Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:23:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge: The Album 2012
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge: The Album 2012  (Read 15531 times)
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 09:13:54 AM »

Edited the first post to reflect who's sent me the track yet.
Things are shaping up!

Let me remind everyone: If at all possible, hand in uncompressed files (wav or aiff).

Please use my mail address to get in touch with me, it's info (at) moritzpgkatz (dot) de

Converting all the different formats to wav, then leveling them, then reconverting them to .mp3 and FLAC... it's just a lot of hassle and will detriment the sound quality somewhat.

Still open for ideas regarding bonus tracks and possible charity organizations.
Regarding the final choices, there will be polls. Right now, let's just gather ideas lest we fall into endless discussions. (we can do that at a later point, promise)

Thanks,
Moritz

I already gave a suggestion for a bonus track. XDD

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
E-Rock
Level 0

A Robott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 12:17:36 AM »

I think a working voting system would be rather hard to establish - if there's too much communication involved, it might get difficult to get things sorted out. I like the system we have right now, because this ensures that everyone actually gets a personal feedback. This might be quite difficult to achieve within a more democratic system. Eventually, picking a single winner is also a good practice for developing analytical skills.
After all, the feedback is what we're here for; I don't think that a more evenhanded community pick is neccessary.

I'm not gonna lie, I do agree with this sentiment as well.  My basic idea was to see if there was any interest in changing the rule-set for the challenges.. just to keep it a little fresher.  However, I did just come up with an idea relating to a voting system.  Keep the original system in place, and then add  a voting system that could be used to determine the "runners up" so to speak.  And the runners up would be included in the theoretical 2013 compilation album.  This way, we can determine which tracks that would be intended to be added to future compilations more easily... while also still keeping the feedback element and give the person in charge of the challenge a bit more responsibility as well. 

Audio Engineer/Songwriter
-Eric
Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2013, 10:46:36 AM »

Child's Play is the first one that comes to mind, but maybe we could donate to some african/asian/south-american children's rights group? Or then, maybe amnesty, which has this anti-human-trafficing campaign going on currently.

edit: this one, maybe too http://www.thea21campaign.org/

Also on a side note I'm totally in this, so I'm up for submitting
https://soundcloud.com/redapricorn/ice-coffee
from challenge.... IV? (The detective theme one) as a bonus track.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 12:44:28 PM »

http://empower.asia/

I've been personally involved with the Cambodian side of things (raising money for school/uni funds etc) and they are a small but trustworthy organisation.

medieval
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »

People, I have a personal request. While I'm aware that this is kind of a bad idea, I would really like to have one of my own tracks to be nominated for the bonus tracks, if it appeals to everyone involved, of course. While it is unrelated to the TIGS challenge series, I do personally feel that my current 30-second entry "Broken Spirit" does not match up to all of these amazing compositions that are on the album.

Hear my humble plead
Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »

narasu: how about expanding the track? I believe we still have ample time until the "release", so you could work on it comfortably. I'd agree on the bonus track as well (god damn, that shit kicks ass big time!), but I think it's all gonna come down to some sort of a voting system.

And now for something IMPORTANT:
I've tried contacting VDZ, but I keep receiving failed delivery status messages. Is there anyone out there who can contact him in one way or another? Would be really helpful!

VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »

And now for something IMPORTANT:
I've tried contacting VDZ, but I keep receiving failed delivery status messages. Is there anyone out there who can contact him in one way or another? Would be really helpful!
Eh? I'm right here, I posted on the previous page. I've also e-mailed Moritz and he e-mailed me back (and I e-mailed back again but received no reply - I assume it arrived properly since the last mail did).

How were you trying to contact me, anyways? If you were trying to send mail to my MSN address, [email protected], it hasn't been an actual e-mail for almost a decade now (if you go to dolfijn.nl you'll notice it has been taken by a domain parking company).
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2013, 05:52:20 PM »

mine still says "mp3", i've sent a .wav but it may have expired now.

Just checking you got it : )

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »

Hey guys,

Sorry I didn't answer all mails and messages personally yet.
I think I've received most of the tracks now, thanks everyone!
I've just been swamped the past few days, will update everything tomorrow.

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 10:40:36 AM »

Hello,

I've modified the OP to reflect the current track situation!  Blink
Please review, and if you need to get in touch with me, please do it via mail.

info (at) moritzpgkatz (dot) de

Once we've gathered all tracks or the deadline has passed, we'll cover the next steps, which will be:

• Voting on Bonus Tracks
  • Getting someone to draw an awesome album cover
  • Voting on a charity
  • Setting up Bandcamp (or a similar service)
  • Spreading the word

I'd love to get some feedback on how to tackle these things, it's really quite a lot of work and responsibility and I would welcome and appreciate any help I can get! Smiley

Cheers,
Moritz

medieval
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 01:49:56 PM »

Voting on bonus tracks would be easiest done with a poll, I think. All bonus track requests should go here before the deadline so that they can be compiled into a list all at once. And out of the top voted tracks, x number of them actually get included in the album.

I don't know who would be up for drawing an album cover, but there are many (MANY) talented artists here on the forums and there is no doubt that someone will offer their services.

As for charity organizations, I know few and distrust many, so I can't really help with that sort of thing.

I reckon there could be a feature about the album on the TIGSource frontpage upon release, and there's a whole bunch of other marketing methods that have relatively simple implementations, like a facebook page, sharing with friends etc.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 07:04:53 PM »

As for charity organizations, I know few and distrust many, so I can't really help with that sort of thing.
You can help by pointing out that organization X can't be trusted if such an organization is recommended by someone, and provide information on what's wrong with them. For me, the most important thing about the choice of charity is that it goes to a trustworthy organization that doesn't just waste the money.
medieval
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 04:40:09 AM »

I think the ACLU is actually quite a respectable organization, for one. They know their shit and fight for things which I consider to be important for everyone, like due process (rapidly fading away in the U.S.), open internet, drug law reform, voting rights, gay rights, and more. While they are centered in the States, a lot of U.S. policy affects the entire world in very nasty ways. The ACLU is defiant, non-partisan and labeled a terrorist organization by Bill O'Reilly. Just that last part warrants a donation in my book.

Here's a full list of reviews with varying degrees of legitimacy (but check out what the PhD guys have to say):
http://aclu.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001316
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2013, 06:38:18 AM »

I'd like to add Terre des Hommes and Pro Asyl to the list; Terre des Hommes focuses mainly on world wide children's rights but also on world trade while Pro Asyl, as the name suggests, focuses on asylum related rights. Since this is an international contest, I think an international organisation might be more suitable. Both Terre des Hommes and Pro Asyl focus on politically relevant topics and especially Terre des Hommes also works for long term improvements.
That being said, I still think ACLU would be a good choice as well.
Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 05:14:30 AM »

Eh? I'm right here, I posted on the previous page. I've also e-mailed Moritz and he e-mailed me back (and I e-mailed back again but received no reply - I assume it arrived properly since the last mail did).

Sorry, my bad, I probably tried to use the msn (I believe I also sent you a message through this site, but since I always forget to tick that damn "save copy" box, I can't say it for sure), also totally failed to notice your last post. Tongue

Another thing: what are the ideas regarding the cover? What sort of style do we want to go for?

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 04:03:52 AM »

Hey folks,

I think I've received all the tracks, thanks everyone!
This is gonna be a hell of a compilation, so much sweet and diverse music.

Will be back soon with a bigger update, sorry this is taking a while - I've been pretty swamped this week and I don't want to rush this.
I'll set up polls for bonus tracks and charity organizations then, make sure you've posted your suggestions in this thread 'cause this will be where I take all the information from.

Remember to tell everyone in the meantime, hope we can raise some  Hand Money Left Hand Money Right !

Cheers,
Moritz

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2013, 09:23:56 AM »

ok, i'm a little ashamed to do this. but i'd like to suggest my own track for a bonus ;   _   ;

it's just something that has no place to go and i love it a little. Only if you have space though. Don't prioritise me over getting other people involved since I've already got a track in the album. It's here:

MOSHI (my nearly entry for the kid's theme challenge)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11811680/moshi.mp3

I'mma have a cast my mind back and see what other bonus track suggestions I can think of...

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2013, 09:30:05 AM »

Shame on you! Nah, it's a good track but I'd rather see these on there. Smiley

Piece by Piece

Half-Minute Melee

8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 06:18:26 PM »

This one gets my vote for a bonus. Tight stuff. Cool