Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411803 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 08:08:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsImagine Me - Coming to WiiU!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Imagine Me - Coming to WiiU!  (Read 3990 times)
yuotta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »

This is awesome! Oy! Although I still got caught on the corner of the box and stopped. I figured out some way of fixing collision. People don't realize how powerful Unity is with 2d! Nice one
Cyman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »

I'm not sure how it would work in Unity but maybe you could constantly check the x-speed to change the animation it plays, instead of the controls.
kinifi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 07:39:44 AM »

I figured it out. Its a common issue in platformers. Here let me set up the scene so you can see what I'm seeing.

1. The Player can only jump when the raycast tells him he can jump,
2. There is only one raycast and thats points down from the middle of his sprite,
3. If he goes on the edge he can't jump because the raycast is in the middle of his body not on the edge of his sprite,
4. He can't move because movement is disable while in the air. (Real physics jumping! no air movement)

How do you fix this?
There are a few different options but the best one is simple and I am already using the code for it. Just draw two new raycasts at the edges of the sprite, pointing down. If any of these are touching an object, the player will be able to move and jump. This will allow him to move when he is on edges and not get stuck.

PROFIT haha
Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 05:39:31 PM »

Neat idea. Will the room move along a predefined path, or will it be random? Might be interesting to have the challenge in a previous room affect the next one in unexpected and interesting ways.

(Ye gods, those crates)

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
kinifi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 07:38:42 PM »

In the picture I made a predetermined path but I can have him just go to nodes randomly. I'd like them to progress through levels though and be able to see and panic at whatever is ahead
kinifi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 12:00:24 PM »

I'd love to get some feedback on the bedroom scene that I'm making. Right now I dont have a lot of assets in it so you will notice the large amount of books but that will change once I get more setup. Just let me know what you think of the layout so far.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 12:15:29 AM »

Hi! I think it looks cool, I like the photos and the wall paper texture. There are a few problems though, IMO, most notably the ever present "what is solid terrain" issue that you always struggle with when making a platformer. For example, are the books something you'll collide with? The book shelf? What I after a while realized was a window I at first thought was a big block of solid terrain, as it shares the feature of being dark with the walls.

The most common way to tackle this is to make the foreground a different colour tint than the background, and make the background more faded contrast- and saturation-wise. In most of the cases people tend to make the foreground warmer colors (yellower) and the background colder colors (bluer):

Another thing: The sense of scale in this screenshot seems a lot different~

If I were to imagine the size of a bed based on those graphics, I'd say it would occupy no more than one tile. What's up with that?

Anyway, you've obviously done pixel art before, so I think you'll find your way with this. And it'll be really interesting to see where you take your crazy moving room idea  Grin
kinifi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 08:09:37 AM »

Anyway, you've obviously done pixel art before, so I think you'll find your way with this.
Its funny you say this because I've only made one game with pixel art before and that was for a game jam. http://www.kongregate.com/games/kinifi/train-cognitin So any tips help Smiley

The tinting thing is just what I was looking for. I'll change it up and see if that makes a difference!

Also I've started on the world layout with feels similar to Super Mario World's Map.
kinifi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 07:57:23 AM »

The Above posts are older and the art style has changed completely! (Read the First Post)

Here is an updated screenshot with the new ice blocks!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic