Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411980 Posts in 69438 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 16, 2024, 05:18:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessBusiness Buffs, can you see anything wrong with this site?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Business Buffs, can you see anything wrong with this site?  (Read 1128 times)
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:13:22 AM »

Whenever I publish a new site I eventually find pretty major problems with it (no meta data, wrong html title, no facebook button etc.)

So please check out my new game's dev blog
http://www.flyleapstudios.com/kingdomsrise/

and tell me if you think it's missing anything a dev blog aught to have, since I'm sure most people here have dev blogs of their own Coffee

I haven't gone promoting this website yet, so that's why it doesn't really have any content, it has no readers yet, I wanted to run it past you guys before I go trying to build that

Ant
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:28:29 AM »

Couple of quick thoughts:

- Header is way too big, I have to hit the Page Down key just to see any content. Consider superimposing the Kingdoms Rise logo over the header images.
- Posts need usable tags.
- Could do with a dedicated Media page.
- Allow guests to post comments in the Contact Us page, it's the simplest way of contacting you.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 03:06:38 AM »

Thanks! Good spotting, I'll do those things

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:42:47 PM »

OK, so I've made a media page, set up tags and categories on the posts and also allowed guests to post private comments as a means of contacting me.

I have also reduced the vertical space given to the game's logo in the header but I'm hesitant to reduce the size of the header banner, I see the visual style of this game as one of it's main appeals and don't really want to compromise on how much the site shows it off,

But I still do think the actual readable content need to be higher up.
So, looking at the layout of the page you can see there's quite a lot of blank space between the pages/search bar and the first posts title, also there is a fair bit of space between that title and the date, then the date and the post content.

I was wondering if any wordpress/php gurus might already know how to change the template to reduce all that wasted space. (since wordpress is pretty common)

I know how to open the wordpress theme editor, but I really have no idea what I'm looking at in terms of the php there.

If anyone could help that would be great, if not I'll just have to learn php eventually I guess

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:50:29 AM »

There is a lot of space, because that makes the text more easily readable. You could put the date at the bottom-right of the post, next to the tags though.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:07:41 AM »

Yeah, I don't like how much room the date makes for itself when it's not even important to me, I think I know a guy on facebook who can walk me through fixing the layout, I'm just waiting for him to come online

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »

Ok, I found some help with finding the right tags in the php, moved the date to the bottom of the post and reduced the padding around the post title, do you guys think it's all good now?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 06:34:58 PM »

the top part is still way too big. you don't need the logo; keep the image and put the logo *on* the image, to the side of it or over it. there's no reason to have a huge logo and then a huge image separately taking up valuable vertical space

it also has two search boxes. one right on top of the other. why?

i'd also remove the wordpress thing. wordpress screams 'unprofessional' and most people will be able to tell it's wordpress anyway but why advertise it with a 'proudly powered by wordpress' at the bottom? that's like writing 'proudly drawn in crayola crayons' on the bottom of your drawings

feminazi
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 07:23:05 PM »

believe it or not but my monitor is liek 768pixels high!!!

also you might want to fix that rss/twitter/facebook thing. not only is the alignment wrong youre using mismatching sizes/style for the icons
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 04:04:52 AM »

What they said. I have 1024px high screen and the logo+header image take half of the viewing area.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic