Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411980 Posts in 69438 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 16, 2024, 07:02:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessReleasing concurrently with huge games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Releasing concurrently with huge games  (Read 711 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:30 PM »

So we'll be releasing Anodyne soon.
We were thinking of releasing

-Next Monday (28th)
-Monday after (Feb 4th)

The thing is, Antichamber and Proteus are coming out next Wednesday (30th). They are two incredible games, and I was thinking that the press-o-sphere might be filled with coverage on them. Is that a legitimate worry that warrants pushing back release till Feb. 4th?

(I suppose waiting till the 4th would give us more time to catch any last minute disaster things)...

play hydlide 2
Toby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:02:41 PM »

Might as well wait, right? I can't see the disadvantage of waiting a week, whereas the advantages are clear - avoid concurrent release (even if it turns out not to be a problem), more time to fix bugs, prepare press kit, drum up excitement...
Also, congrats on getting to release!

Uykered
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:59:59 PM »

News sites put out like 3 to 90+ posts a day regardless of the release of small games like these. Don't worry about it.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:03:44 PM »

Yeah, good point. Not a worry (as usual!).

Releasing Feb. 4th then! I think the extra week will be good for getting the other stuff ready (trailer, presskit, etc).

play hydlide 2
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:06:57 PM »

Not really an issue unless you're in the same weight category. There's good games being released all the time. There's no 'better' or 'worse' moments, other than Christmas (or Chinese New Year/Eid/whatever holiday season in your target market). Even releasing a week after a major competitor isn't good... people will be playing those other epic games instead of looking for new ones.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic