Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411597 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 10:50:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLL's One Game a Month [0/12]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: LL's One Game a Month [0/12]  (Read 1081 times)
LaughingLeader
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2013, 12:08:42 AM »

The percentage will reflect the overall goal (of 12 games each month), like the other 1GAM devblogs on here.

1GAM Profile: http://www.onegameamonth.com/Laughing_Leader

As a result of participating in the Ludum Dare 25 Jam (and loving it), I've decided to give myself more positive deadlines by participating in One Game a Month. The idea is to rack up real-life game dev experience, and have more finished games under my belt, while sticking to the level of quality that I want. I was really pleased with my LD25 entry, and if I can make something I enjoy in 60 hours, one month should be even better, right?

I'll be posting small summaries of progressive updates here, with the longer stuff on my blog.

January - Unlimited Barrage:

For the first month, I've begun developing a beat-em-up called, "Unlimited Barrage", a 2D side-scrolling action game with emphasis on beating stuff up via combos.

Currently, the attack keys correspond with P/K/S, or Punch/Kick/Smash. You can chain together all three types of attacks, and getting the right sequence will result in a combo finisher (I'll probably add some HUD clues on your equipped combo finisher sequences, with the option to hide/unhide it). So, for instance, if one of your combo finishers equipped is PPPK, inputting that sequence will trigger the combo finisher.

I want to have the combat be easy to learn, with the ability to master it and have a learning curve for the more complex combos and sequences. I want the player's combos to be customizable as well, and for there to be combo and combo finisher unlocks as the player progressing. God Hand is a big inspiration for this game, as I loved the ability to create your own combos in that game (such as equipping all pimp smacks).

The title "Ultimate Barrage" comes from an in-game ability that will be unlocked during certain parts of the game. Doing combos and hitting enemies will fill up a meter, and when that gets full, the player can enter "BARRAGE" mode. While attacks normally drain stamina, while BARRAGING, the player can attack stamina-free until the BARRAGE meter is depleted. I've got a cool after image effect working in the game for when this mode is activated.

Currently Completed:

• Combo System
  • Animation States/Transition System
  • Most of the building blocks for creating levels.
  • BARRAGE/UNLIMITED BARRAGE modes
  • After Images
  • Basic HP/Stamina Variables/UI

Animations:
  • Idle
  • Walk ** (Still needs works, as it looks kinda funky)

• Cross/Jab/Uppercut
  • Front Kick

To Do

• Add some basic enemies/things to hit.
  • Add combo-finishers.
  • Create a combo/combo finisher equipping system.

Animations:
  • Roundhouse Kick
  • Muay Thai Round (Old Style) Kick
  • Haymaker (Smash Attack)
  • Sprint
  • Idle (Tired)

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 01:39:02 AM »

The animations are wonderful
poe