Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:48:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSumi-e Game
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Sumi-e Game  (Read 17275 times)
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 12:07:15 AM »

The texture looks a bit too Photoshop for my tastes. Too regular.

Also, I was able to beat that mockup level in my mind.

Renton
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 12:39:53 AM »

I was about to say that. Try some textures from sites like cgtextures or even DeviantArt.
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 01:41:22 AM »

Are you some kind of super-being?
Renton
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 01:51:58 AM »

Are you some kind of super-being?
You didn't know? He's the God's nephew.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 01:57:51 AM »

Psh, come on. That level is easy: Even I made it.

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 02:41:27 AM »

Hm.

I really like the look of this, but I think you need to think about additional gameplay mechanics - as it is now, most problems can be solved by simply filling one row/column at a time while watching out for dead ends, and while it can be fun for awhile I don't see how you could create puzzles that are particularly challenging. Maybe you could have teleporters, different colors, blocks that need to be painted over several times, several levels... The possibilities are near-endless. Any thoughts on extending the gameplay?
Renton
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 03:28:32 AM »

Whaddya know? I finished it in my mind too.
Bonesaw
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 04:39:49 AM »

2ez
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 04:42:50 AM »

WHY ARE YOU ALL MESSING WITH MY HEAD SO MUCH.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 06:46:38 AM »

the first few levels will be simple ones like I have now but I would like to include
- tiles that need to be stepped on 2 or 3 times.
- Teleporter tiles (i was actually thinking of this yesterday)
- I am also thinking enemies, not super complicated ones that chase you, but ones that just do simple movements you would have to dodge

another idea I had was an Ink well. say you only have enough ink for 10 spaces but there are 15 on the board, you would need to figure out how to get to the ink refill space in under 10 moves, but still allow yourself to complete the level. Is this just making it overly complicated?

the multiple levels is great and I have thought about it (thinking Majhong table)
but just not sure if it would add that much.

any other ideas about gameplay additions I am all ears for.

also yes the background texture is horrible and just threw it in as a test. still looking for what image to add into the background. I am thinking clouds perhaps

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »

the multiple levels is great and I have thought about it (thinking Majhong table)
but just not sure if it would add that much.

Oh, there are a bunch of things it could add. One-way passages for one thing, you could jump from a hole in a higher level and land on a lower one, but not the other way around. Also, you could have special blocks/items/whatever that fills out a certain tile on all levels, or all levels above or below the one you're stepping on (although this could be done for rows or columns on the 2D plane as well). Or if you are having items in the game, you could have items that react differently depending on how high they're dropped from, say for example a paint bucket that will make a bigger splash if dropped from two levels above. But it would change the face of the game, so it might be a little tricky.

And I like the ink idea, although in my eyes you are essentially throwing in a number puzzle into a maze-like puzzle, and it requires another type of thinking - changing what kind of game it is. Nothing wrong with that, but something to keep in mind.

And on a final note, I would skip the "F" and "S" tiles if I were you. You know where you start anyway and since you have to fill all tiles tagging the one where you need to end up is just needlessly helping the player.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 07:12:35 AM »

i will have to think about the multiple levels and see what i am able to code.

I have gotten some complaints from people saying they are not sure where to end so I tried out making start and finish blocks. the S and F are a little silly. so do you guys think I should get rid of the start and finish blocks all together or making them look better.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 02:54:17 PM »

another idea I had was an Ink well.

I like this idea, but didn't really like the others. I'd rather the core mechanics were kept as pure as possible. Like the beautiful Polarium.

I think just a starting tile should work. No need to end in any specific tile, right?

Renton
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 02:57:27 PM »

Inkwell? Yes. Enemies? NO!
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 06:17:59 PM »

yes I am liking the inkwell idea more and more. I am removing the finish tile, and looking for more "majhong" like tiles to be the other special kinds (paint, teleport perhaps)

the enemies were not anything to rough they basically just moved back and forth across the level. you could not fight them or anything you just dodged them as they passed.

i will definitely check out polarium

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 09:30:02 PM »

Oh man, you haven't played Polarium? It's actually among my favorite puzzle games ever. It doesn't have many fans since it was a rather low budget DS game, but it is just the most elegant design ever. You can play a flash clone here: http://www.blackflip.org/

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 09:48:39 PM »

found a copy of polarium and gave it a spin. pretty cool, little confusing at first, and some UI stuff is a little odd, but overall pretty good.

whats done so far
- player movement
- 1 step tile to red
- 2 step tile to 1 step

working on more concept art for main character. coming along nicely.

sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 10:08:45 PM »

please let it be an akward fat man :D
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 07:08:33 PM »

So it looks like your game is almost ready for an alpha release?

found a copy of polarium and gave it a spin. pretty cool, little confusing at first, and some UI stuff is a little odd, but overall pretty good.

It's a launch title, so yeah. About it being confusing, you'll grow used to it soon; it's quite mind-bending at first, but you really learn to see the patterns, and then you're doing things you thought impossible at first. It's kind of amazing to look back and discovering how much you have improved; it's a bit like climbing on a baloon and suddenly looking down, only to find that your house is the size of an ant. Puzzle mode is where it's at, though.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2008, 09:40:03 PM »

still chugging away. been coding all weekend. having trouble with the game recognizing that you have colored in all the tiles. hope to a few level demo soon.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic