Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:31:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHammerwatch - On Steam the 12th
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Hammerwatch - On Steam the 12th  (Read 173583 times)
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 07:53:52 PM »

Update #2

The Paladin, strong melee fighter and tank of the group.

• His regular attack is with his sword, upgrades to this skill adds damage and damage arc, so he can hit more enemies at the same time.
  • Charge is when he runs at very high speed with the sword pointing forward. Result is devastating piercing damage or stun (or both), it's not totally decided yet.
  • Heal is performed on yourself and your team members, upgrades here will be how much healing you will receive per spent mana. And possibly also effective range for MP.

The following video shows the skills, at it current shape and form:

(Reupped good footage, since the old one had such bad quality)

This video is also the first video of the game in it's current form, with light effects, new sounds and better graphics than the old videos.

Btw: Merry Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 04:49:13 AM by Hipshot » Logged

Esti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 08:23:32 PM »

Looking really good!

Music Producer
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 10:17:25 PM »

1080p, good quality version:

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 04:48:29 AM by Hipshot » Logged

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 07:24:29 PM »

Update #3

Ok, guys!

Here we have it, a the first recorded coop sessions!

Video: 4 Players
Paladin, Wizard, Ranger and a Warlock. Played on floor 1. All classes uses different skills here, so you will see most of them, from chain-lightning, heal-all and meteor strike.

As always this early in the prod, the effects and sounds are temp and we are working on improving the hit feedback and so. When we played this, it was kinda confusing at sometimes cause you mixed around the characters, didn't know where to focus, forgot things etc. This is also due to it was the first time we played like this! =)

Video: 2 Players
Paladin and Ranger. Played on floor 1. Here we're only two playing, so it's a bit more focused and slower pace. And no class with glowing effects, so it's overall easier to see.

Video: "Singleplayer"
Only the Paladin, but this here is a singleplayer venture, using the minimap more, taking more time to look at things and so forth.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 08:18:45 PM »

Lookin' Good.

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »

Oh man, are you trying to give somebody an orgasm with that sexy art?

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 11:56:54 PM »

Update #4

Just a small picture that shows how different strength works on some of our characters, mostly "animals".

Those who played Diablo and similar games, knows that there sometimes are purple champion characters lurking around, the elite units are like those, much tougher to kill than regular ones, you need to spend more time with them. I had a hard time finding out how I wanted these elite units to look, without moving to far away from the normal one, I think the spikes added looks pretty ok, the red on the maggot might be a bit extreme, but I can just change it (looks like a rooster or something now =)).

Entire Floor 1, this floor is pretty much done now. Levels in this game are called floors, there are 3 floors each act and they all acts together like one huge scene where you can walk up and down stairs, solve things for one floor, on another etc.

Full view of Floor 1, with all enemies and so.

A small guide to some features in the level and how it connects to Floor 2 (I know, I need to improve my "prima"-skills).

JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 05:19:05 AM »

This looks stunning! Smiley I'd love to play it with some friends.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 11:30:26 PM »

Wow, it's impressive! All looks solid and juicy. Watching the videos makes me think that the wizzard will be much harder to play (firing projectiles in only eight directions).

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 12:29:51 AM »

I dig the idea of connecting floors so you have to go back and forth between areas instead of a strictly linear progression. This is looking super rad, yo. I was actually just thinking about making a gauntlet-esque game the other day and this looks like basically exactly what I was imagining (except it's not sci fi). Definitely looking forward to this.

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 02:07:14 AM »

I dig the idea of connecting floors so you have to go back and forth between areas instead of a strictly linear progression. This is looking super rad, yo. I was actually just thinking about making a gauntlet-esque game the other day and this looks like basically exactly what I was imagining (except it's not sci fi). Definitely looking forward to this.

The idea is to make it a little bit less linear, in the old game, the levels were linear and when a level was completed you could not go back, instead of having a NPC-vendor, there's a small shop in between every level.

Wow, it's impressive! All looks solid and juicy. Watching the videos makes me think that the wizzard will be much harder to play (firing projectiles in only eight directions).

Right now, playing with the Xbox-controller, gives you 360 degrees shoot angles and analogue movement speed.

But, what we noted from seeing other people play and playing ourselves, is that because of this, you tend to miss more (sounds strange, but you miss and overcompensates and then you miss again) and since the game being so fast, it can get really stressful and annoying. To fix this, we might need to use some kind of auto aim or crosshair, but we rather just clamp the directions to 8, even on the controller.

With the wizard in general, most people seems to just after a little while, learn the range of the fireball and starts using the splash, until they become good enough with the movement and shooting.

It's actually kinda fun playing with the wizard. Because when you upgrade, the fireball reaches farther and you need to adapt a bit to the new extended range, it forces you to play slightly different.

Oh, the ranger should at the moment be the most difficult class, because the arrows don't plash, so you must hit directly on with it. It goes through monsters though and the range is "unlimited", so if you're good, you line up the monsters before you shoot.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 02:26:23 AM »

To fix this, we might need to use some kind of auto aim or crosshair, but we rather just clamp the directions to 8, even on the controller.

I see what you are trying to do there. However, from my personal experience this won't fix your aiming issue unless you also restrict the movement to only work within the square grid. As soon as you still can move freely, restricting the movement to 8 directions won't solve your problem, it would even increase the difficulty further.

I'd personally try a mix of the following:

- Have a bigger hitbox for both, projectiles and enemies and be more forgiving with when something collides
- Try around a little bit with magnetic projectiles that tend to home in on enemies slighly
- Have an explicit aiming system that highlights enemies when you aim roughly in their direction. When the shot is fired while an enemy is highlighted, the shot is fired AT the enemy, instead of into the exact direction indicated by the thumbstick

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 03:24:01 AM »

To fix this, we might need to use some kind of auto aim or crosshair, but we rather just clamp the directions to 8, even on the controller.

I see what you are trying to do there. However, from my personal experience this won't fix your aiming issue unless you also restrict the movement to only work within the square grid. As soon as you still can move freely, restricting the movement to 8 directions won't solve your problem, it would even increase the difficulty further.

I'd personally try a mix of the following:

- Have a bigger hitbox for both, projectiles and enemies and be more forgiving with when something collides
- Try around a little bit with magnetic projectiles that tend to home in on enemies slighly
- Have an explicit aiming system that highlights enemies when you aim roughly in their direction. When the shot is fired while an enemy is highlighted, the shot is fired AT the enemy, instead of into the exact direction indicated by the thumbstick

Thanks a lot for the advice in this matter. I've played a few sessions coop this weekend and looking at new people playing with the controller and missing is pretty annoying, because they don't expect to miss. However, when I tell them how it works, it usually goes a lot better, because they think more about aiming, but it really shouldn't be needed.

I think bigger hitboxes for player missiles might be a solution, but I will have to try it. I'm pretty sure bigger hitboxes for enemies won't work, cause I think right now their (melee) attack is also based on this hitbox (not 100% sure here).

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 03:43:57 AM »

I can easily see the issue with missing while being able to fire projectiles in 360 degrees. But I tend to see this as 'people need a good deal of practice to get proficient with it' rather than anything else.

I would keep it as it is, maybe making the projectile's hitbox very slightly bigger if deemed necessary.

Keep in mind, players who struggle getting hits in might opt to just get closer to the targets in order to make hitting easier. In the long run, they would be able to keep themselves farther away as their aim improves.

Ever tried having the same person playing wizard/archer repeatedly over a few days and checked if aim improves, even if by a little?

Other than that, I see the balancing act as being pretty spot on. The Knight and Warlock need to get up and personal with the enemy, while Wizard and Archer can attack from safe distance but have to deal with aiming.

You can maybe make things easier for ranged classes by using skills cleverly. So maybe The Archer might fire fans of arrows in a small angle, making the whole Aiming issue a whole lot less sever (when using such skill, at least). The Wizard might instead fire an oversized fireball, which pierces through enemies and deals splash damage in a huge area.

Just a few thoughts!

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 03:27:57 AM »

It's very important that the aiming system feels accurate enough for "reflex" shots, there might not be time to focus and aim. And the xbox-controller makes it all so much more random, cause when you think you have the stick straight up, it might be a tad bit to the left and then you miss.

I have already increased the size of the collision of the bat and from now, also on the arrows you shoot with the ranger, we will look into more tweaking of this in the future.

Tried outputing a gif instead of a video to the tube, became kinda large for showing almost nothing =) Well, at least it shows a quick preview of the new Eye-enemy, damage numbers and also loot drops.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 03:46:42 AM »

If you feel like the analog controls don't go extremely well together with the pacing and the rhythm of the game, you might want to try limit the firing directions by subdividing the whole gamut of possible angles into very tiny intervals.

That would have a similar effect to the 8-ways approach, but allowing for many more possible shooting directions. As in: limiting the firing in 3 degrees intervals would allow for high aiming freedom while still having a bit of room to avoid tiny input errors by the player.

Hope it makes sense. Loving the new stuff Wink

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 08:43:37 AM »

Man, this is looking downright awesome.

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 08:14:07 AM »

Spike traps, can be turned off and on by buttons or timer. In the animation, it's just one, but these can be tiled up - there will be oceans of spikes.

Instead of just lowering the spikes down below when it's off, I trigger a shutter, it tells the players more clearly when they can walk on it and also gives them a chance to get away if the shutter begins to open.

Borders, can be color coded, to indicate which trap connects to what button. Buttons and traps doesn't need to be coded, but some are to make it easier for the player to understand what buttons do, or what button that controls which trap.

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 08:17:35 AM »

Amazing ^^ Can't wait to play it

overlordror
Level 0

Editor-in-chief of bears

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »

Oh wow. I watched the videos you posted and you captured the hectic combat of gauntlet perfectly! I used to sit and play it on the NES with my mother and it's one of my fondest gaming memories.

I'd love to see a barbarian-type class complete with axe throwing if you're still creating character archetypes for players to select. I know you've got four types right now, but Monaco is also a four player co-op game with a cast of more than four characters.

http://NintyGamer.com | Managing Editor
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic