Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:02:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsM.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26
Print
Author Topic: M.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)  (Read 70424 times)
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: July 24, 2014, 10:35:16 PM »

Cheers, life is still very hellish right now, so updates/progress is sadly still slow. (Story of 2014)

Still been working on movement interface. This is about final I believe, minus a few animations like the cross hovering, and lit arrow cycling in.

lai-studioguts
Level 0

Hello. Kobo would like to be your friend.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: July 24, 2014, 11:58:16 PM »

WAH! Love tactical games. And you said it will be multiplayer?! Amaze.  My Word!

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: July 25, 2014, 01:25:39 AM »

WAH! Love tactical games. And you said it will be multiplayer?! Amaze.  My Word!

Yep, despite perhaps wiser wisdom, I just can't bring myself to make an SP only tactics/strategy game. I like playing against actual intelligent opponents, not eventually just learning how to exploit AI weaknesses and no longer having any challenge. (Which while fun in its own right, starts to be more like a puzzle game IMO.)

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: July 27, 2014, 11:26:10 PM »

Pretty happy with this, yet working in backwards movement is being of course painful.

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 29, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »

sorry for my ignorance but I really don't understand how that little GUI works  Embarrassed
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: July 29, 2014, 11:46:11 PM »

Nah its my bad, for showing a very partial gif. I'll try an post a full system one, or a vid link later today.

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 30, 2014, 01:29:17 AM »

Nah its my bad, for showing a very partial gif. I'll try an post a full system one, or a vid link later today.

That would be great!  Beer!
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: July 30, 2014, 03:40:39 AM »

There is some smoothing out to do with rotation bits on the client still (Kinda dumb unit rotates back to old facing when hit GO, then rotates, but thats a quick fix.), but this should generally show what is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/eVh8cKPQrCA?vq=hd720;

Basically your able to plot multiple waypoints for pathfinding (giving you explicit control over paths) as well as control final facing direction, or just do facing changes without moving. 

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: July 30, 2014, 03:53:07 AM »

So what do the light blue squares represent? A vision cone?

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: July 30, 2014, 04:25:53 AM »

So what do the light blue squares represent? A vision cone?
The available movement tile destinations from your current position/waypoint, and with your remaining AP.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: July 30, 2014, 04:26:21 AM »

Ah okay that makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: July 30, 2014, 06:32:50 AM »

Do both players input their movement commands and then have them execute at the same time? I'm not sure I understand the need for being able to input "waypoints" like this instead of just clicking to move somewhere and having the game show you how many AP that will cost?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: July 30, 2014, 06:57:31 AM »

Do both players input their movement commands and then have them execute at the same time? I'm not sure I understand the need for being able to input "waypoints" like this instead of just clicking to move somewhere and having the game show you how many AP that will cost?

No, MINT is traditional IGOUGO, the waypoint system is all about fine control options and ease of use. The majority of the time you can just click where you want to go, click an end facing if you want a different facing at the end of movement, and hit go. The path that will be traveled is shown as the green tiles, and all is good. Until you decide you don't like the path generated... Perhaps because the automatically generated path is going to move you through enemy overwatch fire for instance (*cough new X-Com*) or over tiles you think mines might be planted in, or through an alleyway that would be a nasty ambush point, etc.

At this point you can choose to just do multiple moves bit by bit to go the actual way you want to, or you can just click the first destination, than the second, etc to create the path you wish to travel along, and then finally hit go and be done with it. Thats what multiple waypoints are about, they let you sculpt the actual path you travel if you don't like something.

If things like overwatch and so forth that can trigger during your turn/movement didn't exist than there would be no problem.

I hope that makes sense.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:03:56 AM by Gregg Williams » Logged

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: July 30, 2014, 07:38:27 AM »

Ah, okay. So it's optional. Cool.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: September 30, 2014, 10:29:53 PM »

So just to drop an update, August was pure chaos, and my mother finally passed early September. M.I.N.T dev has been put on hold until start of 2015 which will also find me moving to Seattle early Jan/Feb. Kawe and myself are hoping to have a great 2015 with dev, sadly 2014 was just a really bad year for both of us, and not a lot got done.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: September 30, 2014, 10:58:28 PM »

that's a shame =<

sorry about your mother,
game looks wonderful,
and good luck in 2015

<3

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 01, 2014, 08:00:54 AM »

Fuck, that interface is so good.

Conker534
« Reply #497 on: October 01, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »

good luck with everything man
sorry about your mother
marvinhawkins
Level 1

I love lamp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: October 16, 2014, 07:55:23 AM »

Condolences man. Best of luck to you.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: October 17, 2014, 07:32:30 AM »

Sorry guys, after a lot of discussion, both M.I.N.T and Retromite are being shutdown, at least for the foreseeable future. Well unless someone wants to give us a few hundred thousand dollars. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic