Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:46:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessDealing with unbiased critics?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dealing with unbiased critics?  (Read 4456 times)
adhkamiz
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:23:14 PM »

Ok this is my first topic but I thought I should start off with something that's been surrounding me lately. Ok when it come time for me to promote one of my games I always run into someone that "hates" or "dislike" me from various of indie companies i helped or was associated with because of jealousy or they get the wrong vibe from me like i think i'm better than them or some, i'm not sure, I just know they don't like me.

So when I promote my games they tend to comment and comment and get there friends to comment and find every possible flaw they can to make it look like my game is just the absolute worse, and i noticed 4/5 people that click on the forum post first check out the comments to see is the game worthy before trying themselves.

When they see comments like that it drives them away meaning i'm losing plays by unbiased people because the ones that actually do play it's always like a "You did good here but you should maybe do some work here" or flat out positives reviews.

So all in all what do I do about these peoples? Ignore them and hope for the best? or address them with a counter attack with something else that's better about the game?
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:57:40 AM »

People generally make thier friends and family give positive feedback about whatever they made so that potential customers can get a good impression of the game from the comments/reviews section

I don't really know if people consider that an issue morally, but if you do really have people out to get you, it might average things out.

Stay open to the possibility that these people aren't out to crush you and respond to any negative feedback, even if you can't instantly fix the problem, at least replying to negative feedback shows that you are a live person who intends to fix or maintain the product, which might inspire people to buy in spite of bad review comments.

Another thing to remember is that no one is going to be unbiased in some way and sometimes there is just no changing other peoples minds on a particular issue

The only thing, I can think of, which would totally shield you from any of this is if you made your game unable to be picked apart like this. Obviously it's impossible to make a flawless game, but i mean if there's anything big or obviously a potential issue, don't give people a chance to point it out, fix these things before you ship

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 05:16:36 AM »

Arguing with them is PR suicide and probably the fastest way to turn things into a total clusterfuck where you look like the bad guy. Surely you've seen that happen before? The creator arguing with critics on the merits of their game never looks good.

If their criticism is valid even though they're biased, you could just fix the problem and then reply saying that it's been fixed thank them for pointing it out. If it's a stupid criticism then still reply thanking them and say something neutral and deflecting. Ignore blatant trolls.

You have probably never heard of a man called Peter Beattie (unless you happen to be from Queensland, Australia), but his way of dealing with criticism was quite incredible for a politician. 'I've just been made aware of that and I'm going to fix it', or 'I've just been made aware of that and I'm looking into it', or 'I'm sorry about that, and I'm going to fix it'. It made him look good even when everything was going to shit and won him some unwinnable elections (despite rarely actually fixing the problems). I think it's a good style to emulate.
pfaffian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 05:30:01 AM »

If a developer seems threatened by negative feedback that is always a warning sign to me and will certainly put me off trying out their game, far more than the negative feedback by itself (everyone has critics). Even if you suspect that someone has other motives like jealousy etc and is deliberately out to sabotage you, it's better not to confront them. Trolls will just find counter attacks encouraging, and to a neutral observer it may just look like you are being paranoid and defensive.
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 06:28:01 AM »

Ok this is my first topic but I thought I should start off with something that's been surrounding me lately. Ok when it come time for me to promote one of my games I always run into someone that "hates" or "dislike" me from various of indie companies i helped or was associated with because of jealousy or they get the wrong vibe from me like i think i'm better than them or some, i'm not sure, I just know they don't like me.

So when I promote my games they tend to comment and comment and get there friends to comment and find every possible flaw they can to make it look like my game is just the absolute worse, and i noticed 4/5 people that click on the forum post first check out the comments to see is the game worthy before trying themselves.

When they see comments like that it drives them away meaning i'm losing plays by unbiased people because the ones that actually do play it's always like a "You did good here but you should maybe do some work here" or flat out positives reviews.

So all in all what do I do about these peoples? Ignore them and hope for the best? or address them with a counter attack with something else that's better about the game?

Well , it's human being classical behavior
Always looking to crush the guy close to him
You are a danger , it's a competition , so all the unfair moves will be applied.

Never give up , never ever think about it even if the ratings are low
You'll see everyday stupid games with stupid graphics gettin syupid praise.

Just stay calm and work hard . If the critics are justified , work on it , if it's ass-hole bashing , just ignore it.

ink.inc
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »

at any rate responding to critics of a finished product from the point of view of a creator is pretty unprofessional imo. john blow did the same thing with braid and it gave him a bad reputation for years to come.

PS: you might want to improve the overall visual quality of your work; even some basic studies in color theory could do you a world of good. atm it looks like a bad 90s trip.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »

There are no unbiased critics. You have to deal with them, understand where they come from and talk to them to improve.

And your site blows so much it's almost painful.

Yeah.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 09:21:35 AM »

Are those comments in a forum or in a an app store?
If it is a forum then it doesn't really matter for your sales, if that is what you were worried.
And who says these comments are "biased"? Maybe your games arn't that good? I would usually try a game if the screenshots look nice even without reading the comments.
Unless the comments say the game is completely a waste of time.
Also I doubt that people in this forum really target you and intentionally give you biased comments from the intention of affecting other people to not play test your game.
It sounds quiet paranoid.
of course there are common whiny behavior, and unhelpful comments, but people can tell who is just being whiny and who has honest feedback.

Master of all trades.
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:01:43 AM »

There are no unbiased critics.

Indeed, and nor are there unbiased human beings at all. There's this saying "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one", get used to it.

Realize that you yourself are biased about your own creation, probably subconsciously focusing on positive comments, and blaming negative ones to "other reasons" (bias, personal vendettas, they are playing it wrong, etc...).

Not being accusatory here, I do that myself. Just learn to accept negative opinions, look at your stuff and see if they really apply. And if the one giving the opinion is being a prick, or you don't see there needs to be a change, then just ignore it. It's your work, after all.

adhkamiz
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 01:09:53 PM »

Alright I would love to thank the first 4 post for the positive advice,, I will try and go with those methods and see how it works.

There are no unbiased critics. You have to deal with them, understand where they come from and talk to them to improve.

And your site blows so much it's almost painful.

Thank you for viewing my site Smiley I'm sorry it effected you so much that it almost caused pain. Never gotten that response from the other 1000s of people that viewed it so would you like me to fix it up to your liking?

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 05:49:15 AM »

Never gotten that response from the other 1000s of people that viewed it so would you like me to fix it up to your liking?

And you FAIL. Eyeliner has a right to hate your site. Trying to dismiss his personal opinion makes you look like an arrogant prick.

Remember, no opinion is more valid than other. And even if a million people agree on something, it does not invalidate opposing opinions. As another saying goes: "Shit must be delicious, billions of flies cannot be wrong".

Your reply would've been OK if you hadn't shot that "1000s of people" remark, and you had not specified this:

I would love to thank the first 4 post for the positive advice

Which is a clear statement that you don't give a crap about people that are critical, and just want positive reinforcement.

I don't know you personally, but from this thread you are coming across as a self-absorbed asshole. I know it hurts when people don't like your stuff, but if you can't handle public relations with grace, then learn to let it go and shut up, or you'll make yourself look worse and worse (Speaking from personal experience here).

Edit: *watches site* What in the name of FUNK is that?!

Two pieces of advice:

• Layout: Go create a blogger account or the like, play around with their templates, and copy the hell out of their layouts. Your page is a navigational hazard.
  • Modesty: Again, if you don't want to come across as a self-absorbed insecure prick, having pictures of girls holding your name, a poll about how much the ladies love you, and prefacing videos with overlong credit sequences displaying your name, will not help.

Your page is not bad, per se. It is amateurish. And needs a lot of polish. And a lot less ego. Answer this, why should people come to your site? For the content? Or for you? Choose one, because people that come for just one of those, will hate the other.

Oh, and this is just the impression I got from a brief cursory exploration of the site. Learn this cruel reality of websites: The first impression is often the most important. If people are turned off by the cover page, they will go away.     
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:05:29 AM by Oskuro » Logged

ink.inc
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 09:09:22 AM »

Alright I would love to thank the first 4 post for the positive advice,

cute
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 09:10:48 AM »

A thousands of agreement with Oskuro. On all he said.

adhkamiz
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 01:44:21 PM »

Ok can everyone just stop replying in here? I pretty much got the answers I needed,, so yeah,, Didn't ask for feedback on my site,, don't remember asking for feedback on my site (Unless you don't know sarcasm),, didn't really ask anyone to comment on my site,, Pretty much was talking bout "games" not "hey everyone how do you feel about my site?" Don't like how I do things then don't visit my site simple as that? No love lost,, No visitors lost,, Cool? Ok cool Smiley The answers to my question was answered already so all that afterwards was un-needed,,
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 03:28:37 PM »

Ok can everyone just stop replying in here?

Well no, it's a public forum.

Also even if you didn't point to your website, it is the only way to check what your game are. If anyone first go to your website, what do you think they will think about anything you're making?

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »

What the fuck did I even just see

I couldn't even tell what your site was for
Also what's with the ad before I can even access the site?  Lips Sealed
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 06:37:55 PM »

Obviously the best way to deal with criticism is to delete your account.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »

Obviously the best way to deal with criticism is to delete your account.
evacuate after u see ppl trying to help u and not to cheer u up no matter how bad is what u're doing

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 07:02:08 AM »

Ok can everyone just stop replying in here?

Big Laff

It's not like anyone is forcing you to read the replies, you know?

But in reality this is your problem. In your mind it is our fault for replying on a public forum, instead of your failure to just walk away from the thread.

I'm not trying to bash you, by the way. Just warning you that this attitude will end up in much grief. People online tend to be very unforgiving of any mistakes. See this thread? We are all being polite.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »

sjjjeees this thread.
food for therapists.

I wonder where he'll run ?
I hope he'll be as great as he was.

ps: you biased critics:)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: