Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 06:23:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat's TIGS about? (formerly: indie consolidation at TIGS) solved
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: What's TIGS about? (formerly: indie consolidation at TIGS) solved  (Read 8991 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »

There are advantages to having a forum just for indie game developers, though. I don't think it's snobbish, or even that TIGSource should focus just on developers, but there's a lot to be said for being able to talk to others who have experience making games, as opposed to a thousand people who don't jumping in and offering their opinion too, which tends to clutter things up with a huge noise to signal ratio.

Which is why I like the Eo community, it's an invite-only community for the best Game Maker developers, and the discussion we have over there are extremely productive compared to the Game Maker Community, because of the higher level of experience and knowledge the people have there. It has nothing to do with elitism at all, it's just very useful to have a place where you can talk to experienced game developers.
I can definitely agree with you about this.  I mean, I got stuck during a project in GM where I needed to do something with files, the GMC was of course useless, and when I asked here, you looked at my code and showed me what I had done wrong right away.  Thanks again for that help, it was when I was new here, so it was that much more awesome!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2008, 11:31:34 AM »

There are advantages to having a forum just for indie game developers, though. I don't think it's snobbish, or even that TIGSource should focus just on developers, but there's a lot to be said for being able to talk to others who have experience making games, as opposed to a thousand people who don't jumping in and offering their opinion too, which tends to clutter things up with a huge noise to signal ratio.

Which is why I like the Eo community, it's an invite-only community for the best Game Maker developers, and the discussion we have over there are extremely productive compared to the Game Maker Community, because of the higher level of experience and knowledge the people have there. It has nothing to do with elitism at all, it's just very useful to have a place where you can talk to experienced game developers.
I can definitely agree with you about this.  I mean, I got stuck during a project in GM where I needed to do something with files, the GMC was of course useless, and when I asked here, you looked at my code and showed me what I had done wrong right away.  Thanks again for that help, it was when I was new here, so it was that much more awesome!

If you mean this thread, I think your memory was too kind, as looking at it I seem give four wrong answers before giving the right one.  Embarrassed

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2008, 11:36:11 AM »

Yeah, but I posted in the late afternoon and then went out for the evening.  When I got home I had all of your replies, including the right one.  It also looked like you went into a little trouble to get it to work, so I was really grateful!
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 02:15:20 PM »

I'm a non-developer, but I also got the impression this board is just alright for players and devs alike, especially because it is structured just like that. While I do find it interesting to read about the development of games I totally stay out of discussions about that in the respective sections of the board, knowing I could really just be such an "idea guy". At least it seemed to me like others who are "only players" act similiarly.
But I don't feel out of place here in the "Player" section and it always seemed to me like a nice place to talk about the games themselves, and if the development, then not in a very specific way.
This community generally seems respectful enough so that it works like that Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2008, 08:34:03 AM »

It find it inadequate to create sub-forums for some developers, I find that elitist and arbitrary, as if Derek, the community, or whoever was in charge decided who is good and who isn't.

As if this community wasn't engaged in that practice anyway. Roll Eyes

medieval
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2008, 08:35:56 AM »

Yeah. Please. Let us not be elitist like that or we'll turn out like the GMC
Corpus
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2008, 08:09:40 AM »

It find it inadequate to create sub-forums for some developers, I find that elitist and arbitrary, as if Derek, the community, or whoever was in charge decided who is good and who isn't.

As if this community wasn't engaged in that practice anyway. Roll Eyes

Well, we wanted to put this off for a while and have the vote in the Top-Secret Council of TIGSource like we usually do, but, as CraigStern forced our hand on this one, we're just going to have to do it right here and now:

PUBLIC VOTE TIME.
Is CraigStern...
(a) Good?
(b) Not good?

Remember the gravity of your actions, forum members. If Mr. Stern is deemed Not Good, we will of course have to follow standard procedure and edit his posts until he becomes a meme before faking his sudden disappearance from the forums.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2008, 09:16:45 AM »

I just got a fax from Flashbang inc., I'm affraid we'll have to let mr CraigStern go.  Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2008, 10:41:05 AM »

Damn! I was so close! So close to being accepted as indie...

Cry

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic