Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:57:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEnding
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Ending  (Read 79865 times)
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2013, 11:33:04 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left

Tested all browsers on Windows 7, XP and OSX - no reproduction of the double click issue. I can only assume there's something with some people's hardware or software adding extra clicks.

I can solve the issue however by removing the click-prompt on the title menus. It's actually unnecessary at that stage, so it would be a UI improvement.
flap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2013, 12:22:38 PM »

Weird.
Argh. Once again I got close to what I think is the exit in adventure mode, but got painfully crushed.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2013, 01:34:16 AM »

It's more difficult with the new path digging rules, but I just managed it last night. Still needs a lot of work though.

Anyone else who wants in testing the iOS version click this: http://tflig.ht/VeDizA
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2013, 04:04:26 AM »

5 more levels plus UI fixes now online.

Added check-view into the editor - found myself wanting it so I can get a more tactical view of a level's design whilst putting down tiles.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2013, 07:21:18 AM »

Your next goal: Get a forum profile picture so I can tell your posts apart from the noobs :O
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2013, 08:21:08 AM »

Still as compelling as the last time I played it, especially so when I can actually concentrate. Unfortunately I still suck though

Life sucks and then you die.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »

Your next goal: Get a forum profile picture so I can tell your posts apart from the noobs :O

happy?
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2013, 11:06:41 AM »

happy?

Yes :3
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2013, 09:12:17 AM »

Adventure mode now starts with a set random seed. Moving advances the RNG depending on what direction you move in. The direction you step before you die also determines the room you start in.

Basically Adventure mode now behaves random, but you get one of 4 opening sequences. This is a simplified version of what I had in mind, but what I want to test is whether having these static starting layouts that diverge after play is fun or boring.

Do I try to refine this idea further, or is it just a cute idea that doesn't work in practice?

-

I removed the Vonnegut quotes. Unfortunately a lot of people just didn't get it or took it the wrong way. I wanted the game to be void of any instructional text, but having any text at all in a text-desert is leapt upon to try and define the situation.

This way at least I get to fully realise a game that has no language barriers at all.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2013, 11:54:18 AM »

Ew. Starting in the same area - even if it is one of 4 - gets old really fast  Sad
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2013, 01:37:06 PM »

Changed Adventure mode to full random. Still has progression elements to it and you still can't door-scum for a decent room. It's only the difficulty I have issue with now. It's tough, but quite do-able for a skilled player.

I think the moves taken to reach the Ending would be a suitable metric for score. I don't like the idea of killing for score, it would be much harder to escape with a perfect number of moves.

This really just leaves perhaps a few more levels and polish, polish, polish.
flap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2013, 01:51:06 PM »

Yes, it was difficult for the player to get a feeling of what that movement seeding changed for him... Maybe if it has some strategic impact (killing more or less specific enemies from a level changing the number anf types of enemies in the next level. Or door positions, or anything that we can make sence out of)
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »

I think it has to be immediately apparent that what you're doing is affecting outcomes.

Plus I think adventure mode is kinda already where it needs to be. I need to wrap this up and polish. After I've ported it then I can't start tackling those Big Questions again.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2013, 12:52:36 AM »

Does anyone else use Undo? Or even know it's there?

I use it fairly frequently, but having had feedback on the iOS version I'm going to move check-mode into the options menu. If I also dropped the undo button it would leave the whole bottom of the screen clear and make it more comfortable to play.
Ashkin
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2013, 01:29:30 AM »

Undo is for non-hardcores Cool
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2013, 01:43:21 AM »

I think I'll drop it from the next build and see if anyone notices. If it's an issue for people then it's no trouble to reinstate it.
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »

I played a bunch of levels until I got stuck and the puzzles are good.  I like the levels a lot more than adventure mode, but it's probably just my personal preference.

I never used undo so I wouldn't mind it if you remove it.

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2013, 10:35:36 AM »

I went through the first 50 puzzler levels (btw: I like it, it's a nice puzzler in that mode; not so keen on the adventure side, personally). I apparently did use Undo once, 'cause the button disappeared, but I'm not sure how. It would have been entirely by accident.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2013, 03:00:09 PM »

I've used undo quite a bit actually.

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2013, 04:03:36 PM »

Played a bit, managed to get to around 18 in one sitting. I didn't use the Undo much, simply because I usually don't realize I'm screwed until I've already died, but that's largely me not paying attention.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic