Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:25:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTower of the Gorillion
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Tower of the Gorillion  (Read 15246 times)
brownkidd
TIGBaby

Founder/Editor-at-large for Albotas.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »

Digging this a lot. I especially like how clever the puzzles are without being too frustrating or stupidly easy. Props.
tiopalada
Level 0

Omae wa mou shindeiru.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 03:16:15 AM »

You know whats make me sad about Tower of Gorillion? The comments on Greenlight. I'm quite sure the commenters (some of them) are from the same species as youtube commenters, it almost makes me sad. Nonetheless, good job so far. It is not my kind of game, I'm not much into platformers, but I really dig the art style. I hope that, in the future, you can deliver us more games with such quality :D  Also, any plans on porting to the "new" platforms such as OUYA?
circuiton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 07:35:07 AM »

Yeaa, I take the comments with a grain of salt. Most of them are positive anyway, fortunately.

I haven't looked into OUYA specifically, but we're looking at possibly putting it on iOS and Android already, so I don't think OUYA is out of the question since it runs on Android, right? I don't know much about it, but I am open to putting it onto as many platforms as possible.

DannyCalleri
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 01:40:15 PM »

The pixel art is wonderful, looking forward to play this game Smiley Wink

Danny Calleri - Twitter
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 02:18:06 PM »

lighter stuff should be on the foreground, darker one in the background, it's not me saying that but basic color theory, besides that and the annoying giant fox right at the beginning of the game, looks like fun

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
DannyCalleri
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »

lighter stuff should be on the foreground, darker one in the background, it's not me saying that but basic color theory, besides that and the annoying giant fox right at the beginning of the game, looks like fun

I believe that they wanted to create a lighting effect as if the moon was pointing towards the player, so most of the objects in the background are lit in a strange way, while the foreground is a bit more dark.
It's a sort of "silhouette effect". Even if I think that (if you wanted to obtain this effect) the cloud at the beginning should be placed in reverse order: the darkest on front, the lighter on the back.

Danny Calleri - Twitter
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 02:33:10 PM »

the fact is: in the screenshots it's right, in the current demo is wrong Smiley

Also shadows casted from the foreground tiles on the background ones could help a lot

circuiton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 02:34:36 PM »

I agree with you, Eclipse.

We tried putting the darker tiles in the foreground after hearing some feedback, but since the latest public version we've reverted it to light tiles in the front and dark tiles in the back. Instead, we just took pure black out of the tiles altogether, and adjusted the colour slightly.

DannyCalleri
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 02:36:48 PM »

the fact is: in the screenshots it's right, in the current demo is wrong Smiley

Also shadows casted from the foreground tiles on the background ones could help a lot

Yep  Ninja
Played it and I think that is at times a little confusing... maybe some shadows will help!

Danny Calleri - Twitter
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »

I agree with you, Eclipse.

We tried putting the darker tiles in the foreground after hearing some feedback, but since the latest public version we've reverted it to light tiles in the front and dark tiles in the back. Instead, we just took pure black out of the tiles altogether, and adjusted the colour slightly.

awesome! and yes, pure black probably was making the contrast too high and that helped to the confusion, general rule is: background tiles needs to be a color more similar to the sky than the foreground ones, this way you can also achieve a nice "fog" effect :3

Rock on!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

circuiton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 08:06:17 PM »

Screenshot Saturday update:

New tutorial level:

Updated some tiles and colours in Ruins:

Updated tiles in Desert, and sort of explanation of how the Desert's gimmick works.

When one player moves, his whole layer scrolls with him, but does not affect the other player.

This means that blocks that interact with both layers can be seen twice:

Update to the demo version will go up soon too, with updated tiles, slightly updated layout, and with slightly closer to true fullscreen mode (will detect if your screen is big enough for 3x or 4x zoom and adjust accordingly).

circuiton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »

Which of these two looks better?

Or, what about this? Entertaining the idea of having the background layer tiles with blacked out center to make it completely and totally unmistakable.

Any opinions? I've been staring at this game for so long I can't tell what's confusing and what isn't anymore. It's second-nature to me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:05:54 PM by circuiton » Logged

rickardwestman
Level 1

--- Visiontrick Media --- P A V I L I O N

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 02:11:56 PM »

Hey man. I really like the gameplay idea behind the desert world. Kind of reminds me of the mindset of Braid where each world has a specific rule/law of nature. If you haven't listened to the Jonathan Blow talk on Braid I would strongly recommend it.

Otherwise. I am sorry for butchering your graphics, but it felt easier to show it than explain it. Maybe you have tried it something similar to what I have done. I basically just chose two different colors for the levels and then had the more saturated colours in the foreground. Maybe this test could give you a fresh view or some good ideas.

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
circuiton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »

Hey man. I really like the gameplay idea behind the desert world. Kind of reminds me of the mindset of Braid where each world has a specific rule/law of nature. If you haven't listened to the Jonathan Blow talk on Braid I would strongly recommend it.

Otherwise. I am sorry for butchering your graphics, but it felt easier to show it than explain it. Maybe you have tried it something similar to what I have done. I basically just chose two different colors for the levels and then had the more saturated colours in the foreground. Maybe this test could give you a fresh view or some good ideas.

I guess it is a bit like Braid in that each world has its own mechanic, but I don't know if it's quite as extreme as some of Braid's.

Your edit with the much more strongly contrasting colours looks pretty cool actually. Maybe it's time to experiment with each level not being quite so monochromatic.

Thanks!

editmode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 08:41:18 PM »

The switching mechanic is cool, but when I'm playing as Gewalt I still find myself aiming for the foreground Grimmer platforms when jumping. That's a sticky point with this mechanic, as players have to retrain their brains to aim for the background elements when playing as Gewalt. Then when I switch back to Grimmer, my first jump is to the background layer sometimes. There's a bit of spatial reasoning gymnastics going on which creates friction, at least for me.

Here's an idea to mitigate that:

What about when you switch to Gewalt, the foreground elements (the Grimmer layer) change tiles to the background set, and the background tileset switches to the foreground tile set, so the player is always aiming for the foreground elements when platforming. This could also prove confusing, but maybe worth a shot.

UFO Dad coming soon!
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 09:13:17 PM »

Good idea but it eliminates the option of 2-player mode.

editmode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 10:26:18 PM »

Good idea but it eliminates the option of 2-player mode.

Fair enough, I didn't see that there was a two player option.

Another thing, and this is very minor right now - Grimmer's idle pose doesn't fit the sword swinging anim, he's leaning back too much in the former, his upper body should be leaning forward more. Shifting his upper body, or even just his head a few pixels over would help with this.

Looking forward to seeing how this continues to develop, good work.

UFO Dad coming soon!
circuiton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 08:13:51 AM »

We decided to use a sort of blacked-out background layer to both make it much more obvious and feel like Gewalt is on the back-side of the ruins.

What do you guys think?

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 08:25:46 AM »

What do the ladders look like? Blocks? Looks good, but I think the background layer in that example could use a little more green or something to separate it hue-wise.

RetsamugA
Level 0

indie game developer agumaster-games.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 10:02:19 AM »

I LOVE THIS GAME! the retro graphics are really nice, and the gameplay is great

world is full of invisible beautiful things
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic