Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 03:02:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDimension Nexus Adventures by Heresy Game Design
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Dimension Nexus Adventures by Heresy Game Design  (Read 2697 times)
kurtkz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 08:58:55 AM »

Sweet baby cheeses, that's a lot of documents Smiley It's a step in the right direction though by having them in the OP. I'll give them a read over the next week.

Any chance of getting some of your old screenshots and videos up (with disclaimers of course)?
Kaelas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »

Were actually getting close to the new base planets engine. Our one problem slowing us down is we no longer have someone for procedural coding. I'll see about getting one linked later if we don't get over our current hurdles with it right now. Our reason for puling them to begin with basically was we purchased a baseline planetary code, which we purchased off a developers website. It came with no EULA, or licence of any sort, no copyright or patent on file. So we gave full credit, and on one video, after replacing over 50% of the person's code we wrote his engine was being used on the comment text, but stated its the engine were working on. Which was accurate, but he decided to report us for plagiarism. While the response we got from youtube was them stating he didn't have grounds to state that, we decided to move completely from his engine. Its delayed us a few weeks in development where instead of working with his base code since we didn't have a procedural planets system yet. Meaning we could of worked on the features of the game and started showing them off. Now we need to work on planets earlier than we wanted during concept.

We found two others, but they were honest with us that the first one didn't support large enough planets for what we wanted, the second one was incompatible with Unity.
bitMasquerade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 03:33:44 PM »

Alright,

I may have been confused since you had a ton of video interviews on the site, but none from any programmers.

I was also under the impression that this was just starting out, with nothing substantial done yet, since there is nothing shown. Thats why I thought that your spec was so out of whack; it sounds like you threw everything and the kitchen sink into it before you even had anything down; a dream project.

By voxel, i meant a volumetric surface; it doesn't have to be cubic, it could be hermite voxels (see http://procworld.blogspot.ca/). What you are describing is a heightmap wrapped around a sphere, which seems much more reasonable. I am still a little confused since you said there would be mining. Are you able to make tunnels under the ground, or just affect surface height?

Also, you have a lot of text, but no images. Can't you give us some examples of the modelling you've been doing at the very least? (player models, enemies, textures, whatever).

You seem pretty confident in what you are doing, and I hope you do well
Kaelas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »

Yea, we havn't finished all the interviews as our meet and greet location went away and havn't been able to tape the rest. We did have video but as mentioned before, we removed that person's code and do not wish to even mention what or who the code was from.

And yes, it is a heightmap wrapped around a sphere using projecttosphere using 6 terrains. We've modified the terrainmapping to allow you to make tunnels as well as surface height. Basically we turned the terrain into a model with multiple terrain index. That way we can note where stone/etc is underground for when you dig, or place something on top.

There is a model on the front page. Its the head of our avian race. It is being done by a new all-rounder we got. He does Unity 4.0 coding, as well as modeling. He's also 16 years old, and that head was only a few hours of work so far. We've been very impressed by him so we released his model picture first.

Our problems right now are that we need to get onboard a procedural programmer, and shader/lod programmer. Both of which are positions that you normally don't get without pay up front. So our new planetary engine is being developed by two coders who have never used procedural anything before. There features coders for server end. That's our main delay right now, and why we have no video/screenshots yet, and are in concept.

Once planets are in again, pretty much all the work we've done will fall into place very quickly. I'm talking to a few investors right now who are very interested in the project so you may hear allot more from us soon video wise.
kurtkz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 09:59:23 PM »

Aaah, that explains the lack of video. Still, if you're ever in a position to name and shame... Wink
Kaelas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 10:28:03 PM »

Yea, our problem is the fact that to do anything on it, he's from a different country. Having dealt with international law before I wouldn't even spend the money on a CnD order on the stuff he posted.

What's funny is his last thing he says to us is to feel free to use the code. Its not like he has a choice, we gave him 7 days to remit funds. So we could use it if we wanted.
Rodifan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 12:23:19 PM »

Any screenshots of actual gameplay? I am very much so anticipating.

[EDIT] Apologies, I'm reading at this moment.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 09:54:42 AM »

After reading some of the documents, I feel it's still not nearly fleshed out enough to start working on.  Still reads very rough, with very few details filled in.  I find it hard to believe the concept for this has been in development for years and yet all you've got is a bunch of very rough, incomplete drafts.
Kaelas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 10:18:10 AM »

The drafts are being made for people to look at and were made recently. However the person writing them (me) also has to deal with coding on the game, meetings, talking to potential investors, answering forum posts, organizing our teams, and a few other things. I'm currently doing way more than just creative lead or ceo as is, and in the process of moving. If you feel I should be able to make hundreds of pages of documents faster, can I borrow your time machine to do it?
Kaelas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »

We've been hosting a meet and greet each Sunday, as were now with IGDA and some of us are volunteering with them we changed the format and wanted to let everyone know. We also have a space for anyone to show off what they are working on. You can send me a video at [email protected] to have it shown or come in person.

http://heresygd.eventbrite.com/

7pm - 7:30pm Networking
    Meet each other, exchange contacts
7:30pm - 8pm Game Presenations
    Anyone wanting to present something they are working on can show it on the big screen
8pm - 8:30pm Discussion
    Talking about the weekly discussion
8:30pm - 9pm Meet and Greet
    Meet the Heresy Game Design team and find out more about Dimension Nexus Adventures
9pm-12pm Rockband
    Time to rock out!
http://www.facebook.com/groups/rockbottomrockband

This week our discussion topic is:

Innovative Features in Gaming

In the past the game industry was a space race of who could develop the next best feature. Nowadays you see that a lot is cookie cutter, one developer we've talked to stated "to make a game, find the features that work good for you and copy them". Time to discuss how you can make new features without breaking your time budget.

To those interested in the Donation Tickets:
Donation Tickets support us as well as we will use a percentage to start doing prizes during Rockband. Even though we are not getting 100% of the donations, your full donation will be counted towards our crowdfunding reward levels available on our discussions area.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/116567911/828927580777959311/

Don't forget to check us out on Steam Greenlight Concepts at:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=116567911
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic