Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:03:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrossCode - Devlog | Latest: Steam 0.4 Release
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: CrossCode - Devlog | Latest: Steam 0.4 Release  (Read 16261 times)
Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 01:35:21 PM »

Can't wait to play the tech demo with my gamepad!
Just a quick question: how many people are on the team, and what they do?

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »

Thoughts on the tech demo
  . hitting 4 things fun
  . hitting the next 8 boring. there are more interesting ways to teach the player mechanics.
  . this is actually pretty good
  . the arrows that indicate spots to jump at look like part of the terrain. they should stick out more. there should be a separation between world and tutorial hints.
  . i feel like the delay on the aim stabilization is too long. I imagine it makes more sense later, but at the beginning it feels unnecessary. though this is just an impression. I have no idea how other people feel.
  . nice loading anim.
  . overhead fixtures are distracting. they can be faded, or light can hit them differently so that they are obviously above me.
  . the robot that only counter shoots should be visually different from the others. just a small color change is okay.

The first real battle introduces 4 things: death, dodging, stuns, and escaping from danger (onto the shelves). Too much! Beyond that the battle is hard. Easy, medium, hard, right away. Split this into two encounters, with some kind of spacer in between.
  . lot of fun though. very satisfying. interesting maneuvering while hunting down the red enemy.

Very good!

Final thoughts on the aim delay... it still feels too slow, especially since it is like the default shot. You need it for a lot of things. ... Though I'm not sure I would change it. You've made a "feel" decision and I can't argue with that.

I would also add some minor momentum to the girl. The shooting plays rhythmically, but the movement plays with twitch. There could be more harmony there. (I am not sure about this).

edit: I assume the experience is very different with a gamepad.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:03:12 PM by Graham. » Logged
R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 03:08:42 AM »

Thecoolestnerdguy
Just a bit more then a month and you can do it :D

edit: oh dang it! Totally missed your question ._. We have a team with 2 Programmers, 2 Graphic Artists, 1 Composer and 1 doing a lot of sounds. Also we have a friend which helps us a lot on decisions for the story, names and general ideas we come up with.
This was the second time I missed a post from you, I'm really sorry xD

@Graham
Wow thanks for the awesome feedback! What you mention is similar to the things other people found nice/odd in the game, so a lot was already changed Smiley

The first real Demo (not just a TechDemo) will feature more then just shooting balls. It's a major mechanic but we definitively want to add more so it does not get too boring as you said!

You're right, the arrows might seem strange but actually based on the plot it makes sense that they are part of the map. But I like the idea that they could pop up if you close to a box in the first tutorial levels compared to simple map arrows.

What exactly do you referring to when saying: "[...] the aim stabilization is too long"? Do mean if you let go of the mouse button? Or after evading via the right mouse button? The latter was already changed so both the dashing and aim stabilization is easier and more useful.

You mean the pipes with the overhead fixtures? And the parts of the container when you behind them? Mh... This is a nice idea. We hoped that the player gets the hang on the 3D environment when playing it. We need to have a look at it (Could be hard to implement :D).

We have new graphics for the counter bot now! We got a lot feedback here and it was clear that the old robot was way to distracting (Maybe we will show it in the next weekly.) xD

Yepp we already plan to completely overhaul the tutorial for the real Demo. We probably won't change it for the TechDemo++ tho... We also want to make sure the player understands that the charged ball can be used to cancel enemy attacks (You can cancel normal attacks now easier too). So there will be some changes to split the information up for sure!

As said before aiming should feel way better in the new TechDemo++. We wanted to give the player a kinda "fadt paced"-feeling to it but the camera and the aiming loss when turning around to fast was a bit to much so we tweaked it (eg. the camera now only moves when you aim at the edges of the game window, feels much less distracting).

Maybe with the changes mentioned the momentum feels different now. We will add more mechanics like defending and close-range combat so we have more action and ideally it should just feel awesome to run around, shooting balls, bashing enemies and such Smiley

With the gamepad especially aiming is a little more difficult (nothing beats the mouse at precision). But you can run around in 360° which is a good trade off. Also we added a "shoot" button rather the releasing a button so you now push/hold the right shoulder button to shoot.

Again, thanks for the great feedback! Especially your thoughts on momentum, visuals and gameplay.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:57:05 AM by R.D. » Logged

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 03:37:40 AM »

Wow, thanks for the reply. You are very accepting of criticism.

I'll clarify two thoughts. By aim stabilization I meant how long it takes for a charged shot to become charged. Though I'm not entirely certain shortening is best.... The delay just felt forced often enough. There are a lot of approaches to fix that. It is also not a huge thing.

Momentum is tricky. When I was fighting the final enemies, I felt the best strategy was lining up and nailing a charging guy, to stun him and get the bonus damage. This meant a very flow-like movement, moving around the room towards the open spaces, preparing for an escape if I miss, and lining up a shot. However, my char is jerky, very responsive. When I am aiming the best thing to do is move in arcs, to line up shots evenly. But the controls are twitch. That made me feel conflicted.

Also, small maneuvers don't help you much. If you are close to a charging enemy, he is going to get you. To avoid him you need to: dodge, or already be moving away. The twitch plays a small role. It feels like the odd man out. When you add momentum you give the player one more thing to think about. This adds depth. But also, it contextualizes the player's actions. It helps punctuate all of his actions, allowing you to further control how he feels.

I don't think twitch + momentum shooting is inherently bad. I think this is a good combo, and interesting. But the particular implementation you have feels a little undecided about what the purpose of each element is. The momentum seems to be the stronger force, so I recommended having a little momentum everywhere.

Also, the stun of your char after firing a charged shot feels jerky. I like lining up a shot, but losing movement control for a half second after firing felt unnatural. Having a consequence for firing a big shot is interesting, but maybe this consequence could be different? Adjusting momentum in a strange way, instead of just a stall? You could increase the player's options by making the gameplay in such moments different, instead of removing the options he has.

But your game is very good regardless. Thank you for being awesome.
R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:40 AM »

Smiley Thank you! Criticism is very important to use since it helps us making the game better.

The charged ball should always have some time until you can use. Since it will be used to cancel/stun an enemy there should be a small trade-off. But we plan to give the player the possibility to equip items or use a skill to shorten that time. Maybe there will be another trade-off if you use an item or a skill so you can not overpower yourself to much.

Ah yeah I see what you mean! Mh... This is indeed a problem with the hardware. The goal is always that you can aim while moving around. So we can't use the mouse for movement. It's hard to get around it without introducing to much new keys or complex controls I think. We wanted tight controls that also allow precise positioning of the character (important for certain puzzles), thus the slower movement during aiming. It's definitely a thing that is a bit strange and it might takes a while to get used to it. Do you maybe have an idea how this could be resolved?

That is right and also the reason why there will be close-combat later. close-combat will also hit multiple enemies and can be used to push opponents away or just dealing high damage. I see that it's a problem that while the enemies move around freely you a kinda forced in an 8-Way movement.

Really interesting thoughts. Do be honest I never thought about it that much but it sure is important to give the player more feeling towards the controls. It's funny how the Gamepad resolves this problem because we have 2 sticks to use Smiley

Wow! You're right Shocked There is a delay where you can't even move the character. We have tweaked that now and it play so much better, thanks for that! Now you don't need to animation-cancel it with a evade/dash. Pretty awesome find. Gentleman

Thanks, and thanks for being awesome with feedback!

@Thecoolestnerdguy
Oh dang it! Totally missed your question ._. We have a team with 2 Programmers, 2 Graphic Artists, 1 Composer and 1 doing a lot of sounds. Also we have a friend which helps us a lot on decisions for the story, names and general ideas we come up with.

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »

@Thecoolestnerdguy
Oh dang it! Totally missed your question ._. We have a team with 2 Programmers, 2 Graphic Artists, 1 Composer and 1 doing a lot of sounds. Also we have a friend which helps us a lot on decisions for the story, names and general ideas we come up with.

Oh, no problem!  Gentleman  I bet you will not miss the next (hopefully)  Tongue

This game is getting me very excited, since I love html5!

R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 07:53:13 AM »

@thecoolestnerdguy
We too love HTML5 Smiley

@Topic
We have a new blog post for you! This time we talk a bit about the path-finding (We even got some pictures this time :D) and about a new system we call "GameAddon":
Weekly Update #5 Path-Finding and GameAddon
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:58:41 AM by R.D. » Logged

R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »

Hello there!

This week we have a technical post about how we integrated the Gamepad API! Since we are still packed with work/study we wanted to give you something to read

Check it out: Link

RageKit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 04:59:34 PM »

That's quite impressive ! i really like the shoot system !
That run really well, that's only canvas rendering ?

There's just a small problem : i'm on an AZERTY keyboard and keys are mismapped.

Other than that, kudos.
R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 03:45:57 PM »

Hello Smiley

Yes this is only canvas rendering. No WebGL!

Ah yes, we are aware of this problem and we want to add player based mapping later on. Maybe we could look into it and we might give players with AZERTY keyboard a correct layout for the TechDemo++. No promises (it's hard to figure out which keyboard the player uses).

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 02:52:17 AM »

Hello Smiley

Yes this is only canvas rendering. No WebGL!

Impact doesn't have support for webgl rendering? I though it had...

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 03:10:53 AM »

Plays nicely. Just don't treat the player like an asshole.. tutorial comments like:

"you can only hit the thing from the same height"
"you can break these blocks by shooting at them"

..don't need to be said.

Ant
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 03:32:06 AM »

Yeah I think definitely some of the later puzzle stuff, like having to get the robots to shoot the box shouldn't be revealed since it somewhat spoils the fun. For the earlier stuff like breaking boxes and shooting stuff on your level they could do with just being better shown really since they aren't immediately obvious. So for example, early on you could strewn a few smaller boxes that explode with a single shot to show that some terrain is destructible before you get to the big crates.
R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 04:04:58 PM »

Thecoolestnerdguy
Nope there is no WebGL in impact. It just uses the Canvas2D API. Maybe one day we will see WebGL in impact.js. Dominic Szablewski is also the creator of Ejecta which basically makes your code work on native iOS.

Greg Sergeant
You say this and yet we got a lot of feedback with people you were thankful for the little pop-ups that helped them Smiley I understand what you mean tho and because of that we already have a plan how to solve this. So new gamers can get into the game while old players do not need to listen to any tutorial.

caiys
Yes there are some great ways to introduce game mechanics to the game and with the TechDemo we wanted to show you what we can do and how the system works (in general, there is doing to be a lot added). So all maps we have in the TechDemo will be replaced with different maps (or simply changed) for the first real demo.

R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 02:22:59 PM »

Hello there Smiley

With this weekly we want to start a small series of posts about the architecture of CrossCode.

You can read the Weekly here: Weekly Update #8

The Technical Post can be found here: Architecture of CrossCode #1

R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 01:54:04 PM »

Another Weekly arrived!

Weekly update #9 a bug in Chrome

2 Weeks until TechDemo++!

R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 02:46:51 PM »

Weekly Update #10

Link: Weekly Update #10

Things are getting hotter now were we moving closer to the TechDemo++. We fixed a lot of issues and added lots of sounds.

Next week a bigger post will follow and the first post will be updated!

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 03:58:39 PM »

This game is going to be great  Kiss
A great html5 game...
Oh man, this gives me  Tears of Joy
Shut up and take my  Hand Money Left

R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2013, 04:52:49 AM »

@Thecoolestnerdguy
Thanks for the great support Smiley

@Topic
Sadly we have some more or less bad news. Thanks to bad planning, sickness and Easter we have to postpone the TechDemo++ for one week.
This means we will release the TechDemo++ on Sunday, April 7th.

Check out this blog entry for more information and a new concept art for a new character!

Blog: TechDemo++ postponed to April 7th

R.D.
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 02:54:12 AM »

Weekly Report #11 Sorry, we’re late!

We summed up some of the changes made this week in this kinda late weekly!

Link: Click!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic