Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:50:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEnding
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Ending  (Read 79245 times)
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2013, 03:11:54 AM »

What if the allies were literally controlled by the player? You move up, they move up. If up is a wall they perform the player's blocked animation and skip a turn.

I think the wars between the allies and enemies, although good eye candy, bear little outcome on @'s immediate situation. You're like, "oh look, the game engine is fighting itself over there, not my problem."

A tandem puzzle behaviour might make them incredibly tactical weapons.

Thoughts please.
Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2013, 07:16:41 AM »

How are the allies controlled now? Do they just move at random? I wasn't really that sure when I encountered them. I actually thought at first they were directly controlled by the player, so I would say that would be the way to go.

st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2013, 10:22:07 AM »

Allies currently use the same rules as enemies. It seemed like a really neat idea, and enemies can now track multiple targets from the new tech. But I find them of limited use in making puzzles and a liability in Adventure.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2013, 03:34:23 AM »

Changed Allies into Followers. Had to bump the Ally puzzles out of the level list because this new behaviour breaks all the puzzles. Going to have to spend some time figuring out this new mechanic.

We've got some sounds and a lot of puzzles for the time being.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2013, 01:34:37 PM »

An Adventure mode Ending!

Of sorts. I've added the door incrementers and decrementers. Basically a door will have +1, -1 or +0. Eventually creating a door that is the Ending.

I managed to get to the Ending pretty easily - the door graphic was buggy and the game has no code to manage it so it just does the puzzle ending and hangs there. Still quite fun though.

I've also performed checks along the routes between doors to make sure there's no traps or generators that immediately make the route impossible.

There are puzzles in the mix for the followers now. They aren't as easy to use as I imagined, but far more useful than the computer controlled versions.
flap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2013, 07:06:46 AM »

What if the allies were literally controlled by the player? You move up, they move up. If up is a wall they perform the player's blocked animation and skip a turn.

I think the wars between the allies and enemies, although good eye candy, bear little outcome on @'s immediate situation. You're like, "oh look, the game engine is fighting itself over there, not my problem."

A tandem puzzle behaviour might make them incredibly tactical weapons.

Thoughts please.

Have you ever played DROD ?
There is a similar "turn based hack & slash" feeling.
There also are 3 different kinds of allies :
- Mimics : they do the same movement as yours
- Clones : you switch caracter you control
- Guards (I don't remember their name) : they fight on their own, with specific movements. This one works well with switches opening and closing doors.

Also, have you thought of allies turning against you when being hit by an ennemy ? Maybe could there be interresting things there...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:58:47 AM by flap » Logged
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2013, 08:44:39 AM »

Feature creep is bad.

I wrote the code from the ground up so that it would be impossible to keep adding features. I've now locked myself out of adding new elements and I can't do different things with the allies without removing other elements from the game.

Allies also have 1hp - same as you. Same as all the monsters in the game. Allies turning against you would require health - defeating the whole point of the central mechanic.

-

I've played DROD. I had a bit of an issue with the massive size of the board (makes the opening levels quite dull).

It'd be nice to know which version I could try that would let me get into the thick of things quicker.
flap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2013, 08:57:46 AM »

Maybe the first, free, architects' edition

Allies also have 1hp - same as you. Same as all the monsters in the game. Allies turning against you would require health - defeating the whole point of the central mechanic.
They would not really need health, but rather turn from "ally" object to any kind of existing ennemy. If the ally kills the ennemy, it keeps going. If it is killed, it turns into an ennemy.

Anyway, I reckon : feature creep is bad.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:05:17 AM by flap » Logged
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »

Ah, so it would be an ally wrapping around an enemy, that would release an enemy when it's hit. Considering how I can actually layer properties together, that would actually be kinda possible with the states that are already in there. Not sure how it could be illustrated, but still it's kinda just a layer on top - sort of.

I'll consider it for Ending 2 maybe. Perhaps find new ways to combine the limited list that's there.

I've done more tuning to Adventure mode - only removing  elements that put the road between doors in check in any way. That means we now get dribbles of elements that slow you down or make leaving the path dangerous.
flap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2013, 11:57:56 PM »

"an ally wrapping around an enemy". Ah, it is funny how the same idea can be expressed differently, depending on one's point of view. After playing with the editor what you mean.

I have managed to progress a bit, and the game gets fun as move further. But hell, those 4 ways unbreackable blocks are devilish...

I still however that the interface can get somewhat consufing :
- Most of the time, when starting the game, it skips the first screen with 3 icons. But sends me in a different mode everytime. I suspect that it behaves as if I had clicked mutliple times. That glitch made it difficult to understand that there were different modes. (Try to click the "click" word...)
- I still don't understand in adventure mode what the left icon means (the cross turning into a factory, or an hand with a pointed finger...)
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2013, 12:36:45 AM »

I'm not getting the multiple click issue, I can't reproduce it. That may be individual to your setup, there's even code to ignore the first click when activating focus on the flash object so I've no idea what this problem of yours is.

The hand with the pointed finger (toggle swipe and tap controls on mobile) is on the right - so I don't know what you mean by a "cross turning into a factory" on the left.
flap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2013, 12:53:05 AM »

Oups, "right" my bad. Ok. I could not understand if it was a finger or a factory

With the clicking, I have the same behaviour in 2 different computers (Windows 7, firefox). When lauching "Ending" (after reloading the page), if I click the "Click", the 3 icons blink and I jump straight into adventure mode.

About "an ally wrapping around an enemy", a way to do it would be to combine the white square with any other object (ally/enemy), having it to turn into what killed it (an ally if it was the player or an ally, an enemy, an explosion, or anything else that I haven't figured out yet...)
MondSemmel
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2013, 03:23:06 AM »

Brilliant game! I've finished the puzzle levels. Some of them were incredibly devious!
Most of the time, when starting the game, it skips the first screen with 3 icons. But sends me in a different mode everytime. I suspect that it behaves as if I had clicked mutliple times. That glitch made it difficult to understand that there were different modes. (Try to click the "click" word...)
With the clicking, I have the same behaviour in 2 different computers (Windows 7, firefox). When lauching "Ending" (after reloading the page), if I click the "Click", the 3 icons blink and I jump straight into adventure mode.

I have the exact same issue. I play the game in Firefox on Windows 7.
1) If the browser window is not active, a single click activates the window, goes to the game mode screen and chooses the mode. A single click.
2) If the window is active, a single click directly on the "CLICK" text still picks adventure mode. Again, two screens with a single click.

In fact, when I tried the game for the first time, 2) happened to me so fast that I never even saw the mode select screen. I was immediately thrown into that mode, understood almost nothing, and quit soon. When I read the thread about the game on freeindiegame.es, I saw people mention the puzzle mode (I think), and finally figured out that something had gone wrong.
flap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2013, 05:40:36 AM »

(...) I saw people mention the puzzle mode (I think), and finally figured out that something had gone wrong.

Same for me
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2013, 06:58:59 AM »

I can't reproduce this behaviour in any browser.  Droop
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2013, 07:11:26 AM »

This game is pretty cool, nice job.

Makes me want to make another turn based game .. Crazy
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:55:12 AM by Udderdude » Logged
flap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »

Try clicking the "I" of "click"...
I have just updated Flash, and it still behaves the same.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2013, 08:34:08 AM »

Nope.

Tested all browsers on Windows XP. If this is a Windows 7 only bug then it's going to be impossible to fix without breaking it for all other users.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »

I'm not getting the "Eats your mouse click twice" issue, but a way to fix it would be to put the "Click" button lower on the screen than the Main Menu buttons.

That way it's impossible for the click to effect both buttons in a row.
rrTea
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »

Played it yesterday, great stuff, really liked it. I wish i could play it on DS (or even better GBA) :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic