Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:55:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs¡Cacto Loco!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Print
Author Topic: ¡Cacto Loco!  (Read 40225 times)
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: October 14, 2014, 01:27:47 AM »

So sorry this dev log has been asleep for sometime!
Here is a quick screen cap of how the new version of the game currently looks.

I ditched the shmup vertical screen progression for a smash tv style view.
I think this new view will allow for some more interesting situations with enemies.

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: October 14, 2014, 06:22:45 AM »

I'm glad to see you're still working on this!

my twitter. my itch.io page.
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: October 14, 2014, 06:24:18 AM »

Looks interesting and the colours are beautiful. Following.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2014, 01:48:15 PM »

Seki
Level 0

Revolution.

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »

Played, Done, as said previously the amount of personality is off the scales... Excellent, and Subbed.

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2014, 01:39:50 AM »

thanks!

I forgot to post a screenshot showing off the new fire power!
Patrons have early access to the latest build of the game:http://www.patreon.com/creation?hid=1276112
The build will be made publicly available soon!

bounds
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »

Looks extremely fun to play (speaking as an old Robotron addict), the graphic style is very nice with superb colors and the setting is hilarious. Also think you made the right choice of going for 'arena' style segments (if I understood it correctly).

folks out there might think I'm crazy, but I've got to rescue Daisy!
Caravaggi0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2014, 10:49:51 PM »

Looks fun.
Would it be possible to render the shadows before the walls, decorations or surface items?  I always thought it was kind of weird
when a circular shadow is drawn perfectly over a non-flat surface.
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: April 04, 2015, 04:36:19 PM »

trying out destructible terrain

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: April 04, 2015, 06:20:57 PM »

imo destructible terrain is key

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: April 14, 2015, 09:03:38 PM »

destructible terrain should be in every game

siskavard
« Reply #231 on: April 15, 2015, 07:27:21 AM »

Remember to practice destructible refrain
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: May 09, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »

The game wasn't that good when there was scenery scattered everywhere so I fixed it. Also the enemies were very wonky, I'm working on fixing that too. New enemies have better patterns and just feel better. The new scenery types are rocks that can't be shot through until destroyed, and some tombs that can be destroyed to shoot through but can never be cleared from the ground. I'm thinking I'll bring back the shrub scenery but make it more interactive, like having enemies hide in it. Basically I just want everything in the game to have a purpose and I want the scenery to be able to contribute to lvl design rather than just lookin pretty.

dweedes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2015, 04:02:05 AM »

nerba m8 this is lookin slick!!!!!!
looks like a gameboy advance game!!
i wanna play

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2015, 06:15:08 AM »

I'm so glad you started blogging on this again, otherwise I'd never have seen it. It looks really cool and unique, I loved Super Smash TV so anything along those lines is always going to peek my interest, and there's really not a lot out there.

Destructible scenery is cool as custard and I like how you want to have everything actually add to the game rather than just be pretty - I think that really helps games feel more like tiny little realities that you can slide into rather than just cheap distractions for overworked minds (we've got drugs and alcohol for that right?)

So yeah - this looks awesome. I am following eagerly and hoping that you need help with testing at some point in the near future Wink

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2015, 07:15:56 AM »

Dude! Everything is so vibrant and bouncy! The sprites are very well done too. Reminds me a bit of Superstar saga (just a bit) but it also gives me a dreamcast-y vibe, not 100% why though.

I'd love to give this a shot once you have a new alpha ready. Cheers.

dweedes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: May 15, 2015, 04:10:36 AM »

nerbz, here's my thoughts based on reading through this whole thread (haven't played yet)

- my favourite border is the brown one, the latest one before you went back to placeholder (page 11)

- that animation that you had trouble with, where his head blows up like a cartoon fire hose, i would have made it go the opposite way, as in he starts shacing, then the 'balloon' starts from his head, makes its way into the ground and lets out the BOOM. maybe like, a light orb or something appears above his head and goes into it to start the animation. if that makes sense. also explains where cacto gets the power from to do that attack/?

- nitpicking here, but maybe the border looks weird because the roses use black lines where the cactos at the bottom dont really have hard outlines

anyways yes. keep going. good

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2015, 11:20:24 PM »

Thanks everyone! There will be a build ready for testing sooon. Dwee that's a good idea about the animation being downward, I think I might just do that. The border has changed so many times that it'll probably change again. I think I'm keeping the roses in the most current border but I'll see about adding some of the features from the previous ones, like the bottom cactos. I'm waiting before I change it again because I'm still uncertain of what information will be displayed on the HUD. Like already lifes have been taken out of the game, I think the most enjoyable way of playing is having the punishment for death be placing the player back a screen/room. Maybe I'll even try out a demon souls type system where if you die in the screen your put back in then you progress even further back through the level. This might also give the player chances to take different routes on a play. I'm also working on adding some different secondary attacks like spiky cactus grenades.

I'm trying to work some secret areas into the lvl design

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2015, 08:58:46 PM »

Adding some new enemies but I don't really like their design. I think I'll add some sand trails and change their sprites to something more "Aztec" to fit the games theme.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: May 18, 2015, 12:23:52 AM »

Maybe they could be some kind of smiley Shai Hulud?

But smaller obvs. Any kind of sandy maggot really.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic