Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:31:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRobot'cha Wars'cha
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Robot'cha Wars'cha  (Read 15680 times)
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2007, 12:27:22 AM »

'Aight, too lazy to write another poorly thought out thread, so I'm just gonna copy paste from Pixelation. I'll put the ones I can at a 2X zoom since this forum don't have a zoom feature.
Here's my newest project. Made to replace my last overambitious project. I might have already bit off more than I can chew, though.
It's a turn based strategy side scroller. Should be viewed at 2X. Some of them have unfinished floors because I'm a lazy bastard.

In order of age:

First concept I have saved, currently. Posted this here before.

Outdated concept image for a floater pilot. They'd provide it some bonus, I dunno. Maybe cheaper movement, maybe they'd be required for it to move. The main point was to show a possible way to switch from normal to goggled.

A full level, at the full screen size. Introduces weapons, a HUD, and more unit types.

Badly positioned WIP buy GUI! Dark red is the active pointer, grey orange is the inactive one, and you switch between the two windows with some button. The flight cap gets rid of the need for the switch animation in the Floater switching concept

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 12:31:17 AM »

Looks lovely!  Totally awesome, dude.  It's just too bad that I want so much to control those little dudes directly.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 02:26:00 AM »

Looks sweet. Smiley

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 02:26:11 AM »

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 06:24:32 AM »

ooh, the robot designs are GREAT.
lots of personality for such tiny sprites.
come on now, make some great floor with great personality.

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 09:52:18 AM »

I'll put the ones I can at a 2X zoom since this forum don't have a zoom feature.

For the record, the img bbcode tag takes width and height attributes; just enter double the orginal of either for 2X zoom.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 12:29:43 AM »

Woowoo! Update!
Anyways, probably won't keep this tileset, but every time I look at it I like it more Huh?.
First off: Channeler. Yellow orb guy with lightning. Every turn there's say... an 80% he gets hit with lightning. Either at the beginning of the next turn, or at the beginning of the turn after his third charge (That is, when he gets hit with lightning), he'll unleash a destructive beam, doing MEGA DAMAGE, and having slight AOE damage to the squares left and right of the point hit. It might also destroy the terrain.

And then, the unnamed flying squid guy:
He'll have a lot of mobility, and will fly around, spinning the whole time. To attack, he'll lower his robotic spinning gonadlegs onto the enemy, thrashing them to hell, or just knocking a unit that's flying down a square, and doing a little damage.

Also, this has been planned from the beginning, but I don't think I mentioned it. Flying units will not be able to go through caves, although Channelers and Floaters will be able to use their abilites (lightning and grappling beam, respectively) through it.

Also, I think, if my attempts to learn how to program in C++ don't get me anywhere within a month or two, I'm gonna try and recruit someone.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 01:07:48 AM »

Looks very nice. The walking tanks remind me of the walking tanks in Advance Wars 2.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 02:51:13 AM »

Targetting system! Each weapon will(More optimistic then would Smiley) have a unique way of shooting bitches.
Your standard pistol, which is the example, can fire at 45 degree angles, except, um, not up or down, and it has unlimited range. Diagonal has a 3 tile range all the way (It covers one tile completely and consistently touches the two horizontally next to that one), while horizontally it spreads out every few tiles from it's 2 height base.
The red targetting areas are a little more damaging then the orange (And on that note, a point blank shot shouldn't be orange... Thanks Sega), and bullets have a chance of straying one tile up or down per 8 moved horizontally.

Also, you don't see the downward diagonal targetting because there's floor there, and you to shoot the other direction (Left, to be precise) you need simply press the directional key.

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 03:00:40 AM »

nice!  I like that the shot has a chance of straying, instead of just a chance of missing for the sake of missing.  Is there a reason why shooting diagonally gives less damage?  And will shooting straight up be out of the question?

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 03:06:18 AM »

For the diagonals: Not really, but there will probably be a bishopy gun that does a lot of damage but can only/mainly shoot diagonally. 's mainly about creating opportunities for other guns.

As for shooting straight up, that was actually because I was too lazy to make an upward targeting area and said "fuck it, pistols don't need to shoot straight up". :D

Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 06:37:19 AM »

Nice. For some reason it reminds me of worms in a more pixelish way :-P.

Btw, since this is a robot thing, shouldn't there be some levels made of mechanic stuff, like gears, pipes, gears, huge robot parts (like, f.e., a big broken head of a robot in the same style as the tinys)?

~bs~
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 08:05:48 AM »

Nice. For some reason it reminds me of worms in a more pixelish way :-P.

Btw, since this is a robot thing, shouldn't there be some levels made of mechanic stuff, like gears, pipes, gears, huge robot parts (like, f.e., a big broken head of a robot in the same style as the tinys)?

Yeah, it's Ants.
Everyone loves gears and pipes and gadgets and widgets but at the same time it would take away from the organic feel the game got so far.
I like where you're taking this.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 08:06:43 AM »

It looked cooler with the bright orange floor IMO.

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 11:22:22 AM »

It looked cooler with the bright orange floor IMO.
I agree, but Inane said he likes the contrast between bright/simple/happy and dark/noisy/brooding.  I think there should be a compromise between the two.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »

WIP mock up of a different tile set, with a tactical choice in mind. You only get dudes on the left side of the tower, and have to get them across (Err, don't know why yet, since at this point you could technically kill all the enemies from across the gap). But, to get them across, you have to get rid of laser guy, since he'll blast your floater's asses. Either you make a mad dash using multiple flying units and hope they don't all get lasered to death, or you use ground units which would get fucked up by the squid thing guy. (Wait, dammit, flying squid wouldn't be able to attack if they're in the building)

ALSO, those little yellow arrow tile things protruding from the tower are like, antigravity devices, so you get up on the tower, but if you go to the top, lasers.

ptoing
Pixelhead
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 03:46:10 PM »

This is starting to look really nice.

rey-o
Level 1

'here i am, rock you like a hurricane'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 08:32:08 AM »

hey inane!

i'm with ptoing and everybody else, its looking super rad!

maybe there is a kind of switch or capture the flag type of thing that the guys need to cross the gap to get?

cheers, rey-o
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic