Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:42:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsM.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: M.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)  (Read 69959 times)
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »

Retromite is happy to announce its next project M.I.N.T has finally begun active development, and besides doing weekly updates on our blog we've decided to do a much more frequent and detailed development and design log here.

M.I.N.T is a turn based tactical wargame that is skirmish oriented and draws inspiration from traditional table top games like BattleTech, and Warhammer 40k as well as from a long and rich history of both wargames and tactics games in computer form.

The game will feature single player, as well as multi-player modes with support for both hot seat and online internet based play. We're currently aiming to support online ladder play, clans, and custom map sharing.

M.I.N.T has just started development using our own C/C++ framework and is in the very early stages of game engine development and prototyping. As such there isn't much to show currently in that area, but it does have a fair bit of initial artwork completed that you can see below.

Overall Mockup

A few Initial Unit Designs

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:51:19 AM by Gregg Williams » Logged

Flink
Level 1

Visiontrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 09:32:10 PM »

Looks great! By seeing the mockups I get images of combination between Advance Wars and the good old Front Mission 3 for Playstation, that would be a sweet combination. Coffee

Zaxuhe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 09:37:49 PM »

I really like the art  Big Laff
thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »

Congrats on #2 for December at pj. The game looks amazing.
SuperGT86
Level 0

Rural Australian dev studio.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:27:10 PM »

Looks great guys, slightly similar to something I'm trying to do (inspired by 40K army building and miniature game tactics) but yours looks to be on a larger scale to mine.

Adore the art style too, love the animation, will be keeping a very close eye on this one Smiley

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:20:05 AM »

D'aww

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:30:04 AM »

I know I've said it on G+ quite a few times but it's looking awesome. Loving the way this game looks.

Can't wait to try a build Smiley

K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:00:13 AM »

I freaking love the art! Can't wait to give it a go

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 03:07:45 AM »

Looks really good - I just can't stop myself from thinking about advance wars.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 07:21:28 AM »

Glad you guys like the art Smiley

So a few more design details and goals for the game.

We want to allow unit customization. For instance using an existing mech chasis, but customizing its load out, and potentially other factors like armor and so forth. How deep of customization this will be is yet to be settled, nor if it will be available to all unit types or only select units.

Currently the general plan is to have X number of unit slots that a player may field. This number maybe restricted by the particular map, and other factors. In addition to a limited number of slots we will most likely be using a point based system. So basically each unit would have a base point cost, and customization of the unit would increase or possibly decrease this cost.

Multi-player games would then be done as a maximum number of deployed points like 500 or 1000, etc. Anyone familiar with table top wargames, should be quite familiar with this concept.

You'll also be able to save out customized designs, and custom army configurations to allow you to essentially quick select an army to play a game with.

We also currently plan on utilizing an action points style system for units. This when done right can really add a lot of depth to the game.

Mef
Level 0

8 bit massacre!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »

I really love these pixels!

Just please, pretty please, don't follow WH40K and other GW
games with "all player1's units move, then all player2's"
mechanics. I know simultaneous TB is hard to make, but try
at least "one player1's unit, then one player2's unit, untill
all units get used/activated".

"Stand rigid for the next battle
Peace means reloading your guns
The love for life is all hatred in disguise
A carnival creation with masks undone"
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 10:18:17 AM »

You are the awesome guy from the Pixeljoint! Your pixel art are pretty clean and beautiful. I wish you success and good luck with the game development.
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »

Yeah we will see about that. The igougo system is pretty standard in a lot of wargames, and for good reason sadly. While I am a fan of initiative based solutions as well. Though they tend to not scale so well once you have to many units in a game. At least unless you start getting into only allowing X units to activate a turn like Heroscape did with its turn markers and such.

You are the awesome guy from the Pixeljoint! Your pixel art are pretty clean and beautiful. I wish you success and good luck with the game development.
Cheers that would be the other half of Retromite, I'm the coding half. Smiley If we're lucky though my German friend might indeed bless us with his presence in here, though than again.. I currently have him locked away making tile sheets.

SuperGT86
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »

I really love these pixels!

Sorry to but in again, I just developed a system to allow this last night, can be used for asynchronous turn based. Essentially each turn is split into deciding movement and then attack, at the start of each turn you sorta get a replay of the last one if that makes sense... Can be used in a play by mail system but keeping the advantages of having units from both sides activate within the same turn Smiley

PeteDevlin
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 12:53:22 PM »

Just chipping in to say it looks cool!
geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 04:46:56 PM »

Looks great, really love the art! Will definitely be following this.
toipot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 06:18:28 PM »

The mockups look fantastic!  Gentleman

I'm getting the advance wars feeling also.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »

I remember seeing that mockup somewhere else and thinking it was really cool, glad you've made a Devlog Smiley

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 08:02:25 PM »

Looks great guys, slightly similar to something I'm trying to do (inspired by 40K army building and miniature game tactics) but yours looks to be on a larger scale to mine.

Adore the art style too, love the animation, will be keeping a very close eye on this one Smiley
Thanks, you should start up your own dev log here. Smiley

SuperGT86
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 08:35:26 PM »

Thanks, you should start up your own dev log here. Smiley

will be for sure once we have something tangeble Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic