Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:46:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingShoot! Shoot! Don't talk!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shoot! Shoot! Don't talk!  (Read 820 times)
skaven
Level 0

Addicted to gamedev.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:31:01 AM »

Happy new year!
I've made a little 2D top-down shooter during my vacation.

Download it here for Windows. http://skaven.fr/downloads/reload130101.zip

A bonus appears for every 50points made. That bonus, when picked, gives you a new weapon. 10 weapons are available.

Best played using an xbox360 USB pad. Controls are standard :WSAD for moving, mouse for aiming. left click to shoot, right click to reload.

Any feedback and critic is warmly welcome Smiley
kamoh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:10:26 AM »

Controls feel great, and overall gameplay feels somewhat disturbing given the setting and police (blue blocks). Great job so far.

HUD elements are definitely needed to keep track of points and weapon unlocks, as well as the ammo status in your gun (to know when you have to reload). The grenade/flamethrower effects are nicely done, as is the screen shake when one goes off. Kind of odd to see the pedestrians walking at normal speed once the fighting starts though - maybe make them move faster to simulate panicked running? If so, maybe add crowd SFX to support this?

Questions/thoughts:

- Do you get points added/subtracted for shooting bystanders?
- Is there a life meter? Maybe add this to the HUD?
- Any thoughts on two-player? The abstract but grounded visuals + building off of this smooth gameplay base could make for compelling multiplayer.
- You could possibly make an interesting commentary on the Newton shootings since this style is so suggestive while not being grotesque, but that depends on where you want to go with it.

I guess the last question is, what are your plans for this? Otherwise, it's a tidy little vertical slice Smiley

skaven
Level 0

Addicted to gamedev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:48:36 PM »

There is a HUD in the lower left. Is it properly rendered on your pc?
kamoh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 07:41:22 AM »

Nope, no HUD and I can't expand the screen at all.

This is what I'm seeing:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic