Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 04:16:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDiachron - Top down - Time twisting - Exploration shooter - (Formerly Zombygon)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Diachron - Top down - Time twisting - Exploration shooter - (Formerly Zombygon)  (Read 30688 times)
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2014, 10:25:08 AM »

New HUD design. Left hand, right hand, quick access bar and tooltips off to the corner. Trying to keep the boxes in a low poly style in line with the other UI's in the game.

Thoughts?

acatalept
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2014, 01:37:23 PM »

Really impressed with how this game is shaping up - great art style, and a lot of nice little details.

(My 2 cents regarding the GUI: the silver "frames" are distracting - maybe change those to a darker yellow/green than the GUI "backgrounds", more like the color of the inset frame shadows... or even forego the frames entirely?  But I'm a very minimal GUI person, so I'm biased ;)

Good luck, can't wait to try the finished product!

Beaulamb1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2014, 07:15:06 AM »

This looks incredible, keep up the good work!

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2014, 07:45:48 AM »

Thanks folks! Here's another shot from a bunker down below.

A lot of stuff in the past two weeks was full of spoilers so the devlog went on pause. Hopefully I'll have another episode this weekend with some technical aspects that we can share.

Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »

Hey! This looks really cool and is a cool idea. I'm getting tons of Time Commando flashbacks for some reason - which is definitely a good thing. Following.
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2014, 08:54:28 AM »

Thanks! Here's another shot of some underground areas in the works.

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2014, 10:13:01 AM »

I wasn't really happy with the end look of the HUD I designed last week. Here's a new take on the HUD. It's going in.

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2014, 06:19:18 PM »

Zombygon had been suffering from poor performance on slower machines and the culprit was really unclear. After doing some deeper investigation I found the depth of field, which is a Unity Pro post processing effect, was at the root of the problem.

Disabling it sent the game from a jittery 20-30FPS to a nice and smooth 60+. Further optimizations will include baking occlusion culling into the map and trying to get the trees to batch as they currently refuse to do so in our main scene.

Wish us luck.

ARRD-ART
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2014, 06:43:50 PM »

Wish us luck.

Luck is wished.

Looks like what Stellar Dawn was gonna be before Jagex like uh... left.
Really looking forward to this one!
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »

Thanks! Here's some clothing variations I did after re-configuring the UV maps on our character. He can now be a bit customizable.

ARRD-ART
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2014, 08:24:09 PM »

I'm pretty sure the one third from the left will die at some point.
Heaooahgahghaghao...
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2014, 01:17:36 PM »

Strangest bug today, I was applying some special effects to the main camera, paused the game to change a value, unpaused and this suddenly happened. Crotch Cam! It somehow zapped our main character off the ground and into the camera.

We've got big plans for the weekend. Next milestone for us is to get that arena working so that people can test the combat mechanics.

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2014, 06:42:50 AM »

Some skins for the enemies. I think we'll just randomly cycle these

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2014, 07:34:40 AM »

Someone brought to my attention that the dudes above look like basketball players Smiley I guess they may undergo some changes yet again because ... can't.. un-see... gah.

Working away at the main menu today. Here's the design. Time to implement it in-game. I guess the logo is changing to a gold colour as the RED we had initially was just sort of put together without reason and didn't really go with the way the HUD and GUI ended up heading.

acatalept
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2014, 07:23:29 PM »

Just wanted to comment that the new HUD/GUI is perfect - very Valve-esque (I mean that as a compliment ;).

Can't wait to play this!

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2014, 01:07:28 PM »

Thanks!!

Things are going well. We're working towards a playable for May 10th - The Bit Bazaar in Toronto. If anyone is around come try our game.

We have re-named the game. The game has changed since we started working on it 2 years ago and we felt that the zombie aspect of the title was not significant enough to classify our game as strictly a zombie game. The game has different enemy types now and some new mechanics which we'll talk more about down the road.

The real turning point for the project came thanks to consulting some folks. First I was lucky enough to get some time with a screen play writer who really helped me solidify the story and then we met with an experienced game dev who helped set us straight with our development approach.

Our GDD was always open ended throughout this process which meant we were constantly changing and adding things and the project kept growing. To some degree that is good because we are happy where this path has taken us, but this process could go on forever if we don't put a cap on the design process. We took the advice that was given, we halted development for a week and completed the entire GDD. Everything. Including time estimates for completion. It was probably the best thing we could have done for ourselves.

All of this lead us to change the name. Zombygon is gone. Introducing:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic