Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:03:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsM.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26
Print
Author Topic: M.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)  (Read 70038 times)
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: May 19, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »

Looks a lot better than the ones with no flash.
Yep agreed, looks like I'll spend a day or something to write support into things for that. If really wanted to get fancy, could use multiple colors and opacity levels per piece, to add some levels to it.

Any thoughts about bringing MINT to Kickstarter/Indiegogo, or is it still too early for that?

We think its still to early for that, also aren't totally sure thats a path we want to go down. We certainly want to do a paid alpha though.

Curious about something, any chance you'll open source the engine?
Honestly I doubt it. Its going to have been a significant development cost, and with competitive MP as well, open sourcing things just makes it easier to find exploits. (This goes both ways, but it really makes the attackers job a ton easier and quicker.)

Likewise if we also releases all the server side code, lobbies, auth stuff, and so forth, we would be giving birth to unofficial servers over night. We might potentially license the engine, thats something we've been approached about in the past a few times with various other games.

If you have any specific questions about the engine though, feel free to ask.

On a different note, looks like we got some RPS coverage. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/19/devlog-watch-gastropoda-gangster-tactics-m-i-n-t/

harperrb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 19, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »

Just saw your spot on RPS. Love everything I saw. Can't wait to give you my money.

Awesome job guys, I'm super excited to see your work.
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: May 21, 2014, 04:16:11 AM »

Cheers!

So added in the flash support. Also noticed the damn rendering clip problem with the animation :/

HughSJ
Level 1

'allo there

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: May 21, 2014, 04:33:06 AM »

These animations are looking gooooooood Gregg Beer!

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: May 21, 2014, 04:47:26 AM »

These animations are looking gooooooood Gregg Beer!

Cheers!

That programmatic flash alpha needs a bit of tweaking, bit to transparent I think, but then again it along with color is able to be fully controlled. So thats an easy tweak Smiley

HughSJ
Level 1

'allo there

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: May 21, 2014, 05:16:34 AM »

Are you applying like a white 20% screen to the mech components adjacent to the weapon in order to create that? I can tell that the flashes are based around entire sprite assets, but beyond that I don't know enough about your engine / asset rendering to make more educated guesses.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: May 21, 2014, 05:24:04 AM »

Just drawing a duplicated part of the unit, but using a shader to hue it a solid color than overlaying it at some alpha percent. The above is 50% probably should be more like 80%.

simple command to configure. unit_id, anim_id, animation_frame, color, unit slots to apply it to.
AddFlashToSlotsForAnimationFrame(1, 11000, 1, 255,255,255,128, {LEG_R, SHD_R, SHD_F_R, CROTCH, TORSO});

HughSJ
Level 1

'allo there

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: May 22, 2014, 11:37:11 AM »

aahhhhhh I see what you did there.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: May 25, 2014, 03:41:22 PM »

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: May 25, 2014, 11:13:23 PM »

Love those details!
Also easy to understand what it would do.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: May 26, 2014, 10:41:30 AM »

Getting a heavy Dune II vibe from those tanks. That's a good thing. Grin

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: May 26, 2014, 02:27:36 PM »

Cheers! Started working on line of sight code yesterday, Breshenham was giving me headaches oddly, but should be wrapping up today.

Christian, whats happening with Hostile Takeover? You still in stealth mode or what? Smiley

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: May 26, 2014, 08:12:08 PM »

So fire arcs, and LOS to those fire arcs is now working.

You can't see the weapon selected in these shots, but the actual fire arcs look like this. (0 is not valid, 1 is valid, 2 is the unit.)

Cannons:
FireArcRight = {
};

FireArcLeft = {
};

Which in the case of the cannons, means they have a very limited field of fire, being basically just directly in front of the mech, or off to their side a bit. Of course if you get a target directly positioned in front of you, and are rocking dual linked cannons... :D

Rockets in this scenario looks like the following.

FireArc = {
};

That said, none of these fire arcs are final or anything, they're just thrown together for testing the system. So in images 1 and 2, you can see parts of the valid fire locations being culled out due to LOS checks, and image 3 is just everything in the open. Also worth noting is in image 2, the side discrepancy at play. This is actually caused as the building on the right doesn't have a full wall tile in its left top corner, where as the building on the left side does. To keep things more consistent, building foundations will probably also be shifted to block LOS as well. 

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: May 27, 2014, 05:45:45 AM »

Christian, whats happening with Hostile Takeover? You still in stealth mode or what? Smiley

Still in stealth mode (how did you see me?!?!). At least for another week or two.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: May 27, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »

Still in stealth mode (how did you see me?!?!). At least for another week or two.
ECM suite obviously!

Anyways circling back to the bloody movement system. As friendly as auto path is, its really not acceptable, as you can't control your absolute path. Which means it may want to path you through mines, overwatch fire, and also have your facing direction be shit.

M.I.N.T is quickly starting to emphasize positioning and tactics like flanking, so precision is an absolute must have. Also expect turning to figure into your AP use. Really as much as I was pining for 8 way facing and movement, 4 way only is becoming a much more interesting space, especially with how we are doing fire arcs, linked weapons, and hit chances.

So given that, I'm redoing the interface to be plotting based, you click a tile to move to, rotate if needed, click the next tile and so on until your at your max movement, or are happy with the path, then you confirm it.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #475 on: May 28, 2014, 11:11:21 PM »

Well started on the movement system revamp, part one of this was redoing the movement map and A* pathfinding to actually apply unit turn costs. Which I thought was going to be harder, but ended up coming out pretty easily. Hurrah!

So you get a much more interesting movement grid than previously. In this instance the hummer has a base movement range of 6 tiles, but it has a turning cost of 1 per 90 degrees as well. Turning costs are configurable per unit, so things like infantry will likely be able to make free 90 degree turns, but a 180 degree would still cost 1 point of movement, etc.

Anyways thats just part one of the revamp, ultimately some new interface stuff needs to happen, and you need to be able to plot your own points to navigate to, as well as apply manual turns at given locations. In the end allowing you both the ease of auto pathing, but the option of specific routing for when you care about fine positioning, as well as being able to specify your final rotation and so forth.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: May 29, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »

And the updated move control interface art is online, minus possibly some minor color tweaks. Time to get the rest of this system working!

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: June 01, 2014, 02:38:51 AM »

Some progress on the whole movement system revamp, coming along though being painful every step of the way.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: June 29, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »

This looks really awesome! I've sure you've heard that plenty, but I wanted to comment so I can follow easier Smiley

Fatback
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 24, 2014, 08:12:04 PM »

Looks fantastic havnt seen a post from you in a while hope things are going well.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic