Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411980 Posts in 69438 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 16, 2024, 01:14:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessTo kickstart or not to kickstart. (Kickstarter & IndieGoGo)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: To kickstart or not to kickstart. (Kickstarter & IndieGoGo)  (Read 1169 times)
tomshreds
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2013, 06:27:14 AM »

Hi,

This is no begging for money. I'm just curious.

I'm now starting to get my make up to life by hiring a proper artist to do the visuals, etc. But this cost money.

I could:

1) Freelance my way and wait to get enough money to pay for an artist.
2) Do some kind of quick campaign to get money to hire one.

Don't get me wrong, I only need something like $2000 TOP. So I guess this shouldn't be hard to get with one campaign, since I see other's game going crazy with sometimes dozens of thousands dollars.

So now I'm here asking for your opinion. I "successfully" reached out to almost 5000 persons in the last two weeks with reddit posts and returning visitors. So I guess some of them would be willing to give a little with something in return like the full game, beta access, other tiers etc.

Should I start a campaign and get this up and running quickly?

I'd just want the art development to go as fast as the main development so I could get ready for release soon. If I wait to get money it'll maybe push the release back 3 months...

BONUS QUESTION: I'm from Canada. What do you think of IndieGoGo? Because Kickstarter requires a US bank account to get the money (which I don't have at the moment).

EDIT: BONUS QUESTION #2: I don't need a lot of money but any amount will do. So should I ask for 1000$ and be almost sure to get it or take the risk to ask for 2000$ and maybe lose it all?

EDIT: Here's a take on how I would do my IndieGogo campaign, please tell me what you think. Any corrections or suggestions are welcome! http://cl.ly/image/2C1O3l1m1W3x/o

Please help, any advice is welcome!

Thanks and have a nice day.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:21:11 PM by tomshreds » Logged
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:46:43 AM »

I think you should at least pay the artist to do some concept artwork before you do a kickstarter campaign. A kickstarter campaign with only ideas to show for it (or bad programmer art) is bound to fail if you're not a well-known developer.

And Indiegogo doesn't have nearly the recognition and reach as Kickstarter. If there's any way you can have the campaign on Kickstarter instead of Indiegogo, you should. Then again, if you're only asking for $1000 and you believe you already have a fanbase lined up that's likely to support you, it may not be such a big deal.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
tomshreds
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:17:05 AM »

I think you should at least pay the artist to do some concept artwork before you do a kickstarter campaign. A kickstarter campaign with only ideas to show for it (or bad programmer art) is bound to fail if you're not a well-known developer.

And Indiegogo doesn't have nearly the recognition and reach as Kickstarter. If there's any way you can have the campaign on Kickstarter instead of Indiegogo, you should. Then again, if you're only asking for $1000 and you believe you already have a fanbase lined up that's likely to support you, it may not be such a big deal.

You are totally right, the artist already drew some samples but I think I will select key sprites and make him draw them and try to show what the game WOULD look like if funded.

I've been looking for quite a while for a way of getting Kickstarter to work but I'd need someone from the US to receive the money for me and I don't have friends in the US that are "trustworthy" enough hehe. So I guess I will go with IndieGogo by default.

About the fanbase, my game is far from being "super popular" I have like 10 followers on IndieDB hehe but there's plenty of visits on my development blog so I guess the word would spread around a little.

Also do you have any suggestions about how long should my campaign last? If you can check out http://cl.ly/image/2C1O3l1m1W3x/o and tell me what you think of my tiers and stuff that would really be appreciated.

I need as much input as I can, I don't want to ruin this but simply getting it to grow faster. People are already asking for demos, videos and stuff but the art isn't "cool" enough for me to let the game go through somebody else's hands.

Thanks a lot for your advice, it's very appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:23:08 AM by tomshreds » Logged
tomshreds
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 06:26:08 AM »

Anyone up for giving me advice on my IndieGogo sample page please? Thanks a lot!
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 05:15:53 PM »

Tiers look fine for me, I'd ask the artist to draw an illustration/some concept art as eye candy for the campaign, mock-up of the game wouldn't be enough IMO. Or at least it'd help

some kind of an image, not an asset is always appreciated

tomshreds
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »

Tiers look fine for me, I'd ask the artist to draw an illustration/some concept art as eye candy for the campaign, mock-up of the game wouldn't be enough IMO. Or at least it'd help

some kind of an image, not an asset is always appreciated

Thanks for the advice! New arts will be included on launch, and new screenshots with new arts too. Awesome.
tomshreds
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 09:12:27 PM »

Here's an updated version with new graphics:

Any other feedback is welcome! Thanks
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic