Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:11:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTower of the Gorillion
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Tower of the Gorillion  (Read 15179 times)
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 11:16:49 AM »

Looks amazing! Keep up the good work! I was surprised to see you switch from the gameboy palette but the color is looking amazing.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 11:21:52 AM »

whats with the girrafes?

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2016, 01:39:21 PM »

Hmmmm....no updates? I was really looking forward to this.

circuiton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2016, 12:11:51 AM »

Hmmmm....no updates? I was really looking forward to this.

Oh boy. It didn't take long before I stopped updating this post, huh.
I'm pretty bad at social media stuff. My twitter is effectively dead, too.

It's really cool that there's still at least one person out there though who'd like to see this project finished though, so thank you indeed my dear sir.

Tower of the Gorillion is not abandoned nor is it dead, but it is plodding along more slowly than I am happy to admit.
But its production has stalled for a number of reasons (some of them just excuses).

We had completed about 70% of the planned gameplay content and then gotten greenlit on steam (back when greenlight first came out and it wasn't just shovelware as far as the eye can see) but it was then that we truly understood Flash had to be abandoned. Not wanting to rewrite from scratch (nor having any other languages in my repertoire to easily turn to) we tried AIR and some other hacky solutions that were fruitless, while slowing down and not being sure what to do.
At the same time as this was happening in 2013, I finished university, moved to Japan, and started working.

At some point, I found Haxe and HaxeFlixel, and a path to complete the game became clear. I began porting the game to Haxe. At this point, much of the game's engine and mechanics have been ported over, and the game runs much more smoothly than it ever had a chance of in Flash. Unfortunately, the map files we had made for Flash were no longer usable, which was a rather unpleasant turn of events.

The biggest snags could probably be avoided if I would sit down and more properly learn the fundamentals of coding in general - I'm very much an amateur - and occasional bugs or problems that lacked an obvious solution ended up with me banging my head against the wall until I brute forced an inelegant solution or gave up for a time and put the game aside until I had the patience to dig back in.

Now, though, coming off the heels of just having participated in the 2016 Toronto game jam (TOJam), I've been picking up the threads again after a bit of a hiatus, and getting back to work. Your post was shockingly timely, and I'll take it as some kind of sign.

I'll tidy it up a little for photos, and then try once again to keep on top of keeping anyone who's interested in the loop.

In the blank-looking mechanics test room with an experimental redesign on one of them (not sure how I feel about it), but in any case still alive!

Thanks for your support, and boy oh boy, for your patience, and for not forgetting this game exists.

absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2016, 01:21:35 PM »

Sweeeet...glad I could be of strange serendipitous help. Let's see some more of those cool, terrifying Gorillions! A game like yours doesn't need a a particularly in depth narrative explanation, but I'm excited to see how you pull the elements together for the player.

Good luck, man  Beer!
Show us your passion and such.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic