Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:04:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Playtesting
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Playtesting  (Read 6639 times)
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2008, 01:23:32 AM »

TO ALL INDIE BRAWL CODERS:
I am going to do a three player playtest tomorrow, anyone who wants their characters and/or levels to be tested please upload and post a link here. At the moment I have Naija and Quote as they are in the brawl34.gmk file, if they have been updated please post a link here. If you are going to I will need it by 8:30am AEST (Default forum time + 18 hours) tomorrow.

Also, how do I use an XBox 360 controller with a PC?
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 01:27:48 AM »

Xbox 360 controllers, sadly, must be wired. I do not mean a "wired charge kit". I mean an actual, honest to goodness, wired controller. Annoyed me to no end when I discovered this fact.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 01:56:25 AM »

Xbox 360 controllers, sadly, must be wired. I do not mean a "wired charge kit". I mean an actual, honest to goodness, wired controller. Annoyed me to no end when I discovered this fact.

Actually the wired charge kit doesn't work because the charge cable doesn't transfer data.

You need one of these instead:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360wirelessgamingreceiver/
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 02:00:04 AM »

Hopefully Nightshade can give you his modified version of Nikujin.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 06:05:16 AM »

I was going to hold off releasing this until I could give it a little more polish, but since you need it by tomorrow, here's the current version of the game I'm working with. I haven't added any menus yet, so you'll need to manually edit the create event of the Control object to change controls, characters and settings.

Also, I don't recommend the wireless gaming receiver. I've heard it causes problems with other wireless devices, and you can buy a wired controller for only slightly more.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 06:29:38 PM »

Just finished playtesting.

- Camera sytem is excellent. Very nice zooming, no noticeable pixel-killing.
- Nikujin seems to be overpowered compared to the other two.
- Quote's King attack is too powerful. Easy to spam, unblockable.
- Naija's moves are too slow. Consider making flipper kick faster?
- We found that the one-way platforms were too easy to go through if you were trying to do a down attack. Maybe make a delay before going through?

Also I couldn't get the menu system working with brawl38. It kept saying that an event that didn't exist (Release <no key> key) had code that was referring to an unknown variable (Control.p1_type) which works elsewhere. The string of code is in the character select room creation code, and it worked with brawl34, so I'm confuzzled  Huh?
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 06:52:34 PM »

- We found that the one-way platforms were too easy to go through if you were trying to do a down attack. Maybe make a delay before going through?

About that, i think a down double tap (and hold maybe) could work better, since i have the same problem as above...it just goes down when i don't want it to.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 07:15:18 PM »

- Nikujin seems to be overpowered compared to the other two.
Can you give me some more specifics? From my own experiences, he was great against Quote, but had major problems with Naija (stupid spike seeds).
- Quote's King attack is too powerful. Easy to spam, unblockable.
I didn't find it too bad, but it could probably use a bit longer warmup time.
- Naija's moves are too slow. Consider making flipper kick faster?
I can make flipper kick a bit faster. It's already pretty strong, though, dealing more damage than all three of Nikujin's standard attacks put together.
There already is a delay. I can, of course, make it longer.
Also I couldn't get the menu system working with brawl38. It kept saying that an event that didn't exist (Release <no key> key) had code that was referring to an unknown variable (Control.p1_type) which works elsewhere. The string of code is in the character select room creation code, and it worked with brawl34, so I'm confuzzled  Huh?
I'll be adding the menu soon, and I'll deal with that when it comes up.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »

About that, i think a down double tap (and hold maybe) could work better, since i have the same problem as above...it just goes down when i don't want it to.
this.

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 08:26:10 PM »

The double tap might work for a keyboard, but for an analog stick on a controller, I think it would be a problem.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 09:03:38 PM »

I think a delay would be better. It would be nicer for joystick users, and might add a bit more depth/balance as well, since right now I would imagine that drop-through is one of the fastest dodges you can get.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 09:50:06 PM »

It's still really eays to pin people down with Nikujin's attacks. If you just keep spamming slash then shurikens, it's really hard to avoid. Then again, maybe I just need to block more. But if you are pinned, really the only thing Naija can do is sit there guarding.

I thought a controller would be friendlier using the d-pad? Then you could have double tap to go down, but I reckon that would get tedious and annoying.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 04:31:41 AM »

It's still really eays to pin people down with Nikujin's attacks. If you just keep spamming slash then shurikens, it's really hard to avoid. Then again, maybe I just need to block more. But if you are pinned, really the only thing Naija can do is sit there guarding.
Nikujin's fast, and like most fast characters in fighting games, he's good at pinning his opponents. Is it really too overpowered, though? Even if you hit with three slashes and shurikens, it still only does 9 damage. This is better than the other characters, but Nikujin also has less health (25 instead of 30 in the version you have, but only 20 in the current working version).

I thought a controller would be friendlier using the d-pad? Then you could have double tap to go down, but I reckon that would get tedious and annoying.
I think I'll just increase the delay first. If it's still an issue I can add the double tap mechanic.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 04:39:26 AM by Nightshade » Logged

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 08:58:12 AM »

How do the following changes to Nikujin sound?
-Making low slash slower but stronger. This both differentiates it from the standard slash and prevents you from abusing it to chain too many attacks together.

-Changing the knockback from the sword slashes to make it more vertical. This makes it harder to chain it into shurikens.

-Increasing the warm-up time for through slash and wall run.

The-Imp
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 04:55:15 PM »

This is awesome!

Not much else to say though, but if the GMK was leaked to other websites, what if they gave it out, and others built upon it, or edit most of the stuff out, edit most of the code and made into their own game?

Not that I would EVER do that, but what if it were to happen?
Just trying to sound smart, I need practice sounding smart.
 Gentleman

But either than that, I have no idea what some of the controls are...
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 07:04:04 PM »

The-imp, do you mean it would be a good thing or a bad thing if that happened? Because I assume that if Nightshade's making his code open source, he's quite prepared for the possibility of someone ripping it off and using it elsewhere.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 07:20:12 PM »

Not much else to say though, but if the GMK was leaked to other websites, what if they gave it out, and others built upon it, or edit most of the stuff out, edit most of the code and made into their own game?
I don't really care, if that's what it takes for someone to make a good game... though it would be nice if they credited us.

I would be a little surprised if that happened, though. And even if it did happen, their version would not be as good as ours.

But either than that, I have no idea what some of the controls are...
Arrow keys and I, O and P for player 1
WASD and F, G and H for player 2

The-Imp
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 08:24:28 AM »

Thanks for the controls!

Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic