Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:03:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat's TIGS about? (formerly: indie consolidation at TIGS) solved
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: What's TIGS about? (formerly: indie consolidation at TIGS) solved  (Read 8993 times)
ChevyRay
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 02:26:43 AM »

Why must every other thread be an insipid navel-gazing examination of this community?
Yes.

Every other thread?  You exaggerate, I think: this is the only such one I can spot that's active at the moment.
It was hyperbole.
Renton
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 02:28:02 AM »

Both are great, but I think if we really are "The Independent Gaming Source", and our forums are "The Independent Gaming Discussion" then there should be more player-focused stuff here.
I like the balance of things as they are at the moment.

Awful idea. Why must every other thread be an insipid navel-gazing examination of this community?
Every other thread?  You exaggerate, I think: this is the only such one I can spot that's active at the moment.

I don't like this use of the term "idea people"; irony notwithstanding, it has rather elitist, condescending, and anti-intellectual airs.

Quote from: Moi
I think this is something we need to overcome soon, because the sooner we can overcome this, the sooner indie gaming can get itself an intelligent and devoted audience, like independent film currently enjoys.
FWIW, I personally have no desire to 'overcome' this.  I like the blurred line.  I don't particularly like the audience/creator divide.

I think that's all of my two cents now.
Seconded. Everything is fine just the way it is.
ChevyRay
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 02:29:37 AM »

That's the attitude, Renton Smiley
Movius
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 02:59:51 AM »

I often wonder why a website about independent game development would need all this solidarity forever bullshit and rules about who can and can't play in the sandpit.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 03:42:19 AM »

Cause we're in-dee-pendent and we don't need nobody nohow Angry

Nahw GIT a'fore'n you meet the bizness end ah ol' Double Barrel Bessie here, see Huh?

tweet tweet @j_younger
ChevyRay
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 03:57:22 AM »

I often wonder why a website about independent game development would need all this solidarity forever bullshit and rules about who can and can't play in the sandpit.
I don't Grin
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 04:43:17 AM »

I don't see the problem. TIGSource is great for both game devs and people who are just generally interested in games.
I actually think I belong to the later group more than to the first one, even if I am a game developer and enjoy learning and getting feedback from here.

It's just nice to see what cool games are out there and what other similar-minded folks think about them. I enjoy the random fun too and sometimes I hardly even remember this is supposed to be a game development community and not a private forum for a bunch of friends interested in games.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 07:40:44 AM »

Quote from: Moi
I think this is something we need to overcome soon, because the sooner we can overcome this, the sooner indie gaming can get itself an intelligent and devoted audience, like independent film currently enjoys.
FWIW, I personally have no desire to 'overcome' this.  I like the blurred line.  I don't particularly like the audience/creator divide.

I think that's all of my two cents now.
DUDE!
This is not my post, don't put words in my mouth okay Lips Sealed

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
increpare
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 07:51:06 AM »

DUDE!
My bad.  I've fixed the attribution.
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 07:52:25 AM »

Everything is fine just the way it is.

but really, i agree.  i wouldn't change a thing about tigsource now.. we have the perfect balance of talented programmers to talented artists to talented musicians to talented designers to talented werewolves, and i think we get along really well the way we are now.  we have intelligent discussions like this, we make awesome games, we collaborate, we TIGjam ...what's not to like? 

What's TIGS about?
TIGS is about being part of a community in which members collaborate with each other, fuck around, make games, receive criticism, make art, music, etc. and all the while are pushed towards a greater level of success.
Tigsource is a forum geared towards people who create.
tigsource will probably not be a good fit for someone who comes here expecting to find someone to make his brilliant idea for him; it'll be a great fit for someone who doesn't know how to make his brilliant idea so he asks how to do it himself.

tigsource is perfect right now.  i honest-to-blog mean it, too.

Renton
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 07:56:12 AM »

I ached to write those in red, but I feared someone would start the Polybius train again and I'd be blamed.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 09:54:12 AM by Renton » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 09:28:51 AM »

DUDE!
My bad.  I've fixed the attribution.
THANKS  Smiley

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 09:29:09 AM »

I ached to write those in red, but I feared someone would start the Polybius train again and I'd be blamed.
CHOO CHOOOO

Movius
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 09:36:43 AM »

I would throw in a video game reference here. But it might encourage gamers to think they belong on this site about games and we can't have that.
Corpus
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 09:58:13 AM »

I believe it would bring along too many gamers and "idea people".

This is not the first time I've heard this sentiment around here, and I'm all for it.  You know games are on their way to being treated as a valid art form when game creators only want to associate with other game creators.

Is this sarcasm?

I don't know if you've noticed, but TIGS is not a place where everyone strives to push games into the arena of the arts. Some people think they're art, and some people don't.

Just have fun. Have fun making games, have fun playing games and have fun talking to other people in the community. Post things that are interesting and that contribute to the forums.

Don't be elitist. Developers, talk to the players. Players, talk to the developers.  People that swing both ways.. you know what to do.

Stop whining. Go with the flow. It's all groovy, baby. Feel the nerd love.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »

Stop whining. Go with the flow. It's all groovy, baby. Feel the nerd love.
Sounds good.  I guess I should apologize for starting this (whiny) thread.  I do like what we have going here at TIGS, and I can definitely say I'd never want any big changes; maybe just another layer of sub-forums to better organize the General and Indie Games sub-forums.  I think it would be great if there was a sub-forum for discussions about specific games, instead of these threads being peppered throughout the entirety of the Indie Games sub-forum.

All of this said, I do love TIGS and I think neon's comment helped me to realize what I think TIGS is about (and should be about) too:
Tigsource is a forum geared towards people who create.
Grin
december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 06:57:57 PM »

Hey now!  I'm mainly a player of games, and I still feel welcome here.  Though I did start frotzing around in processing because of this place.  It's plenty welcoming for all types.  The only thing that might chase away the people who have an "awesome idea" for a game is seeing what all is involved and how most people here are already involved in their own projects.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Seth
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 07:10:41 PM »

I believe it would bring along too many gamers and "idea people".

This is not the first time I've heard this sentiment around here, and I'm all for it.  You know games are on their way to being treated as a valid art form when game creators only want to associate with other game creators.

Is this sarcasm?

Yeah, I'm being sarcastic.  I'm not saying we should push games toward the arts so much as I am saying it'd be sad if this was a place for people like snobby artists who only respect other artists.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »

There are advantages to having a forum just for indie game developers, though. I don't think it's snobbish, or even that TIGSource should focus just on developers, but there's a lot to be said for being able to talk to others who have experience making games, as opposed to a thousand people who don't jumping in and offering their opinion too, which tends to clutter things up with a huge noise to signal ratio.

Which is why I like the Eo community, it's an invite-only community for the best Game Maker developers, and the discussion we have over there are extremely productive compared to the Game Maker Community, because of the higher level of experience and knowledge the people have there. It has nothing to do with elitism at all, it's just very useful to have a place where you can talk to experienced game developers.

Corpus
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »

Ah, jolly good, Seth Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic