Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:30:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWho do you design for?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Who do you design for?  (Read 4575 times)
PeteDevlin
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 12:50:06 PM »

I'm not trying to be a commercial developer at all. If I make something decent then I'll offer it up for sale, but I'm making something that I can thoroughly enjoy and share with fellow developers, take to art shows, get involved in jams etc.

I'f I build a range of good engines then I might be able to help others achieve their aims.

So for me,I design for myself.
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 10:16:47 AM »

If I may chip in as a professional software (not games) developer... When you are working for someone else, all this (very interesting by the way) discussion is moot.

You design for whatever you are told to design, specially when starting out. I'm not trying to be rude or shoot the thread down, just point out that that is a reality you have to come to terms with if you intend to work professionally, or else you'll end burning up when your "vision" clashes with what your employers are paying you for.  No No NO

Back on track, trying to design things outside of your interests is a good training, though, one that I do too.

The idea of designing games for children, for example, is pretty neat, as it is an usually mistreated audience (since kids are stupid, games made for them are stupid too), making it very interesting to go and try to design good games for them.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic