Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:49:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMonetizing Flash Games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Monetizing Flash Games  (Read 4875 times)
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:54:01 AM »

Hey folks,

I was in the neighborhood and was thinking about monetizing Flash games.  I understand the model for downloadable content in which, well, you make money by selling games.

What about Flash games?  What are your thoughts on using ad-based gaming or sponsorships?  I hear that a highly rated and anticipated game can get fronted, via sponsorship, in the tens of thousands of dollars while ad based models can net you a lot as well.

Are there any avenues you prefer or stay away from?   Gentleman
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 09:03:41 AM »

I don't have any personal experience, but here are some links I found interesting:

http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2007/10/28/experiment-monetizing-a-flash-game/
http://www.flashgamesponsorship.com/regular-content/regular-content/my-experiences.html
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 10:44:53 AM »

Ad revenue is what makes the world go 'round in Flash game development. A sponsorship is up-front money you get in exchange for driving traffic to a sponsor's site and (consequently) earning them ad revenue. I've done this several times in the past--it can be a good tactic if you need money fast, or if you don't have the means to collect ad revenue yourself, though in the long-term it's probably not a great tactic for maintaining a stable flow of income.

There are a few things you can do if you don't want a sponsorship, though. One is to embed an ad in your games (e.g. Mochiads, Gamejacket, or something custom-made if you strike up an agreement with a particular site) that plays while they load. Another is to direct traffic to your own website, where you will make money through (guess what?) ad revenue.

Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »

The money you make from sponsorship is significantly greater than from advertising revenue. I highly reccomend that for anyone who wants to make money from flash games, that they have a look at the different types of sponsorship and then post their game on FlashGameLicense. Ad based revenue is a long term thing that can make a nice slice of profit but its the way you handle sponsorships that make or break the deal.

@alexandersshen: Under what circumstances are you looking to make an income? If you're looking at say keeping the game exclusively on your own website, the approach you would take would be very different to if you were looking to simply maximise profits.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic