Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:35:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsENYO - Arcade ==! FREE ON STEAM !== [2D Action] v1.4
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: ENYO - Arcade ==! FREE ON STEAM !== [2D Action] v1.4  (Read 30007 times)
c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 06:43:31 AM »

It's more offensive because zombies aren't real, but the systemic objectification of women is. There is nothing inherently offensive about the naked human form, but it's tricky tread to ground and you've handled it poorly.  Your use of nudity is obviously designed to play into standard heterosexual white male fantasies, with no point other than titillation.  And honestly, we have enough heterosexual white male power fantasies floating around.

I haven't handled anything yet, this is work in progress and I came here for feedback. I am working on it.

The sex theme is your interpretation, and I think that is sad, if the only thing that comes to mind when seeing a naked human is sexuality be that hetero or any other pansexuality. That is a BIG sign that I am going down the right direction. I want to get my message right and therefore I need some input on how people react to it.

I think about being exposed, vulnerability and a battle between machine and flesh for a start. But I have taken notice of my lack in communication in the image. I will put some extra effort into the game to set that message right.

I don't want to fall into cheap exploitation. It's a fine line and I am still new to public relations.

And by the way Zombies are based on an Haitian ritual to punish their delinquents, tricking them into believing that they have died and now have to serve as slaves... call that inhuman?!

Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »

Fact of the matter is, you have a bunch of people here giving you feedback saying put cloths on the girl. Weather you do so is your choose, but people WILL NOT buy your game when seeing that. It is a turn of for some people to your game. Also for most of the female population. Other than that, good luck.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 01:41:21 PM »

From the trailer the player's acceleration and top speed seem kind of wonky.  Takes too long to reach top speed and then it's too easy to run into something.
c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 02:04:04 PM »

From the trailer the player's acceleration and top speed seem kind of wonky.  Takes too long to reach top speed and then it's too easy to run into something.

I've been reworking some of the level flow, but I think the movement speed feels nice...

Sexy character is the least of the problems in this game really... If anything the over the topness of the character is not emphasized enough (also why have an elaborate character design and then present it as a stick figure ingame?) and the enemies in the trailer look super impractical to deal with because of the… What am I saying, nevermind me. Carry on guys.

I would like to hear what you meant... gimme all you got! And The "stick figure" was result of me liking the way the rendered pixels move in the smallest recognisable fashion... I may explain the Hi res model I showed was done about 4 years ago (and is not the one you see ingame), it was a portfolio piece for my job as 3D artist, after choosing to make my own games I thought - why not make a game with/about her...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:01:50 PM by c023-DeV » Logged

Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 02:59:59 PM »

Did you get many jobs with that portfolio?
c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 03:07:49 PM »

What do you think? I got my best jobs when I took her panties off. Like I said artists aren't so easily offended by that. Anatomy is a MUST have in any character portfolio Wink

[edit] And I also have a couple of allmost naked men too (one of them is a sculpture of Neptune, in old Greece all sculptures were mostly naked with just a piece of cloth btw) you can have a look when my website is back up so you don't have to feel left out Wink

heres some on the old webspace:
Neptune
Dominance War 3 Entry
UV Scary Skin
Naked Head

And Mr. Inside-Out here wishes you sweet dreams:

Dominance War 4
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:40:23 PM by c023-DeV » Logged

Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 05:18:24 PM »

What do you think? I got my best jobs when I took her panties off. Like I said artists aren't so easily offended by that. Anatomy is a MUST have in any character portfolio Wink

[edit] And I also have a couple of allmost naked men too (one of them is a sculpture of Neptune, in old Greece all sculptures were mostly naked with just a piece of cloth btw) you can have a look when my website is back up so you don't have to feel left out Wink

heres some on the old webspace:
Neptune
Dominance War 3 Entry
UV Scary Skin
Naked Head

And Mr. Inside-Out here wishes you sweet dreams:

Dominance War 4
Jobs in the gaming industry I mean.
c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »

Mostly I had to feed pigeons and guide them to strategic points to sabotage city infrastructure. But they said I would get a real job ... someday.

Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 05:56:44 PM »

Mostly I had to feed pigeons and guide them to strategic points to sabotage city infrastructure. But they said I would get a real job ... someday.
Right. Well look, people said your game shouldnt have a naked lady. You asked for some feedback- there it is. Other than that, I wont be playing your game regardless. Im done with this game, you, and your thread.
c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 04:06:37 AM »

Right. Well look, people said your game shouldnt have a naked lady. You asked for some feedback- there it is. Other than that, I wont be playing your game regardless. Im done with this game, you, and your thread.

And I must obey?

I admit I was wrong, I should have told you all along that this game is probbably not good for you.

Sorry for not managing your expectations right, I will work on that.

Now I only have to focus on making it cool again and not on changing the game to fit a popular demand. Call me what you want. Hopefully some day I will find a soul or two that like the game the way it will be or I just made a massive dumb load of crap.  Beer!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:25:56 AM by c023-DeV » Logged

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 07:06:42 AM »

Thanks a lot I'll try to explain:

Well I also happen to like the effect of "sub-pixel" movements or however it's called but you can't expect your players to say "oh right, four years have passed in between, that makes it fine then" Smiley If you like this effect maybe it'd work well if you gave her tons of frames of animation to really show it off.

That was just for here, I don't think I'll build in the Hi-Res model. And Yes she has a ton of animation... I am at about 360 frames right now and there is a lot more to come, so that was the idea, yes

In case this is just an "early trailer" case and right now that's the thing that can be shown maybe those running parts can be used as a background for the text or something, not as the main part of the trailer.

Yes it is an early trailer, there is a lot more (Vehicles, Upgradeing Character, weapons etc...) I intentionally keep the audience in the dark at this point, aside from spoiler reasons a lot is still subject to change. But "brawlerish" is in there Wink

The green (I assume) slime enemies are a bit undefined and unconnected with the world at the same time: they almost look like some abstract enemies from C64 - not a bad thing in itself by any means but doesn't go well with the rest of the setting which is very elaborate. At least they're easy to spot Smiley ...

Thanks, I will look into that further as well as the Top enemies... a freind told me the same, so I guess she will get an "upppercut" move too then.

My impression is that macro rhythm and contrasts (very detailed areas vs lighter areas; dark vs light, big vs small) are what needs to be worked on the most. For example (talking about graphics) the edges of solid areas are nicely outlined but there really is no need for all the walls to have excessive details that drag attention to themselves (like those pipes in the 5th screenshot on the Greenlight page), so you lose the always needed contrast etc etc.

Same: I will look into that.

One thing I did like is the flying animal / spaceship we can see through the window at 0:13, but why for only one milisecond? Same for that green terminal shortly afterwards, looks like I'll be able to log in that... but than you don't show what it's for ingame.

The Flying Bogie Fish will be a very fearsome enemy... kinda like the Big Daddys in Bioshock, You will panik when you hear it comming Wink ... and the terminal is a "log in..." you will get a quick introduction there that isn't finished yet.

...phew! Haha that's tons of stuff. It may sound like I really hate the game - not at all! I can see lots of work went into it and it's a real project so I'm just nitpicky!

By putting so much effort into talking about it I doubt you hate it, I greatly appreciate the clear feedback, so THANK YOU!

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 07:20:45 AM »

Hey man! I think your game looks rad, the in game art is SICK and way better than the stuff you linked from your portfolio -- you've grown as an artist and the game looks pretty baller.

I LOVE sexualized women in art, but also feminism, which can be tough. Let me give you my thoughts on your robo sexbot heroine:

I think the design is objectifying and bad, just like the rest of tigsource. But I don't think a half naked lady covered in roboparts is a bad idea! As is, the design looks pretty half-assed. She has white metal bits in completely arbitrary places (as long as they don't cover up the sexy bits), denim shorts, and an awkward stripper-strap going over her chest?

That's not how any sexy space lady I've ever met would dress, and so it smacks of objectification. If there's no real possible way to explain the function of her outfit except 'I was too lazy to come up with a cleverer way to show her tits', you're in trouble. So REDESIGN HER, but don't worry about showing skin -- worry about showing skin in a way that's also COOL, so she doesn't look like a piece of shit who's naked for our amusement.

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 07:33:11 AM »

Hey man! I think your game looks rad, the in game art is SICK and way better than the stuff you linked from your portfolio -- you've grown as an artist and the game looks pretty baller.

I LOVE sexualized women in art, but also feminism, which can be tough. Let me give you my thoughts on your robo sexbot heroine:

I think the design is objectifying and bad, just like the rest of tigsource. But I don't think a half naked lady covered in roboparts is a bad idea! As is, the design looks pretty half-assed. She has white metal bits in completely arbitrary places (as long as they don't cover up the sexy bits), denim shorts, and an awkward stripper-strap going over her chest?

That's not how any sexy space lady I've ever met would dress, and so it smacks of objectification. If there's no real possible way to explain the function of her outfit except 'I was too lazy to come up with a cleverer way to show her tits', you're in trouble. So REDESIGN HER, but don't worry about showing skin -- worry about showing skin in a way that's also COOL, so she doesn't look like a piece of shit who's naked for our amusement.

Thanks! Affirmative... I may add that this hasn't grown entirely out of my mind ... Look up "Massive Black - Noxismad" that was the original inspiration. Aside from not getting to close to that design - I will work on making her cooler and I have some ideas (it was just a ruff blocking out at that point, no final artwork). Cheers!

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 07:45:28 AM »

Ok, considering I was the first to speak about the skimpy clothing, I shall explain myself.

I am not taking sides here, nor hating your game just from the design of a character.

Mostly, I see skimpy clothing as an easy way to gather interest in a game, whether it's good of bad. But that is not the main issue.

My thing here is, if you have the girl knifing people around (assuming, then, that there's close quarters combat present in the game), there's not a plausible way to explain why her torso is mostly bare. Also, that's where most enemies would attack, so protecting the upper body is paramount for survival. Moving rapidly, her breasts would jump around out of the strip, maybe?

Also, I remembered almost immediately of this:

She needs a decent armor set. Something that covers the body. Look at taki, from Soul Calibur for a (in my opinion) good example.

I know you are better than that. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Yeah.
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 08:59:10 AM »

The thing with super skimpy clothing is that I get offended FIRST and then I try to find justifications - basically, I can't explain it.

The feminist view that I hold fits very well with the emotional reaction, but the gut feeling is just that I really really really don't want to stare at titillating butts when I'm doing other stuff. It's a bit as if someone's trying to tickle my dick when I'm relaxing to play video games I just go 'argh dude stop lay it off'

With that said, I'm impressed at your relentlessly positive attitude given the amount of pretty acidic feedback you've gotten - such attitude is rare on the internet, I commend that.

Also the game looks pretty rad, you know
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 09:27:51 AM »

Thanks! Affirmative... I may add that this hasn't grown entirely out of my mind ... Look up "Massive Black - Noxismad" that was the original inspiration. Aside from not getting to close to that design - I will work on making her cooler and I have some ideas (it was just a ruff blocking out at that point, no final artwork). Cheers!

For sure man! I really dont like the noxismad design either (I think it's half assed considering how good the designs in the rest of the illustration are) but it's still more functional than yours -- Which is understandable, i mean, the dude's a very experienced artist, but aim high! Note that at least the plating on the noxismad design follows some semblance of function -- running along muscular structure, and building from smaller to larger forms to distribute weight. I would dig around cghub for some broader sources of inspiration, though, if I were you. These aren't the same design theme as yours, but Wes Burt's female designs impress me a lot. They say a lot within the fiction -- even the skimpy ones say something about the way the woman in question chooses to dress herself, or the function or culture or SOMETHING.

Again though, I want to reiterate, I think the art in your game looks AWESOME -- which makes the poor design on that cover image all the more obvious.

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 10:21:57 AM »

Addicted

Thanks 2 y'all! I will do my best to make it better.

@catguy Looking at your work (that is lovely btw.) I must say that I am deeply flattered. Thanks! I will try to make the most out of it and I will come up to you for more advice and maybe a little overpaint.

For now I am exhausted a bit, and will go rest for a while, cya soon!  Yawn

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »

Yey, running and gunning 360° is built back in

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:46:43 AM by c023-DeV » Logged

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 10:45:13 AM »

That walk animation is really weird.
As much as I hate to say it, looks like one of the 'dance moves' out of the gangam style video.

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »

Yeah, heard that before, it's a sidestep, was supposed to make the backward firing more convincing, capoeira style.

Maybe I'll tweak it a bit... but imho it looks kinda stupid when she walks straight and twists the spine to fire backwards.

Any alternative suggestions?

Maybe I'll try a backpedal when the aim is backward ...

But at least its technically back in the game Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic