie, I think

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2013, 04:27:54 AM »

I watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The plot was simple and easy to follow, the characters were interesting, THE FIGHTS WERE AMAZING Addicted. But some of dialog was horribly written, to the point that I winced several times.

Life sucks and then you die.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2013, 04:31:07 AM »

Can you even hate anime?

the thing is john *is* anime

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2013, 04:38:47 AM »

While watching P-Rim I couldn't stop thinking how the entire movie is almost like a direct western/simplified copy of the first half of the evangelion series. Which in turn made it so much better than the transformers rubbish I was expecting going into the cinema.
A few key similarities;
  • The 2 pilots have to sinc with each other - paralleling the concept of mentally synchronizing with the eva.
  • The japanese girl has that same event as rei where she [spoiler]goes ape shit, tries to blow up the facility and the mech wont turn off after being unplugged[/spoiler]
  • After the intro the protagonist is initially reluctant to pilot - similar to shinji.
  • All the back and forth cuts between the pilots and the control room
It really is the closest thing Hollywood will ever make to an evangelion movie, I think

EVA SCENES MIMICKED IN PACIFIC RIM (SPOILER FREE):

Mako is Misato, if Misato looked like rei, and was a pilot.

Prying open the entry plug to save rei.

A young Misato standing up in the floating escape capsule.

Misato attempting to shut down the Jet Alone reactor core (all the jaegers resemble jet alone in a loose fashion, primarily in how they function, if not in appearance)

LCL fluid in the entry plug.

The battle inside the volcano. In an earlier, unrelated scene, a jaeger uses reactor coolant to freeze and break off part of a kaiju's body.

The prog knife.

Rei's failure to synch with unit zero, and subsequent berserkification of unit zero.

Following up on THAT, is the classic "Shut the system down!", "I cant!!!!! ITS NOT RESPONDING", AND when they finally unplug it, the jaeger keeps going....

PAY ATTENTION OR YOU WILL MISS IT! VERY briefly one of the kaiju screams. In this particular screaming scene, viewed from the angle of the camera, combined with the glowing parts inside its mouth, the kaiju in question seems to mirror almost EXACTLY the classic image of Berserk unit one screaming with its mouth REALLY wide open, as viewed from the front. This particular scene is very brief, but UNMISTAKEABLE.

There is a fight scene that loosely resembles toji blasting shinji, and vice versa.

The entry plug ejection sequence during the episode where the three pilots are using the simulation bodies in that underwater room.

Rie detonating her eva to save shinji.

Pick an elevator scene. any of them.

the eva launch sequence (sans the bullet drive to the surface. In fact they KINDA did that, but in reverse, as the head portion of "Jypsy Danger" drops down a rail system to land on the main body before locking in place.)

the gendo ikari helicopter scene.

Misato joining nerve for the purpose of revenge.

Hyuga and Aoba have their own character analogs. The Hyuga analog also resembles kensuke.

There is a teleconference scene in which the various representatives of the united world powers express displeasure with the organization controlling the jaegers (seele conference analog).

Evageek courtesy

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »

now the same for mazinger Z

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2013, 11:31:48 AM »

Just watched it, it was cool.
Excellent special effects, great fights. Not much to the plot, but who needs a plot when you have GIANT ROBOTS RENDERED EXQUISITELY IN CRAZY AND AWESOME DETAIL.
The main character's robot (can't remember the name) reminded me of an iron man suit, but that was just the glowing chest cannon...
Above all, the soundtrack is brilliant, I loved the relentless nature of the main theme

So long and thanks for all the pi
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2013, 11:48:45 AM »

It was very good and didn't try to be super serious or spend hours worldbuilding for a possible sequel, it just got right to it and told a story and had great effects.

Great stuff. Go see it.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic