Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:38:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBini Singularity - Strategic RPG sans violence
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bini Singularity - Strategic RPG sans violence  (Read 942 times)
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2012, 04:41:35 AM »

There is wordplay involved. This devlog should've been started a week or so ago... c'est la vie.

Bini Singularity is about binis who live in a space station around a binary singularity, while they attempt to achieve binary technological (or Kurzweil) singularities.

To do this, you assign the binis to research and learn science, the success of which are handled RPG style, the system of which is patterned rather strongly after Tom Dowd's work on Shadowrun and the White Wolf Storyteller system. Challenges will arise during their tasks, which the binis must also surmount. Binis run the risk of losing focus on their job, and if they lose all interest in their work, they retire from science!

Character Information screen

It's nice to see that when unlit and untextured, the glaring issues of the bini model's shape are much more apparent. He has no ribs!

Bini Singularity will never be finished, and will lurk forever in Devlogs. Unless, for some reason, a ton of people want me to finish it. It is primarily a platform for me to incorporate a host of new 3rd party technologies into my framework, as well as develop some new ones of my own. It is also intended to help me more intensely focus on developing good work hygiene on gams, rather than just whenever I feel impassioned to, as a preposition to a commercial development. I had tentatively labeled a "stop-working-by" date of Jan 1, but I've not quite been working as intently as I wanted to, and may extend that. I started working on it in mid-Nov, but I've not clocked that many hours on it yet. We'll see how things go.

Unlike most of my games, therefore, Bini Singularity is not primarily a private ludological experiment - though, of course, I couldn't resist making it into one. As far as the experiment goes, I hypothesize that the lack of violence will suck away some of the visceral immediacy of typical RPG fun. I think this could be balanced with more gratuitous feedback system to the player, but I also think that involves a level of graphics work and time involved on this project that it doesn't deserve.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:12:29 PM by starsrift » Logged

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 07:10:07 PM »

Been working on the mission UI and generation engine. Not yet complete.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic