Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:55:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNeeding some input: Is time traveling in games overused?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Needing some input: Is time traveling in games overused?  (Read 3477 times)
Powergloved Andy
« on: October 03, 2008, 06:56:58 PM »

Hey TIGers,

I've been working on a project of mine for a long time now, and I need some input on the design aspects from others. I originally wrote into my game the use of time traveling, not exactly in a Prince of Persia, or Braid type fashion, but there is some use of rewinding.

My question for the forum is; Do you think time traveling/rewinding is getting stale in games? I mean, so far we've got Cave Story knockoffs, but how long before we're saying Braid knockoffs. (Even though Braid isn't the first to use that feature.)

I know, as indie gamers/developers we love gimmicks, but is the time traveling gimmick overused?  Gentleman
increpare
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 07:00:24 PM »

I know, as indie gamers/developers we love gimmicks, but is the time traveling gimmick overused?  Gentleman
I don't think so.  It hasn't been explored much at all.  If you think it's a good addition to your game, use it.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 07:01:46 PM »

Come now, one could say most everything is overused. If you've got a good idea, run with it - the "it's just another gimmick" argument never holds up against a good implementation of said "gimmick".

Hell, what IS a gimmick? Where does one even draw the line?

IN SHORT: Go for it.
diwil
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 07:09:15 PM »

Go for it, definitely. Especially if it's about solving puzzles via paradoxes! I just love that type of headache. WTF
ChevyRay
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »

I'd like to see time travel (-ish thing) used in a non-puzzle fashion. In more of a live-action, kick-ass fashion. Like a fighting system that uses a time/position-reverse effect as a key tool.

Or something like that. Don't have an idea myself. I don't think its "old", anyhow.
diwil
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 02:16:47 AM »

That, or an RPG based on causality and time travel. I someone suggested a roguelike based on the paradoxes and whatnot, but from a technical point of view, it'd be a challenge.

But a game that uses such mechanics in a great (yet primitive) way is my favorite game of all times, Chrono Trigger. Smiley
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 02:20:29 AM »

I think that time travel is a very new mechanic for indie titles.  There are some cool flash games that are starting to explore this space, as well as games like that Winterbottom game?  (I have no idea what its called, but its the cool black and white game with the platforming and multiple replay element)  So far I think I've only seen time travel in the realm of going back to fix your mistakes, and creating multiple replays of yourself for single player co-op (Cursor 10?)

GO FOR IT.
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 02:46:27 AM »

Time travel is a huge space of possibilities that have only just begun to be explored very much.  At the moment, if two games feature time travel, they sound a bit similar because it seems to be the same "gimmick", but it's not a gimmick and only feels like one because it hasn't been properly explored yet.
Just think of all the various games based around moving through space in different ways (in two or three dimensions usually).  There are many different ways of moving through space, but also many games which use the same method of moving through space to give a completely different game.  Adding time as an extra dimension to move through should be no different.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 04:34:50 AM »

Thanks everybody, your confidence has given me the motivation I need, and put the doubt out of my head!  Cool

I'm going to post a trailer and a possible demo soon, because I'm tired of being on this forum and not showing off anything! Cry

Thanks guys!
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 11:55:48 AM »

I'd like to see time travel (-ish thing) used in a non-puzzle fashion. In more of a live-action, kick-ass fashion. Like a fighting system that uses a time/position-reverse effect as a key tool.

Or something like that. Don't have an idea myself. I don't think its "old", anyhow.
Prince of Persia warrior within?

annnd i have no idea how you could do what braid/prince of persia/bernards watch..hasnt already done. But good luck with it! I will write ideas if i get any..

increpare
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 12:06:42 PM »

chronotron had an interesting addition to the cursor*10 time-travel genre, namely the addition of paradox effects.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 02:55:44 PM »

Hmm, I think that instead of asking if it is overused you should be focusing on what makes your use of it different then what has preceded it. I don't think that any one kind of convention can be overused in a game if done well. Now that is easier said than done but if you have a truly unique spin on time travel then by all means use it. I think the only component that can be overused in a game is to use the same exact feature as the game that you are taking inspiration from (see the 1000s of Doom clones) but if you are taking a good concept and fleshing it out then don't worry about it.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Teal
Level 0

we are happy landfill.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 10:43:09 PM »

If you're going to judge it as bad only by the argument "it's overused", you could easily argue "platformers are overused" or any other such thing that is used... a bunch. I think time travel is perfectly fine if done properly and put to good use.
Aaron G.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 10:47:36 PM »

Something else to consider is whether you, personally, are going to be excited enough about your idea to follow through with it.  I know I can't focus on a game when I feel like I'm just re-inventing the wheel or stealing someone else's idea - the passion simply isn't there.  I'm not saying that's the case with you and your idea, just that it's something you may want to think about.

I generally agree with everyone else, though - go for it!
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 11:00:42 PM »

Yeah, there are literally hundreds of unexplored aspects of the complexities of time manipulation. Imagine a game where your enemies also had limited time-manipulation abilities.

It fucks with your head is what it does WTF
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic