Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58434 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:51:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Menu System
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Menu System  (Read 15986 times)
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 04:06:24 AM »

Or chucked a Balding's Quest and vanished into the aether.

noo don't say it donnn't say it it'll be back one day i'm sure!!!
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 07:53:11 AM »

I saw it, and for 4 months of work that's pretty damn disappointing.  Undecided You can take Game Maker's platform example, throw in different sprites and a slightly more complex camera system and you would get that.
It's been two months, actually, and I think our progress has been pretty damn impressive. If you think the game plays like the platform example, you obviously haven't tried it in earnest.
While a forum may suit many people's needs as a project and resource management system, I feel that it is very messy and inefficient.
We're making this project for fun; it doesn't need to be run like a hyper-efficient business.
Efficient community projects are built with extensibility, manageability and adaptability, and Game Maker makes it pretty hard to do all of those things.
The engine's built with this in mind, so adding a character only requires adding to a few scripts. This method has worked pretty well so far.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 08:03:47 PM »

It's funny how you always find something to say, no matter how wrong it is.

It defies all logic.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 10:25:40 PM »

This IS a community project, but as it stands, Nightshade has really taken up some initiative as so far. He's helped get us all together, focus on certain priorities, and made the engine, to my knowledge. He uses Gamemaker. Hence, it is currently in Gamemaker.

Whilst that's an awful way to argue a point, that's the current deal - he decided to do some grunt work on it, so it's in the format he's comfortable with. I agree it excludes many from working on the project, but wouldn't throwing it into another language do the same, merely with a different set of people? And take more time.

Though, as I've said, Skofo, if you (or a friend, or another member) can provide a easy to work with and neutral engine - an editor of sorts, I suppose - talk it over with Nightshade and do so. It sounds useful. Sadly, no one has volunteered one, nor have they suggested they have an interest in doing so.
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 12:59:10 AM »

Damn, I wish I was as good with words as Gainsworthy. I just can't think of  how to put stuff like that.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 07:18:23 AM »

I'd just like to clarify one point here. I have not used any functions that require a registered version of Game Maker, so anyone with a Windows system can download GM and work with the code. It's not difficult to learn, and the only code you need to deal with is in the five uncategorized scripts.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 11:21:41 PM »

It defies all logic.

Huh, the same thing could be said about this statement.

But yeah, I agree with Gainsworthy - we have come quite far with the current strategy already and in my opinion it's running quite smoothly - except that we need more spriters. Wink
Anyway, no need to make a structure hyper-efficient, when the people using it are not hyper-efficiently oriented...

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 01:11:06 PM »

It defies all logic.

Huh, the same thing could be said about this statement.

But yeah, I agree with Gainsworthy - we have come quite far with the current strategy already and in my opinion it's running quite smoothly - except that we need more spriters. Wink
Anyway, no need to make a structure hyper-efficient, when the people using it are not hyper-efficiently oriented...

Nonsense!

You guys, this is not about childish things like fun. This is serious business, and serious business mandates serious efficiency.

I expect this game to be completely finished by the end of the week. If you don't, you're all failuresLips Sealed

failures...

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Renton
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 01:16:39 PM »

Lips Sealed Tired
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 04:14:16 PM »

Roll Eyes
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »

back on topic: i made a mockup of what i think the menu should look like. yes it's reminiscent of Brawl, it's meant to be. the style can be easily changed - but what I want you to look at is how the menu flows.

http://www.zshare.net/flash/20239950de8b7655/
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 05:02:17 PM »

I think you forgot about local multiplayer.  Smiley

Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 05:18:03 PM »

oops, I did!

http://www.zshare.net/flash/20241470de5ace21/
godsavant
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »

Mm...nice, slick interface. Great job.

The scribbly question mark kind of looks out of place amongst the other clean icons, though. Then again, this is just a mock-up, right?  Smiley
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2008, 05:40:14 PM »

correct. if you guys want me to create some menu assets for reals, I'll delete that ? and make a new one.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2008, 05:45:53 PM »

The actual menu should really be done in pixel art. The game needs a unified look and feel.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2008, 05:52:25 PM »

The actual menu should really be done in pixel art. The game needs a unified look and feel.
Same thing that I was going to say. Also shouldn't we get the basic menu style decided first? Because portraits should be done in the same way, same with health bars counters and the like in game.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2008, 06:31:33 PM »

Three portraits are already done, so their look is already pretty much set.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 08:09:21 PM by Nightshade » Logged

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2008, 07:41:05 PM »

Cool, if a bit dull colour-wise.
What does everyone think about my idea of having ai bots battling in the background?

Also we still need a big (or not?) title logo.
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 07:22:50 AM »

Cool, if a bit dull colour-wise.
What does everyone think about my idea of having ai bots battling in the background?

Also we still need a big (or not?) title logo.
Howsabout to the left of the menu options is a box, where the ai could just sorta be duking it out, and when you hover over one of the options, the description of the menu option would be displayed there.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic