Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:43:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVolund - Medieval Fantasy 2D MMORPG
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Volund - Medieval Fantasy 2D MMORPG  (Read 11346 times)
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2015, 11:59:45 PM »

Name Tags

Due to popular request, "name" tags have been added at the last minute. The name is simply an incrementing number, but it allows you to identify each other while playing.

Fanart by SurvivorTuga:

The Caboose has been Found

I finally fixed the bug that was causing the third character in a dragging train to disappear! Apparently, the create character packets were being sent before all of the character's state was set. This was causing the character to appear outside of your screen.

AoD's Fan Comics

AoD, a regular on the livestream, has created several comics related to the game and the various bugs that we've been trying to fix. Enjoy!

Fanart by AoD:

Fanart by AoD:

Fanart by AoD:

These next two comics need some background information. So, I was in the middle of adding the name tag feature mentioned earlier. While doing this, things got a little...  Uhhh...  Crowded.  Here is a screenshot I took during the chaos:

And here are AoD's comics related to this incident:

Fanart by AoD:

While testing the nametag feature, it was noticed that the spiders also had the "shouting" name tags. This gave both myself and the livestream viewers a rather creepy mental image...

Fanart by AoD:

Community Report

Territory lines are being drawn up. Armies are forming. The prototype lands of Volund are barely under control!

The two main factions vying for control are Survivor and RedSquirrel.

Survivor has claimed this land. He even seems to have spiders guarding it! How far does his control extend?

RedSquirrel claims the rock enclosed space south of the spawn point. (note: unfortunately, the image cannot be embedded at this time, sorry!)

The propaganda machines are running, and there is already a poster floating around in Survivor's favor!

Fanart by SurvivorTuga:

A fight broke out in RedSquirrel's house. Our camera crew was on the scene, but due to an unfortunate equipment malfunction the video is being withheld.  Investigations are ongoing as to whether or not Survivor was behind this.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:44:32 PM by Michael Grand » Logged

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2015, 07:07:18 PM »

Grabbing Sprite

Today started off with a relatively easy task: Add in a "grabbing" sprite for when a character grabs on to another.

I started off with getting things setup to add the sprite to the character's spritesheet. This went well, however I discovered something surprising: It was already there! Wishing I had noticed this sooner, I quickly moved on to adding in the simple logic for triggering the new sprite.

Bugs Fixed

I managed to squash three bugs today. Two of these bugs are currently present in v0.3.3.

• When being grabbed by two other characters on opposite sides, it was impossible to escape.
  • Characters were jittering back and forth when attempting to move into a blocked tile on a northern map.
  • The character's sprite wasn't being set properly after grabbing another character. This bug was only present in development builds.

Badly Needed Refactoring

I spent the rest of the day refactoring/redesigning the server's movement code. A majority of this work involved moving methods out of the VolundServer god object and into separate classes.

The code was separated based on whether it handled synchronization or game logic. Currently I'm just throwing synchronization-related code into the PacketHandler class. Game logic code winds up in the GameLogic class, which is at least a bit better.

Community Report

Captain Argentina and Pema99 have mapped out the world of Volund! WARNING: These maps contain spoilers!

Later in the evening, Red Squirrel returned to his house to find...  A gigantic "R" spelled out in characters! Who could be behind this?

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2015, 05:57:45 PM »

The Pulling Mechanic

So, today I started work on the "pulling" mechanic. This mechanic allows you to pull other characters around the map.  Such a feature would be useful in combat, and would also aid in forcing characters out of choke points.

I decided to get it working in a simple situation first: Neither the target nor the grabber is moving. I expected this to take two hours, tops... I am currently well over 5 hours into this task. So much for simple!

I keep coming back to this, but one of the big reasons why adding new mechanics takes so long is the state of the code base. But, I am gradually redesigning it.

The Bugs

I don't have much more to say on the subject. So, I'll leave you with a sampling of the sort of bugs I had to fix today:

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2015, 06:27:08 PM »

Well, the good news is that this works!

I finally managed to fix pulling across map borders. You still aren't moving your target... But at least you are not longer getting stuck.

I still had a host of small bugs to fix today, this being one of them:

Fortunately, I managed to get most of the bugs fixed. The last remaining glitch is causing you to be unable to enter "pulling mode"... But it's so difficult to replicate that I can safely leave it alone for right now.

I also redesigned part of the movement system.

Previously, the UI was using polling to issue move and change direction commands to the logic layer. This code really did not need to be running at 60Hz.

I redesigned the code to issue those two commands based on different events. For example, the move command will now be issued when the "I want to move" event is raised, among others.

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2015, 11:01:45 AM »

Over the last month we've had fun doing the livestream. We made new friends and everyone had a great time during this month-long experiment.

After a month of livestreaming, we've discovered that we can't maintain the same level of production that we could before.

So we are no longer able to continue the game development livestream. However, we are looking at other ways to involve the community.

Development on Volund will continue. We will also be releasing daily development logs as usual.

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2015, 06:13:57 AM »

I've been following this devlog for a while, but finally wanted to just drop in and say "thanks!" and PLEASE continue making this game. And the devlog is a joy to read - you do a great job keeping it fun/funny Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2015, 10:55:47 AM »

I've been following this devlog for a while, but finally wanted to just drop in and say "thanks!" and PLEASE continue making this game. And the devlog is a joy to read - you do a great job keeping it fun/funny Smiley

Thanks! It's good to know people are enjoying this Smiley

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2015, 11:02:47 AM »

Accidentally introduced a new "feature" into the engine.

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2015, 06:06:27 PM »

The latest engine "feature": Disco!

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2015, 06:13:15 PM »

Bigger images please, I liek so far