Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411980 Posts in 69438 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 16, 2024, 01:36:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessLawsuits of choosing an already existing artist/company-name
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lawsuits of choosing an already existing artist/company-name  (Read 1660 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 19, 2013, 09:12:16 PM »

I am in the process of finishing my first commercial game. I would like to call me "RetroMasters" for the first but I haven't established a company yet. When the game starts the intro-screen displays "RetroMasters presents" for a few seconds.

Now my question is: There is possibly someone out there with the same call. In case you have some experience on that matter or heard stories of hurting lawsuits then thank you for letting me know. I am really new to the business-side of things.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
@Alex@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 01:30:01 PM »

In the UK you can search Company House to find out if a name is already taken : http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo I imagine such services are offered by other agencies around the world.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:43:22 PM »

Someone could of course sue you if they have the same name, especially if it's TM or R. Otherwise it depends on the type of work the company does. If it's in the same field (IT, game development) and they were first using that name, then ofc they have a right to that name. If the company is making cars or whatever (not IT, gamedev) then it shouldn't be a problem.

I tried searching for Retromasters and there is already some company with that name. And it seems quite "known". I would probably use some other name if I were you.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 05:37:15 PM »

What exactly did you find under "RetroMasters". The only thing I find besides my youtube channel is something related to motorsport.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Uykered
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »

You could try a better name, instead of being a master at retrogression, what about progression masters!
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 03:10:34 AM »

What exactly did you find under "RetroMasters". The only thing I find besides my youtube channel is something related to motorsport.
That's what I meant. It's probably ok to use the name for gamedev but I would want to have an original name Wink
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »

RetroMasters comes closest to representing what I am currently doing. This name also evokes the respect I deserve.

Second-choice-alternatives would be "DigitalMasters" or "RetroAdvance", if not already in use.

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »

RetroAdvance seems better to me Wink
samhowie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 01:18:42 AM »

RetroAdvance is interesting because it is an oxymoron.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 01:25:17 AM »

Retromancer, Retropolis and Vade Retro are all already being used Sad

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 02:44:44 AM »

From what I've seen on google there are often multiple companies out there registered under the same names, I think so long as you aren't in the same field or trade then people won't care (so long as you don't otherwise defame their image/sales)

Also, with regards to being sued, I'm pretty sure that legally you need to be contacted with a cease and desist notice, giving you a chance to change the name before they sue you, because there is every possibility that you simply did not know there was another company called Retro Masters or whatever

But I'm just kinda assuming and guessing all that, don't take my word for it, the safe option will always be to just pick an unused name

Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 09:07:03 AM »

Now my question is: There is possibly someone out there with the same call. In case you have some experience on that matter or heard stories of hurting lawsuits then thank you for letting me know. I am really new to the business-side of things.

Being in the U.S. I can't advise you on specifics, but I can tell you how it works here. When we register an LLC or a subchapter S corporation, the first job of your attorney is to do a corporate name search. Within the states it's allowed to have the same name as a company in another state, but not the same name as a company within our state.

A Google search is a good place to start, but my attorney did the real (and legal) search. Perhaps in your country there is a similar model (I see you have a .de e-mail). Do you have an attorney? That's usually the first step in starting a company, followed by getting an accountant (unless you're well versed in paying corporate taxes).
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »

I would want to know if I should register (TM) my company name if I use it in commercial games
 Hand Joystick No No NO Hand Money Right
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 06:23:49 PM »

Would be good to know how others here handle that thing. Do all of you have a company name for putting up your stuff on xblig or steam?

I am not worried about paying taxes right now. I will have to consider that when the game generates a sufficient amount of money.

Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 10:17:17 AM »

Would be good to know how others here handle that thing. Do all of you have a company name for putting up your stuff on xblig or steam?

I am not worried about paying taxes right now. I will have to consider that when the game generates a sufficient amount of money.

Again, I'm in the states and can only speak to my own experience here. I would recommend though that you consider your taxes now. Anything you approach after the fact can include fines where taxes are concerned and other kinds of legal issues. That's all I'll say about that.

Trademarks (in the U.S.): There are 2 kinds of trademarks - "(TM)" and "®" (in case that character is too small to read, it's an R with a circle around it). You can use "(TM)" without restriction anywhere your company name or logo is displayed. It does not offer you any federal protection though. It's just a declaration on your part of what your brand is.

"®" is a federally registered trademark which you have to register with the USTPO. There are restrictions on what the USTPO will trademark. You cannot trademark your company name, but you can trademark your company logo (the rules changed recently). Furthermore, you will have to show your trademark "in commercial use". The rules for "in commercial use" are posted on the USTPO web site, but basically it comes down to having it displayed on a product your are currently selling. Most often for goods (like dinner plates for example) it could be as simple as showing a photo of the trademark somewhere on the product.

Since we are selling our product through digital distribution it's a bit trickier. Your web site will not suffice for showing the trademark in commerce use. We got ours by showing our trademark logo on a box shot of our product being sold on Desura.

There are 2 types of USTPO registration: "intent to use" and "in commercial use". You can register "intent to use" any time without restriction if your product is still in development, but you have to pay an annual fee to keep that "intent to use" registration until you can demonstrate "in commercial use" to the satisfaction of the USTPO attorneys.

Aside from trademarking our brand as "in commercial use" (which took years since we hadn't completed our first product yet), we also registered our studio name as a D.B.A. (doing business as) since our corporate name is not the same as our (now trademarked) studio name. This allows us to do business using our studio name as well as our corporate name.

How all this works in the E.U., I have no idea but it could be similar. And yes, it's a pain but it's also important to protect your business and yourself from predators. It's wise to have an LLC or subchapter S corporation as it protects you personally from legal actions and bankruptcy obligations should those things arise.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:33:25 AM by Mister Dave » Logged
Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »

The USTPO has a few videos that help explain things, though it doesn't cover digital distribution IIRC:

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/process/TMIN.jsp

I failed to mention that there are post-registration obligations too. It's on this page.
Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 10:47:46 AM »

You might also find these helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tm4smallbiz?feature=watch
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic