Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:58:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingWriters as responsible for "narrative logic"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Writers as responsible for "narrative logic"  (Read 946 times)
DISHTY
Level 0

PUNCH

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:09:36 AM »

Just over a month ago I wrote up a blog post on Gamasutra about writing for Humans Must Answer - an upcoming shmup. Thought I'd share it here to get some feedback on my thoughts

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ChrisPriestman/20121112/181416/Writing_For_A_Genre_That_Doesnt_Welcome_Words.php

Here's an extract related to the title of this thread:

What needs to be made clear is that game writers shouldn't just write a story and hand it over to the game designer or whoever else on the team so they can hinge gameplay around it. In fact, my experience was the other way around but more on that in a bit. A game writer is there to provide narrative logic to the game. Just as a programmer is there to provide mathematical logic and an artist to provide visual logic, I guess. To write up a story and to then to not get involved with the game development would be to abandon the project. As with all aspects of game development, the narrative and how it is conveyed will change constantly. Ideally, as the author, a game writer should be there to check on the consistency and coherence of their creation. If not then it's very possible that some aspects of it will get lost and that can cause ruptures throughout.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 02:07:19 PM »

The concept you touch on in your quoted paragraph is something I've been fond of calling "cohesiveness".  As of recently I've adopted the thinking that a single vision, and most generally a single person, should hold a position of authorship over a game.  This isn't always a writer, as the game isn't always narrative in nature -- my friend Beau Blyth, lauded for his skill with multiplayer games, creates the code, art, sound, music and game design in his projects.  Because one person with competence in all these areas is creating the game there is a resonance between all the separate elements.  The authorship creates cohesiveness.

Beau and I worked together and have begun to move in different directions.  While his interest is in creating multiplayer gameplay that can create social experiences between friends and strangers, I am fascinated by single-player games which feature exploration and narrative.  Which brings me to the matters you discuss in the later part of your essay.

Firstly I should say that after your discussion of the former point I had some difficulty understanding precisely what your thesis was.  Perhaps simply that more discussion of interactive narrative should be fostered.  But you mention narrative creating a system of constraints to the player's agency in much the same way as the rules of a game do.  This is a sensible point.  However, even a computer "toy" (that is, a program which facilitates play) imposes a system of constraints by virtue of the limited set of interactions and logic which are available, as does a reader-guided storyline.

I really like player-guided play, to be sure.  I intend, certainly, to make it a foundational element of my narrative game.  But I also don't think that restrictions on agency are invariably bad.  It's interesting when players create their own narratives in open-world spaces, but not all players will have the courage or interest to do this.  Those that do -- myself included -- will not necessarily find our travels in an open-world game more compelling than one that simply tells a linear story.  The latter is more dense and thought-out than what can improvise as we play.  If for the purposes of a good story I'd rather play To The Moon than invent the exploits of Corbidor the Dragon Puncher in Skyrim, then it seems the former is achieving a lot more storytelling per man-hour put into it.

So here's my thesis:  I value exploration in games, and I have a narrative project for which I will act as author -- game designer, writer and programmer.  My solution to an interesting narrative which doesn't violate the player's agency is to turn that narrative into an explorative space.  Exploration, being a form of play, is narratively freeform.  It has a strong connection with searching, which is a goal-oriented activity which adheres to the structure of a game or a linear story.  Thus I take a form of gameplay which is fundamentally play, and I lightly build a game on it.  If the player wishes to approach the system like a game, she may seek out the object of interest and proceed through the narrative.  If approaching it like a toy, she will explore every corner, finding along the way the necessary means of advancement and opening the way to new vistas.  In either case an authored narrative is dynamically explored.

Tangent warning:

I'm used to exploration through a physical metaphor -- walking, climbing, swimming, flying, et cetera.  I relish the oft-unnoticed narratives of the physical world.  But storytelling does not adhere to physical laws, and time and space present difficulties to the explorative conveyance of a narrative by means of of physical motion.  What I will experiment with is an abstract metaphor that allows memories, stories and daydreams to be freely traversed.  This is just one of several viable solutions to the aforesaid problem, though.

tl;dr Making emergent open-world games is not effective storytelling; exploration works really well as a vehicle for narrative.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic