Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:13:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralRIP MSN Messenger
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: RIP MSN Messenger  (Read 5023 times)
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 02:44:52 AM »

People still use IMs?

only people with friends  Ninja

(though yeah, you have stuff like whatsapp/kik/facebook these days)
CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 03:01:28 AM »

guess you will all have to switch to yahoo! messenger
see you there friends
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 05:04:47 AM »

People still use IMs?

only people with friends  Ninja

(though yeah, you have stuff like whatsapp/kik/facebook these days)
Haha I just call people I wanna talk to. If its someone over the Internet I'll just email them. I don't really understand where MSN fits in. I had it for a while and barely used it. I'd rather text or call.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 06:46:17 AM »

Haha I just call people I wanna talk to. If its someone over the Internet I'll just email them. I don't really understand where MSN fits in. I had it for a while and barely used it. I'd rather text or call.

Thing is I can barely do anything else if I'm talking on the phone, and I definitely wouldn't bother calling someone to say just three words or whatever. Texting and mailing has a long response time, plus texting isn't free for me or for my friends.

When using IM on the other hand, I can simultaneously read, write, watch videos, play games or whatever. I can just send someone a link to see, even if they are not there at the moment but I can also have a long conversation. If I need to take a dump, make dinner or whatever I can just say I will be right back and then we can continue the conversation. If we run out of topics we can just stop talking until we have something else to say without it being awkward, even if we won't be writing anything for the next 30 minutes or ever 3 days.

Basically it gives me the most freedom of communication and is free.

impulse9
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 07:50:12 AM »

Everything sucks, IRC is best.  Ninja
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 09:20:29 AM »

Thing is I can barely do anything else if I'm talking on the phone, and I definitely wouldn't bother calling someone to say just three words or whatever. Texting and mailing has a long response time, plus texting isn't free for me or for my friends.

When using IM on the other hand, I can simultaneously read, write, watch videos, play games or whatever. I can just send someone a link to see, even if they are not there at the moment but I can also have a long conversation. If I need to take a dump, make dinner or whatever I can just say I will be right back and then we can continue the conversation. If we run out of topics we can just stop talking until we have something else to say without it being awkward, even if we won't be writing anything for the next 30 minutes or ever 3 days.

While that is true I find that it hampers my face to face communication skills. If I am used to being able to just stop talking when we run out of topics I'm gonna have problems carrying a conversation when I meet people in real life. Also I find if I talk to people in person and then go home and IM them all night, seeing them isn't really a big deal cause I already know everything that happened to them. It makes me look forward to face-to-face visits less.

Maybe it's just me but I think it has a negative impact on my social skills so I try to avoid it.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 09:53:24 AM »

You are probably right as I can't carry a chit-chat conversation for shit and usually don't have that much to talk about with friends when we meet face to face Tongue

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 03:06:15 PM »

While that is true I find that it hampers my face to face communication skills. If I am used to being able to just stop talking when we run out of topics I'm gonna have problems carrying a conversation when I meet people in real life. Also I find if I talk to people in person and then go home and IM them all night, seeing them isn't really a big deal cause I already know everything that happened to them. It makes me look forward to face-to-face visits less.

Maybe it's just me but I think it has a negative impact on my social skills so I try to avoid it.

wouldn't skype improve your face to face communication skills more than phone calls would? because with skype you actually *see* their face and all, and they see yours

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 05:13:38 PM »

wouldn't skype improve your face to face communication skills more than phone calls would? because with skype you actually *see* their face and all, and they see yours

I think that's true to a certain extent and I would actually go as far as to say video chat is more socially demanding than face to face conversations. You are always talking face to face and generally you aren't doing something together. When you meet someone to hang out you usually do an activity together, you don't sit across from each other and just talk. Over Skype close to 100% of their attention is on you and vice versa. I would Skype all the time but almost none of my friends have Skype and you can't really Skype on the go so it's not as accessible as phone calls.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 08:13:21 PM »

dont need 100% theres a little float-window and you can do two things at a time
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 08:47:59 PM »

Yeah I know but you can't really do things together over Skype and it's weird being on video chat while you are both doing other things.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »

i'm not sure but you can probably also use skype over mobile smartphones? that way you can be mobile as you skype

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 09:01:48 PM »

Skype annoys me a little in that sense. Even if my webcam is minimized, I'd get people asking stuff like "what are you doing", "what are you looking at". And it's a bandwidth hog.

IMO, texting/whatsapp does work better than IM these days. Downside is that sometimes I don't want certain people texting me, like weird internet people, so IMs filter them out.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 09:14:40 PM »

i'm not sure but you can probably also use skype over mobile smartphones? that way you can be mobile as you skype
They do have apps but honestly how practical is that? You can't video chat with someone will you're walking somewhere. Also at least where I live, mobile network speeds and data caps are too low to be practical for that.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 01:23:40 AM »

cpu memory

I hope you don't mind me asking what is cpu memory? Smiley

Skype is excellent for video chats even on mobile networks, at least around here. Not that great for general chatting but it's okay. Haven't really used MSN in ages. Mostly we use it at work to quickly send links and whatnot.

impulse9
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 03:37:00 AM »

what is cpu memory? Smiley

L1 cache perhaps? Ninja
pathfinder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »

There is life back to MSN, you can use a software called MSN Reviver to recover it to working, i have used MSN past 2 months successfully Tongue and refuse to change full time to skype Tongue hate that crap. just google MSN Reviver and you can find it.
Conker534
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2013, 09:11:27 PM »

i miss the drawing function of msn the most
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 11:43:57 PM »

I miss Turkish gentlemen offering to show their dicks on webcam.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 12:05:20 AM »

My hotmail address must've sounded like a girl who wants to see dicks on webcam.

It didn't.

That thing was a nuisance around here in Estonia. Almost every girl, but guys also, got random contact requests and offers from creeps mainly from Turkey (sorry if there are turks around here) almost every day. If you were silly enough to accept or just didn't know better, a lot of pre-teen girls for example ... I mean 12 year old girls, then they would start the webcam and start jacking off or whatever. What sick fucks do that?!

I'm glad MSN is gone.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic