Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:40:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[TechDemo Feedback] CrossCode - Throwing Balls!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: [TechDemo Feedback] CrossCode - Throwing Balls!  (Read 5710 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 11:11:54 AM »

It is intended that you don't have the control over jumping via a button. It's more like Zelda where you also have similar game mechanics. The boxes are small but the controls should be tight enough to control it (The game is also fast-paced so the boxes serve mostly to get on higher grounds.).
Also (this might sound strange) but we want to keep the buttons you need to play the game at minimum.

Zelda did have a jump button though, when you equip a specific item in the Gameboy one .. >_> but whatever.

This is where we got a lot of feedback and we already started changing a lot. You did not mentioned it but you can escape attacks via dashing! Use the right mouse button to perform a dash (currently this will break your aim hard and you have a long cool down after a lot of dashes in quick series. This was already changed and now dashing is more effective). The dash will even work when you aim or throwing balls.

I tried using the right mouse button, it did nothing but bring up a right click context menu with "Save image" on it.  HTML 5/Canvas strikes again.

Also, I did defeat the enemies, it just took too long.
R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »

We actually had a discussion about jumping right now and we might change it a bit so it can be controlled better.

I tried using the right mouse button, it did nothing but bring up a right click context menu with "Save image" on it.  HTML 5/Canvas strikes again.

Woa this should not happen. Which browser did this happened?

Ah okay, without dashing it must have been a challenge Smiley

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »

We actually had a discussion about jumping right now and we might change it a bit so it can be controlled better.

Woa this should not happen. Which browser did this happened?

I'm using Firefox 64-bit (Pale Moon variation).

Ah okay, without dashing it must have been a challenge Smiley

It was only somewhat of a challenge, I'm used to difficult overhead games since I've made some myself.  It was mostly about keeping maximum distance and hitting them out of their charge (which is why it pissed me off when it didn't work).
R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »

I'm using Firefox 64-bit (Pale Moon variation).

Could you try it with another browser? Pale Moon seems to be a pretty exotic browser and the might handle things totally different or not support the event listener for context menus.

It was only somewhat of a challenge, I'm used to difficult overhead games since I've made some myself.  It was mostly about keeping maximum distance and hitting them out of their charge (which is why it pissed me off when it didn't work).

Yeah, we really should nerf them. As you said you can't cancel them from the dash attack. This will be changed for the beginning of the game.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 12:12:08 PM »

It still happens for me in regular Firefox 32-bit, latest version (18.0).  Also, it uses about 4x as much CPU in regular Firefox as it does in Pale Moon 64-bit.

(This is why I don't reccomend HTML5/Canvas to anyone looking to make a game that they expect to have wide distribution ..)
R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 12:46:45 PM »

This is really strange, it does not happen for any of us (both working on the latest Firefox and some nightlies).
Does this happen for you on any PC? This is my next guess because modern browsers with decent PCs should handle canvas totally fine.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic