Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:59:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSumi-e Game
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Sumi-e Game  (Read 17289 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2008, 10:29:22 PM »

yay problem solved. 8 playable puzzles so far.

things to work on now
- Death coding
- more special tiles
- background, and main character art
- Frontend and UI

DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2008, 05:05:19 AM »

...but I want to play it now.
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2008, 11:46:22 AM »

These two similar games might help in terms of ideas.

Yours is in a very different style though, I like it. Smiley

Last release: sync::routine
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2008, 07:37:17 PM »

I am ARTing as fast as i can.

stuff
- more simple coding done, nothing to flashy
- adding the inkwell
- tinkering with art to get a more zen feel to it. (thinking blocks float on water          and adding coy fish and stuff.)
- trying to grab every single piece of koto music i can find.

still working guys. still working

and thanks for those demos, I always like to see whats been done before so I know how to adapt mine where others have problems.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2008, 09:29:25 AM »

sorry if nothing has shown up here as of late. I am currently in the processing of moving. (from LA to north of San Fransisco). so much of my time is spent putting things in boxes, which will soon be my computer.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2008, 08:30:50 PM »

well a very very poor demo

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a502a80111bec261d2db6fb9a8902bda

two puzzles and still no main character

thinking of having everything seem like it is on water, not sure though.

added debug
N next puzzle
P last puzzle
R reset

be gentle

DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2008, 05:00:56 AM »

Well hell. Now I have to get WinRar.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2008, 02:16:47 PM »

It's beautiful so far! I'd make the start tile red (or a different color) though, just so it doesn't look like it's not been stepped on. The swaying of the, um, things in the water should probably be in only one direction, too, because right now it kind of looks like the wind was going in one direction, and then suddenly in the opposite.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2008, 03:09:23 PM »

yeah good point on the grass in the wind. Yeah I am actually looking at Majhong tiles, so most likely they will be the start and teleports.

I did not include the Ink well, do you guys think that that would add to the game or detract from it.

also should I add more blue to the background for a more watery feel, it also might help the red pop.

DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2008, 02:15:13 AM »

Yeah, just a shade more blue couldn't hurt. I rather liked the paintings better, but those are nice too.

I really like how it just fades into a new level. Very mellow.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2008, 04:35:54 PM »

I did not include the Ink well, do you guys think that that would add to the game or detract from it.

I'd have to play some high-level stages first, with and without the well.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2008, 06:18:23 PM »

please let it be an akward fat man :D
Great seeing you more outside of the Cafe thread serene; that idea is definitely TIGS worthy.  I have this great/disturbing idea of a fat man waddling from tile to tile, lumbering as he does so.

I am ARTing as fast as i can.

stuff
- more simple coding done, nothing to flashy
- adding the inkwell
- tinkering with art to get a more zen feel to it. (thinking blocks float on water          and adding coy fish and stuff.)
- trying to grab every single piece of koto music i can find.
Definitely go with water and coy fish; the first of those two mock-up screens was by far my favorite because you're looking down at an angle on both the tiles and the background.

OK, just played the demo.  Hmm, if possible try and combine your current art style with that first background mockup (rocks in water).

I think the well idea is really good, and would work great as something that gets eased into the game to keep it interesting (puzzle games always benefit from things like that).  The idea also "makes sense," which isn't always the case with puzzle game elements.

Oh, and a little weird complaint: I think the character should hesitate slightly after landing on a new tile, instead of just flowing across unpainted tiles as it does now.  Admittedly it would be more "stop-start," but I don't really like the way it feels now.

And I really like the game/game concept btw just in case that didn't come across.  Kiss
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2008, 12:16:27 PM »

hey, the game is going good. re-doing stuff. and designing puzzles and all that.

I have hit a snag with my main character. the original design does not read very well with the current art and camera angle, So I am back to the drawing board redesigning the new character.

if anyone has any ideas, or suggestions now would be a great time while I am still early on in the design process.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2008, 01:47:02 PM »

A girl in a yukata.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2008, 05:54:32 PM »

actually after doing much research I am thinking of going with a variation on the story of peach boy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momotar%C5%8D

although your idea has merit. my original idea was a young boy, but changing it to a young girl might completely work, and give me the variation in my story. (loose adaptation at best at this point). Plus I kind of like the girl in the yukata idea. I will be drawing all night.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2008, 11:01:30 AM »

I think I just said that because of how much I love

in Rhythm Tengoku. So just go with what you feel is best. Momotaro sounds good.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2008, 10:43:20 PM »

character design test, like the body. hate the hair. (yeah that hair its not pyramid head from silent hill). wondering if it will look better animated. feel free to tear the hell out of this. by the way her name is Sakura. I actually did a particle test, and as she moves, cherry blossoms appear and are blown away. I can post a tech demo if that would help. It is not necessary for the game, just another art idea added.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »

The petals blowing away sounds great. She looks beautiful, too; the hair could probably look better if it was wildly animated. She's gonna have a face, though, right?

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2008, 11:23:20 PM »

I like the idea of the petals.  The hair might not be a problem once it's animated.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic