Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:24:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingStar Cage - A space shooter featuring full screen rotation+scrolling
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Star Cage - A space shooter featuring full screen rotation+scrolling  (Read 3833 times)
Lachie Dazdarian
Level 0

Yes

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2007, 01:03:58 PM »

Star Cage is a space shooter I made a while ago. Well, it was almost a year ago now, but I guess I'm not happy with the feedback I got. Man, I should release something new.

Anyway, Star Cage is a space shooter that features full screen rotation and scrolling, "Seek & Destroy" style, also including two players simultaneous split-screen mode. Both of these, full screen rotation + scrolling and the split-screen mode are very rarely used concepts, not to mention in freeware game design.

Star Cage features two game modes. The regular quest mode with a story and 4 stages to pass, including many different space ships to battle with different AIs. The second mode is a simple two human players duel mode where to players fight each other, unlike playing cooperative in quest mode (when two players mode is chosen).

Download: http://lachie.phatcode.net/Downloads/StarCage.zip (2705 KB)

Screenshot:

Webpage (extra screenshots and a smaller download): http://lachie.phatcode.net/starcage.php

Thank you for your feedback.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 02:22:49 PM »

You're welcome!
Oh wait, I haven't written my comments yet! Wink

Ok then, here we go!

I've played the game a bit and here are some comments in no particular order...

When we read the introduction story in the single player mode, I feel like you should be able to skip the text by pressing enter. I read at a high rate and I had to wait before moving on. I understand that people who read slowly need the time, but you should be able to speed things up a bit. The escape button idea is good, I would keep like that, I'd just add the skip one page feature.

The game is a bit disorienting at first, speically with a star background. Usually you look where you want to go and the ship moves accordingly. Here it's the opposite. It's not necessarly flawed since I got used to it after a while. perhpas the first step is a bit too hard to take. Perhaps if you design a first level with boundaries and visual landmark to help us know where we are and where we've been would help to get acquainted with the game. Perhaps putting 3 or 4 big planets or an asteroid belt that limits our movement could do the trick. This way, we would get used to the style of the game and when we start flying around free space, we wouldn't be that disoriented.

Another thing would be to make radar bigger in the screen, or at leats make our position and current direction a lot clearer. Right know, it's a bit hard to know who we are and where we are heading on the map. If a radar can't clearly tell me this information, then I have no use for it.

You could have incoming enemy alarms on-screen, such as flashing red arrows that would point from where an enemy is coming if you keep the radar at this size. This way, we would have a second warning about incoming danger.

Is there a way to get some shield back? I got alot of extra battery but didn't seem to find anything to give me shield back. Since our shield is quite important, we must have a way to boost it or at least replenish it. If we don't have any shields, it's game over and we don't wanna be game over Wink

Speaking of which... What is the puprose of the extra battery? I like how you can empty the battery quickly if you constantly shoot, but it replenishes at a very fats rate. You may want to slow the rate down a bit by the way, it's not veyr long before you're full so the fear of going low is very weak. Perhaps make it like half slower or something... Anyway, I just didn't seem to understand why I would have extra battery since it didn't make my original battery power go higher or anything related to the battery change (at leats to my eyes). You have to make this clearer to us. Perhaps it is written somewhere in the instructions but I shouldn't have to read 4 pages of text in order to see the result in-game. I should be able to tell what it does when I have it.

Speaking of the isntructions, I would put the controls on the very first page. That's why we look in the instruction section, we wanna know how to play. Then, we may want to see the rest but usually, it's more fun to experience it. usually Wink

Returning to the game now, I found that aiming is a bit hard but I also got used to it. Well, logicaly speaking, this make sense since one need it's spacial position in order to aim correctly so as I got used to the game movement, I also got used to aiming with it.

Does the enemies follow me or just move around when I'm close enough? I had the impression that they we're simply standing there, moved toward me to shoot than stopped when I passed them.... It could be interesting to have some enemies chase you a bit. I stood still for a while and no enemies got near me. Perhaps I was unlucky but no one came to fight me.

The planets you have are a bit confusing. Not that they don't look like planets or space rocks, it's just that they are really bright and I thought I had to shoot them at first. I also dodged them alot ntil I realized that they wouldn't hurt me at all... I suggest that you change the colors to make them fit more in the background than with the elements in-game.

Another thing, I'd remove the X and Y numbers in the top left corner. I dunno, it feels more like a debug function than something a player wants to see... If you think ti's important tho, try to combine it with the radar. it would be a bit more logical to have it there than seperated.

have you thought of some HUD interfacing for your radar? Right now it blends too much with the game.

All in all, you have something coming along. How do you plan to make this a bit more unique? Not that I don't like it, but it's always a good idea to offer something new. Do you plan to have special weapons? power ups? Special secret places? Levels? Warp zones? 

Anyway, keep it up! Keep us informed with further developments!
Guert

Lachie Dazdarian
Level 0

Yes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 03:07:16 PM »

Ouch, man! This was long. It's probably the most detailed feedback I ever got on the game, although it's rather on the negative side. Most people got the game controls and mechanics right away. I got most complaints (beside those who only complimented the game) that it was either too difficulty (with which I strongly disagree) or not exciting enough in the beginning (which is sadly true; most don't stick long enough to play the last 3rd and 4th stage which are way more frantic). And there’s a special 5th stage with a surprise.

The game was completed a year ago and I'm done with it. I am planning to use this engine with some new projects so all this feedback is appreciated and useful.

The orientation in the game should be a secondary thing, really. I think you approached the game on a wrong way. You don't go anywhere, nor you need to go. The game features a circular playfield, so you can't hit any edge. The point of the game is to use the radar to hunt down the enemies and destroy them. Simple as that.

Not many people complained on the radar but I know it's a thing that needs to be advanced for a future project using Star Cage engine.

Battery is only related to weapon. You spend it, the weapon shoots slower. This prevents you to make infinite long attacks and forces you to retreat in longer engagements. I think this is good for the gameplay, but it shows only in later stages where there is more enemies in groups.

Shield can be repaired after every stage. Each stage features 3 waves of enemies. Also, after every stage you can buy extra cannons, better battery, better shield, etc. Did you check the screenshots on my website?

I'm realizing that with future games I will have to install some sort practice/tutorial stages, instead of instructions. People don't react well to text instructions (sadly).

There is various enemy AIs in the game but I think most if not all of them don't follow you when you are enough far away. Yes, they stand. Different types of AIs were not necessary for this sort of game (simple shooter). Trust me. If you reached stage 3 or 4 your would realize this.

I think the game is rather unique even now, but I accept your critics. There is a lot to be done to bring this engine to a higher level. I’m not sure if this is related to uniqueness, but whatever.

BTW, each stage ends with a warphole.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 04:04:21 PM »

Hmm, I do admit that I've pointed out alot of negative points but didn't counter balance with more positive feedback, my fault. I assure you, it's not because the game is bad, I simply forgot to write them down... I apologize for the too negative tone of my reply  Embarrassed

Anywho, let's move the discussion on Wink

Perhaps the first level could be a bit a bit shorter and paced a bit faster to show the potential to the player. Or perhaps you could split it in two levels, one very small, another a bit longer. This way the player will get a feeling of accomplishment faster and will want to get more.

Well, I'm not really complaining about the fact that we have no where to go, rather the fact that we don't know where we are when we play. usually, one thing leads to another: if the radar was a bit clearer, like I mentionned earlier, the game would be less disorienting at first and we might not care about the orientation.

Yeah, I like how the battery works. Very nice. I was just wodnering on how the extra battery works.  We don't have much visual cue on its effect in-game... Perhpas you could have more significant battery power ups. It might already work this way but here's what i think. You could ahve a standard battery that doesn't fill very fast. About one fourth of the stock speed you have now. Then, every time you get a extra battery power, the battery fills up faster. So basically, you'd know from the start how the battery works and how crucial it is to get those power ups even if you have enough time to recharge. When you'll get in the higher levels, you'll really want to hunt them down down because you don't have time to waste waiting for the battery to recharge.

Ah, haven't checked the website, I simply played the game. It's good to know that you have things plan. I played for about an hour and made it to the third wave of enemy of the first stage but died before finishing it, hence my complain about not being able to replenish shields. Right now, you have soemthing that is very unforgiving since you ahve to watch out for your health for 3 waves of enemy. It's not necessarily bad, but it does make the game harder. Having shield power up could ease the experience.

As I said before, making a first level smaller would also help to see the potential of the game in an easy and fun way for the player. You don't really need a tutorial just some easy first level that allows the player to have a taste of what's coming and have the time to experiment. A small stage with a couple of items and one wave of enemies.

Text makes people read when they want to play. It's fun to read the background story of a game but let's face it, reading rules isn't that fun for must people. besides, the best fun someone has with a game is learning how it reacts. Humans are very curious and what drives us to skip the instruction is that we want to experience things on our own. Telling us everything first kinda ruins the curiosity and only leaves in the competition elements. It also depends on the personality of the player...

I don't mind if the enemy doesn't really run after me, as long as it looks a bit more alive. But of course, it's my own personal taste on this.

Well, as long as you make your best efforts to bring something new to the style, I'm happy. Some developpers simply create the minimum requirement. If you tell me that you're not like these guys, I'm 100% satisfied Wink

I'm sorry if I sound like a bad guy here, I'm simply trying to help out. I'm a firm believer of the destruction method: you try to bring down a game in every way possible. then, you know to build what failed in better way and you know that want stood tall is rock solid. And I do this to my game too, don't worry Wink

Oh and, the game is nice none the less.  I played it for a bout an hour, which is good. I wouldn't play a game I don't like more than five minutes. it captured my attention enough that I told myslef that I have to reply to your post.

Tell us how the next project is coming and don't be shy to ask for feedback. I just wanna help fellow developpers in making the best game they can, even if I look like a nasty bastard along the way Wink

Later! 

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 08:24:19 PM »

I played it a bit and agree with Guert on most points -- pacing is too slow, I disliked having to wait for the story to move on its own or skip it entirely, etc.

I'm not sure how I feel about the rotation either. It feels nice to rotate the screen, but it's also disorientating; I don't like the idea that the camera is always centered on the player, because that makes it harder to dodge bullets; rather it'd be better if the camera moved when you approached the edge of a screen (which 90% of games do, most don't always have you as the center of the camera because it makes it hard to dodge things).

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 08:32:47 PM »

I agree. The rotation is a good idea, but it kind of makes me sick.

Lachie Dazdarian
Level 0

Yes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 12:47:46 PM »

Guert, I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was insulted or offended by your feedback. On the contrary, I find it very constructive and useful.

I admit that the game lacks pace in the beginning. The only serious flaw I personally see in the gameplay. The other stuff are just nitpicks which, of course, MUST be fixed in another game using Star Cage engine, but still are not crucial for enjoying the game of “Star Cage simplicity”.

As for gameplay mechanics critics, I can only consider this as a difference of taste. Star Cage was based on an old Amiga games entitled Transplants (or something like that) and the engine was copied from there. A game called "Seek and Destroy" also uses it. The engine is what it is. It's rather uncommon so I guess quite few people find it difficult to adjust to it. The truth is, the game is rather easy once you get a handle of it. But I see I must do something about this in a future project. Somehow find a way to introduce the engine to the player on a smart way.

But the last two comments DID made me less confided in the potential power of the engine. Oh, well.

Gert, I'm currently "working" on a point and click adventure game called "Legacy of Noname General". I might try to contact you for beta-testing. You seem to be very good at this.

Thanks for the feedback to all, once more.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 05:26:54 AM »

Hello there!
Well, if you're happy, I'm happy! Wink

Ah yes of course, taste has something to do with this. Its a good thing that you don't take everything I say as it is without putting my opinions in perspective.

As for beta-testing, you could post it here and you'll get some good comments on it. I don't mind looking at the project and tell you what I think but I believe that the more player you got, the more opinions you find and the better the game will be.

Anyway, take care!
Guert

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 02:25:46 PM »

Damn, I remember that Transplant PD game for the Amiga. That ruled.
Or at least I remember many pained hours of me and my brother beating each other up over it. Yeh, I'm sure there were some good memories of it somewhere...
I'll have to try this one out.

Last release: sync::routine
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic