Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:30:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHammerwatch - On Steam the 12th
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Hammerwatch - On Steam the 12th  (Read 173612 times)
Polyphonic Entity
Level 0

Melting Brains With Sound Waves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: May 13, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »

I'm sooo looking forward to this game  Shocked
youmightbecancer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: May 13, 2013, 04:41:12 PM »

I made a topic on theportingteam to see if anyone would port the Hammerwatch BETA(s) to mac, since lots of people are having trouble using Mono.

It needs a 1.5gb .NET wrapper to work though, so is a bit unrealistic for a 35mb game at this point - unless they find another solution!

don\'t we all just die? http://surrealvitriol.tumblr.com/
DantronLesotho
Level 2

Video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: May 14, 2013, 01:59:05 PM »

My previous highest ranked YT clip was the Daikatana intro, it's at like 10k views.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Klober
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 15, 2013, 06:34:46 PM »

is it ok to stream the open beta release on twitch?
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2013, 02:34:25 AM »

You can show the beta where ever you like, YT or any other place! This goes for anyone.

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 16, 2013, 02:42:49 AM »

Since we now have the option to change color of your hero, I've looked more to the design of them to make them more distinguished and also added 4 different color variations that you can switch between. Players can not the be the same color now, minimap colors reflects this change too.

The Paladin now has a full helmet to make him stand out a bit more, warlock carries a dark helmet and I've added a border to the lower parts of the Wizard, he also has a little diamond inside his staff to make it different from the Warlock staff

Now since we got greenlit and have access to the steam system more, we can use the steam profile name to set name of the player.

Zoju
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2013, 07:20:55 AM »

A very welcome addition to the game! I have some feedback, though.

The gem is kinda lost in the staff because its color has little contrast against the wood. Maybe play around with the color of the gem (or the staff) a bit to make it stand out more. You could also change the staff so it has a crystal ball at the end of it; that way, it can't be missed, and it'd still be noticeably different from the warlock staff.

The purple hood on the ranger is very bright and saturated, especially when compared to the other options. Maybe make it a little darker and/or less saturated.

The cyan highlights on the green warlock seem out of place, they are very bright when compared to the rest of the robe and they are not the same shade of green.

The darkened face on the Paladin makes him look sinister; did you think about giving him a full helmet, like a knight? Not sure how it would work on small sprites like this, just an idea.

Everything else looks great. Keep it up!
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 17, 2013, 05:44:53 AM »

A very welcome addition to the game! I have some feedback, though.

The gem is kinda lost in the staff because its color has little contrast against the wood. Maybe play around with the color of the gem (or the staff) a bit to make it stand out more. You could also change the staff so it has a crystal ball at the end of it; that way, it can't be missed, and it'd still be noticeably different from the warlock staff.

The purple hood on the ranger is very bright and saturated, especially when compared to the other options. Maybe make it a little darker and/or less saturated.

The cyan highlights on the green warlock seem out of place, they are very bright when compared to the rest of the robe and they are not the same shade of green.

The darkened face on the Paladin makes him look sinister; did you think about giving him a full helmet, like a knight? Not sure how it would work on small sprites like this, just an idea.

Everything else looks great. Keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback.
I know about the helmet, it makes him look grim. I kinda like the style though, but I might try what you just said!

Polyphonic Entity
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: May 17, 2013, 04:57:03 PM »

I agree with Zoju (he really looked closely, good job!) but basically all you posted is awesome.

Full Helmet - awesome
Color Customization - awesome
Colors on minimap - awesome
Different Colors For Multplayer - awesome
Wizard Bottom Band - awesome
Warlock (seen it the first time) - awesome
New Staff - awesome

Beer!
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 18, 2013, 12:36:53 AM »

I felt that I had to do something other with Act 4s theme, so I've added round details to it.

As you can see, I've also added level numbers (roman) to the vendors, should be easier for players to see if they already visited a vendor or not (so I can have several of the same level around the act without having the player confused). I'm just not sure if roman numbers are clear enough, I might switch them to normal ones.

Polyphonic Entity
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: May 18, 2013, 07:54:19 AM »

Nice Screenshot again. I think roman letters are well known, don't you think ? Especially amongst the targeted playerbase (rpg sorta)? But for 100% "compatibility" you should go for normal ones. The question is: Do the roman numbers really add enough to the game that justify losing some "compatibility" ? I personally think, from an artistic point of view, they fit better to the games theme, I would probably add them after all. Or add a display option? Probably not worth the hassle tho.
Arkantrus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 18, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »

I'd love to be able to create my own campaigns, classes, spells AND graphics for this game, if possible. I'm loving it so far, thank you for this!!

But I'm having some problems when trying to play multiplayer online coop. I've tried to port foward 9995, I've tried hamachi, but not seems to work, it just gets stuck on "Joining...".
Am I doing something wrong? Do all of us have to port forward, or only the host??

And another question: Do you guys plan on making monsters with different behaviors? From what I've played so far, they just sit still untl you get close enough.
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 19, 2013, 03:19:28 AM »

Nice Screenshot again. I think roman letters are well known, don't you think ? Especially amongst the targeted playerbase (rpg sorta)? But for 100% "compatibility" you should go for normal ones. The question is: Do the roman numbers really add enough to the game that justify losing some "compatibility" ? I personally think, from an artistic point of view, they fit better to the games theme, I would probably add them after all. Or add a display option? Probably not worth the hassle tho.

Well, I think roman numbers are well known and especially among RPG players and older gamers yes. But, there's a big difference in how clear they are to read and understand without having to think, even for a split second, compared to our way of writing numbers. On the minimap however, there are normal numbers, like this:

I'm not even sure numbers are the way to go for the vendors, but i need some way of telling the player that this vendor is better than the one on the previous level, because, there will be occasions where you will find a lower tier vendor later in the game.

Also, adding to the confusion, is that when you bought something from the vendor, it disappears from the shop list (seems obvious) but what happens then is that there will be vendors which are empty if you already bought things earlier in the game and at the same time you can't see what you bought anywhere else in the game, if you're not an experienced player, you won't know what you bought, how strong it is and or what it does.

Just writing this is obviously confusing =)

I'd love to be able to create my own campaigns, classes, spells AND graphics for this game, if possible. I'm loving it so far, thank you for this!!

But I'm having some problems when trying to play multiplayer online coop. I've tried to port foward 9995, I've tried hamachi, but not seems to work, it just gets stuck on "Joining...".
Am I doing something wrong? Do all of us have to port forward, or only the host??

And another question: Do you guys plan on making monsters with different behaviors? From what I've played so far, they just sit still untl you get close enough.

There will be the possibility to edit the graphics, build levels and such.

You only need to open the port on the server are you sure there's no firewall blocking you or something?

Well, we do obviously present more behaviors later in the game!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: May 19, 2013, 04:11:09 AM »

I think the plain brown colour on the tops of the walls looks out of place compared to the very detailed tiles and sprites. I can see what you are trying to do, but I don't think this quite works at the moment.
Polyphonic Entity
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: May 19, 2013, 06:48:26 AM »

Well, I think roman numbers are well known and especially among RPG players and older gamers yes. But, there's a big difference in how clear they are to read and understand without having to think, even for a split second, compared to our way of writing numbers. On the minimap however, there are normal numbers, like this:

I'm not even sure numbers are the way to go for the vendors, but i need some way of telling the player that this vendor is better than the one on the previous level, because, there will be occasions where you will find a lower tier vendor later in the game.

Also, adding to the confusion, is that when you bought something from the vendor, it disappears from the shop list (seems obvious) but what happens then is that there will be vendors which are empty if you already bought things earlier in the game and at the same time you can't see what you bought anywhere else in the game, if you're not an experienced player, you won't know what you bought, how strong it is and or what it does.

I thought about this again and I think what you said about "thinking for a split second" is absolutely right. As you said, the design should be clear and not confusing. No player in the world will think "Oh this game sucks because there are no roman letters" but maybe some people lose some motivation because they think "hm what is going with the vendors". So I think:

1. The display on the mini map and on the actual game screen need to be identical.
2. What you did on the mini map appears to be the perfect solution, so I think you should do it the same way on the game screen to avoid confusion.
3. Maybe you should make it so that vendors tell the players what they already bought for instance "All L3 items sold"

Happy designing  Smiley
DankMJ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 21, 2013, 09:08:37 AM »

I think I would make it that the items don't disappear from the list, but simply get darkened, and then disable them for purchase, and make a sort of inventory screen that lists your purchased upgrades and their properties.
Arkantrus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 21, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »

I'm not 100% sure I understood the problem here, but I think the upgrades you buy in the shops could be displayed like this:

In the pic:
- Combo Timer is Rank 2, you have 2 more ranks to buy on this merchant, and the 5th rank can't be bought here

- Combo Nova is locked (missing some other upgrade requirement)

- Combo Healing is rank 5 (Fully upgraded)

I think this system would be ideal, this way you can always check what spells you have already Bought/Maxed

You only need to open the port on the server are you sure there's no firewall blocking you or something?
I'm pretty sure... I rarely have problems playing multiplayer, and I have no idea why I can't make it work on hammerwatch!
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 21, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »

I'm not 100% sure I understood the problem here, but I think the upgrades you buy in the shops could be displayed like this:

In the pic:
- Combo Timer is Rank 2, you have 2 more ranks to buy on this merchant, and the 5th rank can't be bought here

- Combo Nova is locked (missing some other upgrade requirement)

- Combo Healing is rank 5 (Fully upgraded)

I think this system would be ideal, this way you can always check what spells you have already Bought/Maxed

I'm pretty sure... I rarely have problems playing multiplayer, and I have no idea why I can't make it work on hammerwatch!

I tried a system like this in the prototype, but ended up not using it because I couldn't match it with some other UI thing, size or whatever.

(These armors are lent from elsewhere for our inhouse prototype and now we are using text instead.)

And it's a good system, you see the how many levels there are and which one you have. We really should do this again, the text thing we have in the store with Combo Healing L3 isn't that good really, you don't know how many levels there are and it's not as clear and/or good looking.

Muzuh
Level 0

Jungle Man!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: May 21, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »

Would it be ok if I were to do videos on this game. A big fan of games like these and love varieties.

Andar en bicicleta! I speaka duh espanola!
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 21, 2013, 10:45:28 PM »

Would it be ok if I were to do videos on this game. A big fan of games like these and love varieties.

Go ahead.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic