Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:54:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeLooking for a firm boot in the rear
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for a firm boot in the rear  (Read 14328 times)
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 06:49:36 PM »

Nothing really important. Start free, and if you like it, buy it. Registered isn't useful if you don't know the program, but if you like Game Maker, it's a pretty good place to stay at, if Cactus has taught me anything.

Need to stop using so many commas.
Bonesaw
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2008, 07:09:21 PM »

Commas are so passé; use semicolons instead.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 06:18:42 AM »

man you're annoying.

Bonesaw
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008, 06:28:34 AM »

man you're annoying.

Butthurt.
ChevyRay
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2008, 06:36:24 AM »

Many of actus' games are a great example of how one doesn't need to be really good at graphics to make awesome games.
increpare
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2008, 06:45:18 AM »

Many of actus' games are a great example of how one doesn't need to be really good at graphics to make awesome games.
Many of his games have a really good graphical style, I thought.  Jesse Venbrux is probably a better example to give I think (he also has style though...that vector-graphics platformer of his in particular struck me as being ingeniously styled). 

Also, bonesaw: stop rubbing your ass and go do some work.  You're wasting everyone's time otherwise.
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2008, 06:55:50 AM »

Roguelikes use very abstract graphics, and many people experience them as good fun games. Just to add another example, that games can be good with very simple graphics, to the level of highly symbolic abstract graphics.

Suggestions:

1) Take a break until buttache is gone
2) Pick the good advice from this thread
3) Start making the game of your dreams

If you have troubles to stick with a project, you must know that making games is hard work - at least at times. I think the key to motivation is to love this work. If you can't love it, another hobby or profession might be better for you.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 07:00:21 AM by Hajo » Logged

Per aspera ad astra
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2008, 10:02:46 AM »

or just wait and pray that one day in the near future they will make a machine that you stick on your head and it makes whatever game you are thinking of.  But until then, start working on a simple game.... or a big one, just do something and post.

diwil
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2008, 10:10:18 AM »

Roguelikes use very abstract graphics, and many people experience them as good fun games.
Oh my god, how could I forget this? My first actual game was a roguelike, or rogue-ish, nothing more than a randomly generated labyrinth with an @-sign to navigate through the #-signs to the yellow $-sign. A few years later, that had bloomed into a full blown roguelike, but, alas, being absent minded, I lost the sources and binaries when transferring my files.

A roguelike might be a really good place to start out from. Adom has a sort-of tutorial, here. It's well worth it's lines and should get you started. It's all in C, so learning the basics before you dive in would be highly recommended.
Bonesaw
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2008, 02:18:48 PM »

I have been dinking around on GM since I started this thread, I don't get what you're all complaining to me about.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2008, 02:42:59 PM »

I have been dinking around on GM since I started this thread, I don't get what you're all complaining to me about.

I'll complain about THIS THEN.... GM makes the bottom left corner of a sprite the transparent color, I mean, what kind of dick program does that?
Bonesaw
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2008, 02:51:28 PM »

Apparently a bad one.
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2008, 02:52:40 AM »

I'll complain about THIS THEN.... GM makes the bottom left corner of a sprite the transparent color, I mean, what kind of dick program does that?

I think you can disable that in some advanced options shenanigan.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2008, 05:48:41 PM »

I think you can disable that in some advanced options shenanigan.

You can untick the "Transparent" box in the sprite options (double click on the sprite in the left panel) which turns off transparency altogether. Or you could just add another row of pixels in the transparent colour.
It's really not that hard.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2008, 08:48:45 PM »

Hello, Bonesaw.

Have you made a game yet?  I want to see your version of Catch the Clown.  Produce it now, for my pleasure.

(Do they still include Catch the Clown as a GM tutorial?)

tweet tweet @j_younger
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2008, 09:30:43 PM »

Hello, Bonesaw.

Have you made a game yet?  I want to see your version of Catch the Clown.  Produce it now, for my pleasure.

(Do they still include Catch the Clown as a GM tutorial?)
My version of Catch the Clown made sure the clown only spawned near the center, and it could only hit the wall 10 times or you lose. Every time you clicked it, it would go a little bit faster.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic